Hammer Ammo

I would try 300 wsm, 7 mm 08, and 6.5 creedmore in that order. I just bought some 30 cal hammer hunters. It would be nice to publish reloading data. It seems to me the standard reloading data is not the best because of the bands around the bullet.

I think it was about 58%, so I rounded up. I couldn't believe it either. It was the caliber they sold the most of in 2017 and it was the majority by a large margin

Ok, I looked up the email cuz you had me doubting my memory.
52% 6.5 Creed
12% 300 WM
7% 338 Lapua
6% 308
5% 7 Rem Mag
18% Other

64% Short Action
36% Long Action

Makes sense, it tracks with how I think the demographics of shooting/hunting is moving. A little farther, and a little faster than I thought in this particular company, and caliber.

It would be nice to publish reloading data. It seems to me the standard reloading data is not the best because of the bands around the bullet.

I won't speak for Steve, but my experience has been that Nosler's published data tracks very well with Hammer Bullets of comparable weight. I believe the guys at Hammer Bullets have had similar results.

I understood hammer bullets achieved more velocity than other bullets because of the bands and less friction. Is this true?

I understood hammer bullets achieved more velocity than other bullets because of the bands and less friction. Is this true?
Yorke is correct. Nosler data is pretty optimistic compared to other load data. The Hammer Bullets in most rifles will show less pressure and usually be able to produce a little higher vel. The Hammer Hunters are a shorter baring surface bullet and typically run noticeably lower pressure than conventional bullets. So when choosing a powder I like to choose one that does not show a compressed load as there is a good possibility that your rifle will need room for a grain or two of extra powder. Sledge Hammers have a longer baring surface and tend to line up very close with the Nosler data.

I have all the political words like, usually and typically and possibly....Every rifle is different and it is never a good idea to go right to the top end load data. Hodgdon load data I usually start in the middle.

As far as more vel we typically see 50 to 100fps extra with the Hammer Hunters. Be careful with this as well. Again all rifles are different and often the published load data is done with a longer barrel than what may be common on factory rifles of that particular cartridge. An inch of barrel one way or the other will roughly make 25fps diff. If you are showing much higher vel than what Nosler shows in their data for the highest vel, you are probably running hot. If someone is not running a chrono we don't recommend going over the Nosler data.

Steve

Steve - lots of long range hunters are reloaders for good reasons. I don't have time or ranges to spend on developing loads. I always bought HSM 140 grain Berger's for my 6.5x284 Cooper as I thought they had good tolerances. I sold that Cooper and building a 6.5 PRC. I would be first in line to buy some of your hammer bullets in 143 grain for my 6.5 PRC. This caliber seems to be taking off with gun builders adding this cartridge every day now. I would pay a premium over HSM to buy your developed "quasi-commercial" ammo. Hope you don't leave out this new developing caliber.

.....Just saw this thread. Did this idea go to the wayside or is it still in developement?

No particular insight. Just occasional conversations, but it's something that's been on their minds from the beginning. They've had a busy year, new shop, new machinery, and pay pal issues. Now it's hunting season. Someday.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.