Gordy Gritters epoxy sleeving??

Mram10us

Does anyone have experience in this? I saw a title for it on one of his videos and have no idea what it is.

edit: I think it is describing bolt sleeving????

Last edited:
Been around for awhile (lot of years), and I think you are referring to taking a 700 and expoxing it into an aluminum sleeve. Have seen a few done in steel. It adds more bedding surface, action rigidity and a single shot follower is glued in mag port. Not ideal for a hunting gun. Lot of tests showed the 8" sleeve was the best. This was done as a cheap way of getting a very rigid BR action before BAT and others came along.

Been around for awhile (lot of years), and I think you are referring to taking a 700 and expoxing it into an aluminum sleeve. Have seen a few done in steel. It adds more bedding surface, action rigidity and a single shot follower is glued in mag port. Not ideal for a hunting gun. Lot of tests showed the 8" sleeve was the best. This was done as a cheap way of getting a very rigid BR action before BAT and others came along.
Thank you. Never heard of that.

I thought he meant bolt sleeving though and not receiver. Anyone know of epoxy bolt sleeving??

I've ran into discussions of bolt sleeving but never something that interested me, I think mainly because I saw a comment from JE Customs early on that said he wasn't a fan (if I remember correctly) and in the years of participation on this forum I pretty much figured out he's the guy to listen to. Like the grandpappy of LRH

I've ran into discussions of bolt sleeving but never something that interested me, I think mainly because I saw a comment from JE Customs early on that said he wasn't a fan (if I remember correctly) and in the years of participation on this forum I pretty much figured out he's the guy to listen to. Like the grandpappy of LRH
Gordy gritters might know a thing or two also ;)

Yep you got a point. I'm so new to fixing up my rifles that I haven't got around to looking into bolt sleeving. From what I've read in the past I can see where it has its place, especially if you got machine shop in your backyard (or wherever yours is). Most folks who would have to pay to have the work done could take the same money and buy a ptg bolt though from what I've read. Maybe once I get cutting chambers down to an art that will be my next rabbit hole to dive down

Sleeving was just an old school way of making a Kelbly Panda. Sleeving a bolt is kinda fun, to do once, you can make your own Borden bumps or make it tight just when it comes into battery but still run looser when cycling the bolt.

Sleeving was just an old school way of making a Kelbly Panda. Sleeving a bolt is kinda fun, to do once, you can make your own Borden bumps or make it tight just when it comes into battery but still run looser when cycling the bolt.
I'm not understanding the concept. Any videos, pics or references where I can get a better idea? Thanks. Knew somebody would know

Here's my take on it and I may be completely wrong. The cocking piece on the bolt on a 700 is beveled. When the bolt is rotated in to battery the rear of the bolt rises up to come in contact with the top bridge of the action. With the bolt sleeved or the "Borden Bumps" the bolt is held down by shimming the bolt so it can't raise up and keep the bolt face perpendicular to the bore.
But one thing I don't understand is why couldn't the bolt face be machined while in battery in the action and the sleeving would be unnecessary. Or use an action with a 90* cocking piece such as a Howa or others?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.