Hammer bullets

If I am chasing eland with my 338fed (and I wish I was!) I am looking for more weight, not trying to squeeze another 100fps out of a moderate size case at the expense of retained weight down range.

I would have you entertain the idea of going to the 236gr hammer. Ive tested these in my 338fed, and would be more confident with them then the other 2 mentioned weights. If you have Steve run the numbers for you with the high BC of the 236 you will maintain more velocity at longer range than the other 2 lower weights that slow down quicker.

This is a LONG RANGE board but if you say your shot will be close then its a no brainier, you don't need speed, you need penetration and WEIGHT WINS with big game especially in a federal size case on Eland size critters!

I have done penetration tests with wet phone books and milk jugs and the 236gr was far superior to the 213gr. The 236 expanded well and retained a nice base around 180gr while the 213 completely fragmented to a 60gr base. I didnt test 186gr because it seemed the wrong direction for me with big game at long range and ft lbs of energy.

I can PM bullet pics from test if you would like.

Also, if you haven't tried MR2000 powder in the 338fed, it gave be the most velocity and lowest pressure. I heard Hornady Lever Evolution was good too for higher velocity in the Fed.

Steve is an amazing business owner to work with and i highly recommend his bullets!
James

I was told that the 338 Fed wouldn't stabilize the 236 bullets, that the max weight was 213. I thought the 225 weight class was too heavy.

You can measure with a tight patch and a cleaning rod.

I can try and look it up with the make and model of your rifle.

most 338federal are 1:10"

shouldnt be any problem shooting any of the lower weight 338's up to 250gr(not that you would but 1:10 would stablize them)

Looking up the make and model of your rifle would be the easiest way to find out if you really want to know.
James

Does he have record of the barrel?

As stated the 10" twist will handle bullets heavier than you need.

He's good at keeping records I'm certain he'll know. If the gun will stabilize them then I'll go with the 236 grain bullet. I want all the weight I can get for the eland. I'll call him Monday.

If I am chasing eland with my 338fed (and I wish I was!) I am looking for more weight, not trying to squeeze another 100fps out of a moderate size case at the expense of retained weight down range.

I would have you entertain the idea of going to the 236gr hammer. Ive tested these in my 338fed, and would be more confident with them then the other 2 mentioned weights. If you have Steve run the numbers for you with the high BC of the 236 you will maintain more velocity at longer range than the other 2 lower weights that slow down quicker.

This is a LONG RANGE board but if you say your shot will be close then its a no brainier, you don't need speed, you need penetration and WEIGHT WINS with big game especially in a federal size case on Eland size critters!

I have done penetration tests with wet phone books and milk jugs and the 236gr was far superior to the 213gr. The 236 expanded well and retained a nice base around 180gr while the 213 completely fragmented to a 60gr base. I didnt test 186gr because it seemed the wrong direction for me with big game at long range and ft lbs of energy.

I can PM bullet pics from test if you would like.

Also, if you haven't tried MR2000 powder in the 338fed, it gave be the most velocity and lowest pressure. I heard Hornady Lever Evolution was good too for higher velocity in the Fed.

Steve is an amazing business owner to work with and i highly recommend his bullets!
James

Steve:
If you would be kind enough to run the numbers using the 338 236's in combination with MR200 as well as Varget I'd appreciate it. If I can go with the heavier bullet thinking my shot is going to be under 150 yards weight will be critical in achieving what we want and that is penetration.

Steve:
If you would be kind enough to run the numbers using the 338 236's in combination with MR200 as well as Varget I'd appreciate it. If I can go with the heavier bullet thinking my shot is going to be under 150 yards weight will be critical in achieving what we want and that is penetration.
Hmmm. I wonder if we shouldn't look at the 225g Sledge Hammer? Weight retention, momentum, and short range fit this bullet. Shorter nose length Will make for an easier feeding bullet as well.

Without looking back at the thread, remind me what cartridge we are working with.

Hmmm. I wonder if we shouldn't look at the 225g Sledge Hammer? Weight retention, momentum, and short range fit this bullet. Shorter nose length Will make for an easier feeding bullet as well.

Without looking back at the thread, remind me what cartridge we are working with.
We're working with the 338 Federal. I'm going to go on your recommendation, that being said, I just have to decide on one bullet and go with it. So far I've loaded for the 186 and the 213's. I'm going to end up with several hundred practice rounds in three different weights.

We're working with the 338 Federal. I'm going to go on your recommendation, that being said, I just have to decide on one bullet and go with it. So far I've loaded for the 186 and the 213's. I'm going to end up with several hundred practice rounds in three different weights.
Really that 186g will do you right. There isn't a wrong answer here. The 225g will have the benefit of a higher retained weight and momentum. The 186g Will be a bit flatter shooting and easier on recoil.

Recent Posts