Bullet Choice for short range hunting :)

Heetor

I wanted to run this one up the flag pole after reading some good responses on long range hunting with the .308, ie bullet expansion at low velocities. I am working on a reduced recoil load for my daughters first deer rifle and was hoping to get some feedback on bullet selection.

I set her up with a 257 Roberts in a Ruger M77 with a Bell and Carlson stock, (wanted to add weight for recoil as she will be shooting off of a rest not to worried about carrying weight). Typical shots where we are going hunting are 30 - 60 yards in heavy Tennessee bush, so we are talking about a chip shot here.

Wanting to make sure things went well for a first deer hunt I did a lot of research on bullets that would expand at lower velocities for the reduced recoil load. One of the recommendations was the Hornady Interbond 110 gr, also tried some lighter Sierra game kings and Partitions.

I fooled around with reduced charges with SR-4759, Trail Boss and H4895. Getting an accurate reduced recoil load was a lot of work, but we ended up with a SR-4759 load shooting the Hornady Interbond 110 gr at 1800 FPS, that would shoot 1" at 100 very reliably, with almost no recoil. The 90 grain Sierra Game King also shot very well over the SR-4759, but I went with the heavier Hornady bullet.

This gave us 1710 fps at 50 yards and 1624 fps at 100 yards. She has been coming hunting with me for 3 years now and we have taken 3 deer, so I am thinking next year will be her first time running the rifle.

I am going to limit her to 50 yards, which is fine for where we hunt, but ultimately would like to get her range out to 100 yards. I ran this combination by the customer support people at Hornady and they felt 1624 fps was too low a velocity for the bullet.

I was wondering if I could get any advice on a little SRH hunting from some LRH guys that have more knowledge regarding killing power at reduced velocities, thanks.

I wanted to run this one up the flag pole after reading some good responses on long range hunting with the .308, ie bullet expansion at low velocities. I am working on a reduced recoil load for my daughters first deer rifle and was hoping to get some feedback on bullet selection.

I set her up with a 257 Roberts in a Ruger M77 with a Bell and Carlson stock, (wanted to add weight for recoil as she will be shooting off of a rest not to worried about carrying weight). Typical shots where we are going hunting are 30 - 60 yards in heavy Tennessee bush, so we are talking about a chip shot here.

Wanting to make sure things went well for a first deer hunt I did a lot of research on bullets that would expand at lower velocities for the reduced recoil load. One of the recommendations was the Hornady Interbond 110 gr, also tried some lighter Sierra game kings and Partitions.

I fooled around with reduced charges with SR-4759, Trail Boss and H4895. Getting an accurate reduced recoil load was a lot of work, but we ended up with a SR-4759 load shooting the Hornady Interbond 110 gr at 1800 FPS, that would shoot 1" at 100 very reliably, with almost no recoil. The 90 grain Sierra Game King also shot very well over the SR-4759, but I went with the heavier Hornady bullet.

This gave us 1710 fps at 50 yards and 1624 fps at 100 yards. She has been coming hunting with me for 3 years now and we have taken 3 deer, so I am thinking next year will be her first time running the rifle.

I am going to limit her to 50 yards, which is fine for where we hunt, but ultimately would like to get her range out to 100 yards. I ran this combination by the customer support people at Hornady and they felt 1624 fps was too low a velocity for the bullet.

I was wondering if I could get any advice on a little SRH hunting from some LRH guys that have more knowledge regarding killing power at reduced velocities, thanks.

I am by no means a long range guy and I myself am seeking advice on here but id say the ultralong range bullets are meant to expand with lower velocities so maybe you should be looking at those. Some examples are the berger VLDs and the Nosler accudbond LONG RANGE. The accubond long range has a minimum expansion velocity of 1300FPS. Do not confuse the accubond LR with the regular accubonds though. The regular ones need 1800FPS to properly expand.

If it's a super reduced load you could even anneal the front 1/2 of the bullet to make it even softer on impact. I believe there is a YouTube video on how to do this properly. IE doing it without compromising the structural integrity of the bullet through the firing process. A berger hunting vld would probably do the trick as it is, like was already stated, they're meant for long range shots and perform at low velocities.

Small deer, close range, from a rest, I would consider some of the "varmint" bullets. The Nosler Varmint ballistic tip is advertised to open at 1600 fps.

I haven't used that bullet, but load it, and have her shoot some pumpkins for Halloween, more fun than bobbing for apples in my opinion.

I think the Nosler Ballistic Tips were good for this sort of thing.

..Reminds me of when I first saw Whisper cartridges years ago - I was shocked as I thought subsonic rounds were a poacher thing - and expressed my distaste for them, but was soon explained their military application.

Jay

Last edited:
75-90 grain bullets. Allow usable velocity with your reduced load. I believe the 90 blitzing, Nosler hunting ballistic tip, and the hornady v-max will do what you want it to. Any soft tip will work well too.

Sounds like you're pretty well set on a bolt rifle but, for the distances you're going to hunt, I'd opt for a 30-30 carbine. Henry makes a nice (made in USA) rifle and you could scope it if you like. For the distances she'll be shooting I'd use it to teach her the intricacies of open sights.

Sounds like you're pretty well set on a bolt rifle but, for the distances you're going to hunt, I'd opt for a 30-30 carbine. Henry makes a nice (made in USA) rifle and you could scope it if you like. For the distances she'll be shooting I'd use it to teach her the intricacies of open sights.

I agree with this point as well...my wife's 44-40 does not kick at all...never shot a 30-30 but I imagine it to have no kick as well. BUT I think the OP said he is loading for a rifle the girl already owns so they might not want to have to buy another rifle.

Thanks for the feedback guys, this is really good stuff :) Brings back memories of me learning to hunt with my grandfathers old octagon barreled 30-30 lever gun. He used to tell me that it shoots three inches left at any range I should be shooting :)

I did mull over the 30-30, and .308 for my daughters first gun before going with the 257 Bob. For my younger sons first deer rifle I did get him an old Marlin 30-30, that throws 130 grain Speer flat points at 1800 with a reduced charge. He has a couple of years yet until he gets his hands on this one though.

I do prefer her shooting the bolt gun as a safety thing, the lever was a little hard for her to work so she needed to pull it down and grip the lever which left the barrel uncontrolled, maybe I am being paranoid.

Open sights, that is a **** good idea, it's how I learnt to shoot. Maybe I am spoiling them by giving them scopes on their first rifles. Anyway thanks for the feedback.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.