Hammer bullet for short range bear hunting

Bang4theBuck

I'm going to book a hunt to Saskatchewan for this summer and I intend to shoot a 308 win. The shots will be short distance, but I'm wanting really good bullet performance. Does anyone have any experience with any of the heavies in that class that will fly properly out of a 1:10 twist barrel?
I'm thinking one of those more blunt profiles would be perfectly suited for this but looking for someone with experience with them. Thanks

tempImageRQKhDm.png
.308 win 150 PH works!
Think lighter, faster with the hammer bullets. Or mono's in general...

I'm going to book a hunt to Saskatchewan for this summer and I intend to shoot a 308 win. The shots will be short distance, but I'm wanting really good bullet performance. Does anyone have any experience with any of the heavies in that class that will fly properly out of a 1:10 twist barrel?
I'm thinking one of those more blunt profiles would be perfectly suited for this but looking for someone with experience with them. Thanks

Hammer has a pretty good forum which may give insight into your requests/needs/wants/desires/fantasies, ect.

Wishing you great success on your hunt! 👍 memtb

I've guided bear hunters for over 45 years have used and seen many different bullets used on bears at bait hunting distances.....
One thing I have learned is you don't need a HEAVY bullet....I've seen more bears shot with very heavy for caliber bullets that don't expand enough....a bear is not that hard to kill....
For the 308 Win. I have used Cutting Edge Bullets 130 gr Raptor you will get good velocity and it will give you complete penetration....every bear I've seen shot with this bullet just roll over DRT....

There's no other bullet to use for all big game animals .....

I've guided bear hunters for over 45 years have used and seen many different bullets used on bears at bait hunting distances.....
One thing I have learned is you don't need a HEAVY bullet....I've seen more bears shot with very heavy for caliber bullets that don't expand enough....a bear is not that hard to kill....
For the 308 Win. I have used Cutting Edge Bullets 130 gr Raptor you will get good velocity and it will give you complete penetration....every bear I've seen shot with this bullet just roll over DRT....

There's no other bullet to use for all big game animals .....
He was asking about Hammers.

He was asking about Hammers.
Sure looks like you cannot read....OP never mentioned any brand.....never mentioned any Hammers.....

I've tried Hammers and they work OK also Makers but there are two facts in them why I would never use them again....#1 there made of copper not brass like a Cutting Edge Bullet brass is harder and will bend less than copper in the same designed bullet..... #2 Hammers and Makers they retain all of the bullet when mushroomed ....a Cutting Edge Bullet will expand in the first 2" of penetration then the front of the bullet will brake a way and radiate out with the "blades" cutting and slicing the base will continue going straight....I've had more animals shot in the chest cavity DRT with Cutting Edge Bullets than any other brand of bullets.....been hunting for close to 60 years been guiding for over 45 years I've see it all....

Sure looks like you cannot read....OP never mentioned any brand.....never mentioned any Hammers.....

I've tried Hammers and they work OK also Makers but there are two facts in them why I would never use them again....#1 there made of copper not brass like a Cutting Edge Bullet brass is harder and will bend less than copper in the same designed bullet..... #2 Hammers and Makers they retain all of the bullet when mushroomed ....a Cutting Edge Bullet will expand in the first 2" of penetration then the front of the bullet will brake a way and radiate out with the "blades" cutting and slicing the base will continue going straight....I've had more animals shot in the chest cavity DRT with Cutting Edge Bullets than any other brand of bullets.....been hunting for close to 60 years been guiding for over 45 years I've see it all....
I'm pretty sure that Hammer's are supposed to do exactly as you describe the Cutting Edge Bullet doing! Take a moment read up on Hammer Bullets! 😉 memtb

Slow down there CW :

1.The title of this thread is "

"

2. Hammer bullets don't "retain all of the bullet when mushroomed", as you've stated. Actually, they don't mushroom at all, nor do they retain all of their weight. At least not attached to the bullet shank.

It may be time to rethink your post.

Slow down there CW :

1.The title of this thread is "

"

2. Hammer bullets don't "retain all of the bullet when mushroomed", as you've stated. Actually, they don't mushroom at all, nor do they retain all of their weight. At least not attached to the bullet shank.

It may be time to rethink your post.

CW aka Creedmore worshiper, is pretty quick to get aggressive in his conversation….may need to lay of off the caffeine for a couple of hours! 🤔 memtb

The 165 grain Nosler Partition worked very WELL for, us in an 06 ( 1-10 Twist ) on, a 400 + pound, Idaho, "Cinnamon" Bear.
Bullet went, thru lungs and Off shoulder ( Complete Penetration @ 110 yards ) Bear hobbled, 20 yards, "Moaned" and Died,.. Quickly.
2 inch Exit hole with, a Nice, Blood Trail.
SORRY,. NOT,.. a Hammer bullet,..
I gotta read, a little more,.. carefully !

Last edited: