Hammer question

It will make a difference not only in POI but also accuracy and consistency. been proven time and time again, even with bullets using the same guilding metal alloy. Just good practice to start fresh with a clean barrel
It will make a difference not only in POI but also accuracy and consistency. been proven time and time again, even with bullets using the same guilding metal alloy. Just good practice to start fresh with a clean barrel.
From what I understand Steve doe's recommend cleaning the bore from all copper before load development with Hammer bullets . Barnes and Hammer bullets are not the same copper so clean regardless of type of bullet shot through the bore prior too load development with Hammer bullets for best results.

According to Steve, they haven't seen a need to strip a bore clean when changing over to a Hammer bullet. I may test 10-15 different loads on a single outing and do not clean between bullet types. I shoot the 124 Hammer in a PRC myself but I will shoot groups with them right after a dozen or more Berger 156EOL bullets and still get great groups at the 400yds line where I normally test loads.

"I think" that idea is a holdover from the Barnes bullet company who did recommend only shooting their X bullets in a squeaky-clean barrel.
I had trouble getting my 270W to throw the Hammer bullets very well, I phoned Hammer ( I think it was Steve I talked to), and he suggested to strip the bore to bare metal and try again. His thot was that the different copper alloys from different bullets caused 'stiction' which caused the Hammer bullet to become unstable.

So I tried what he suggested, and it worked!

I had trouble getting my 270W to throw the Hammer bullets very well, I phoned Hammer ( I think it was Steve I talked to), and he suggested to strip the bore to bare metal and try again. His thot was that the different copper alloys from different bullets caused 'stiction' which caused the Hammer bullet to become unstable.

Absolutely correct. Brian and Steve know their stuff. Not sure i know any bullet makers that have done more testing of their product, including field testing then the Hammer boys. Great guys as well. Proud to call them my friends!! Will be posting some reports soon on some crazy stuff we worked on together over the past couple years. Amazing stuff!! Soon to come.

I start every outing with a squeaky clean bore. However, I never clean at the range or in-between groups regardless of bullets used. Today I was testing some 147 ELD-M bullets in my PRC. I shot 5 groups of 4 rounds, 20 shots total. Then I threw in 3 rounds of 124H bullets with a new load of RE23 @ 3,203-SD 4. They grouped at just over 2" at 417yds.

So while it's nice to start with a clean bore, it sure isn't necessary based on my experience. Now maybe the 124H bullets could have grouped even tighter but I'm satisfied with how they shot after the regular cup & core bullets were fired. BTW - I only using a 4.5-15 power scope so my ability to shoot better is really limited by my ability to adequately see the target.

It looks like the clean routine worked well for you and your rifle. Stick with what works and go huntin'.