Hammer bullet for short range bear hunting

It was more a commentary on how the bigger bear out west seem to be going down so easy and how surprised I am given the hardiness of the bear in the east and my comfort level with what to use putting them down. If I were to go out west for bear I would absolutely look at what others are doing with caliber and bullet selections.

You could of said everything with out the last line as well, the one where you're a condescending ***.
TK 1895,

I'm very sorry I offended you. I didn't mean to be condescending. Please accept my apology and forgive me.

In my opinion a bear, is a bear, is a bear. I don't believe a 250 - 300 lb bear is any harder to kill no matter what part of the country you are hunting. With that being said hunting conditions vary depending on what state you hunt in. A bear feeding on huckleberry's on a spot and stalk should be able to present a opportunity for a well placed vital shot. A treed bear or a bear shot over bait should also present a angle or position for a vital shot although sometimes a bear in a tree can be tricky. Shot placement is the key. Where the above mentioned methods of bear hunting is not allowed shot placement could be an issue. For instance in Pa. hunters put on drives same as deer drives, vital one shot kills on a running bear in the mountains is extremely difficult. A running bear same as a running Whitetail buck can be hard to bring down without multiple hits especially if the first (or second) was not a lethal hit.

In my opinion a bear, is a bear, is a bear. I don't believe a 250 - 300 lb bear is any harder to kill no matter what part of the country you are hunting. With that being said hunting conditions vary depending on what state you hunt in. A bear feeding on huckleberry's on a spot and stalk should be able to present a opportunity for a well placed vital shot. A treed bear or a bear shot over bait should also present a angle or position for a vital shot although sometimes a bear in a tree can be tricky. Shot placement is the key. Where the above mentioned methods of bear hunting is not allowed shot placement could be an issue. For instance in Pa. hunters put on drives same as deer drives, vital one shot kills on a running bear in the mountains is extremely difficult. A running bear same as a running Whitetail buck can be hard to bring down without multiple hits especially if the first (or second) was not a lethal hit.
Agreed. People are really overthinking this. A black bear is a whole different animal from a grizzly and yet some people act like it's a polar haha.

If your rifle/cartridge/bullet is suitable for all around hunting of deer, hogs, elk….then there's absolutely no insufficiency for a black bear and to the best of my knowledge there's no eastern subspecies of black bear that's bigger or tougher to kill.

Bearing in mind that I've also seen a lowly whitetail deer take seemingly impossible damage and still run half a mile (one time - still doesn't make sense to me)

The psychological and even physiological differences between individual animals can account for most of the lore surrounding how hard some people claim any given species is to kill. Some humans are the same way haha, more will to live, built tougher, or more oblivious to how much damage they've incurred…more fight in them

But at the end of the day it's just a black bear.

I won't get into any of the mudslingings here so I will just say what I have experienced with HB

Steve loaded my 7mmRemMag for me with 155gr hammer hunters at 3,260fps.

Since then I have killed over 20 big game animals with it and every single shot was a one-shot kill and a pass-through. I never recovered a bullet.

The greatest test of the bullet was a Zebra that I shot at only 50 yards quartering away....the bullet penetrated 4 feet of the Zebra before it broke the shoulder on the far side and exited.

I also shot 10 lightly boned Impalas with it as well, yet the bullet still expanded with quarter-sized exit holes.

The best of both worlds...what more can you ask of a bullet?

Hmm, I'd say chips. Wait, let me clear my mind...
ShoNuff it's popcorn.
I'd still use the hammer 166 in the 300wsm
Legend.gif