Glue ? Or epoxy ?

Gregg C

Being a consummate DIY kinda guy (which I think really means broke tightwad w/more time than sense), I'm considering making a stock for my heavy recoil 338. I had it in a popular laminate, but was never really happy with the way it fit me. I started making modifications to it, and got it to feeling better, but I broke it in the last modification session. Soo,,,,,,I'm gonna make one from scratch. Thinking laminate, but what glue ? Or maybe epoxy ? You folks that have done this might think, That guy is NUTS ! and you might be right, but I got a thing about trying new stuff on my own. At the end of the project, I love knowing I gave it all I had.
Thanks in advance, for any advice, comments, nuggets of wisdom, or concerns, even.

C, can't comment on which glue, but the inletting is the tedious, frustrating, and definitely the most difficult. I've been working periodically on a shotgun stock for a couple years. Hoping it will turn out looking similar to a Holland and Holland.

Hoping to do most of the in letting with a router on a bridge. Got an idea on how to use it like I imagine a pattern follower would work. Like everything I undertake, I'm thinking What's the worst that could happen ? I gotta work harder ? Or spend more money ? I guess we'll see, eh?

I build furniture shoot and lots of other stuff.... Titebond II glue works great We have 30+ year old furniture glued up with it, no problems

Last edited:
Built kitchen cabinets with that stuff, bad arse, but not sure about resistance to solvents. JB Weld makes a thin 2 part 5 min set , 4600psi . Might be good. Devon 10110 is kinda thick, but I know it's tough as nails.

C, can't comment on which glue, but the inletting is the tedious, frustrating, and definitely the most difficult. I've been working periodically on a shotgun stock for a couple years. Hoping it will turn out looking similar to a Holland and Holland.
What wood did you use ,Dosh ? Some of that older stuff is absolutely amazing looking ! Come to to that, some really beautiful new stuff too!

Since I inherited the shotgun from my grandfather and my family has been here in Az since the 1870's I'm using a piece of mesquite.
What wood did you use ,Dosh ? Some of that older stuff is absolutely amazing looking ! Come to to that, some really beautiful new stuff too!

If you want laminate, Boyd's- I've been buying from them since Rutland Plywood burned up five years ago. No other game in town (I think Richard's Microfit sells blanks, but are much more expensive).

If you've never done it before, consider making your stock from inexpensive lumber and bondo- and then having the real deal cut on a duplicator using it as a "pattern stock".

I make all stocks this way, using Bondo/body filler allows for screw-ups to be easily fixed, and the same pattern can be modified indefinitely to produce differing variations ( as in changing barrel contour inlets).

You could still do most of the work on the end product, just have it rough cut on the duplicator and you can still do the final shaping/sanding, fit the recoil pad, bedding, etc.

Since I inherited the shotgun from my grandfather and my family has been here in Az since the 1870's I'm using a piece of mesquite.
Wow, that does seem ambitious! I'm not a pro wood worker, by any stretch of imigination; yet mesquite is some tough stuff to work with. You said finish a semi-finish, did that come from Richards Microfit ? I thought I saw mesquite offered there, not sure. At any rate, the grain pattern is positively mesmerizing ! That will be amazing ! Saw some mesquite, a table top, I think, that had some voids in the wood filled with a turquoise colored epoxy. Freaking gorgeous ! Man, hurry up and gitter done ! I can't wait to see pictures!

Dang it, I got a couple posts scrambled. Sorry. Bdlesh, if I can do it, you can. I'm surely no rocket scientist, and my first Boyd's was a semi finish for a Tang Ruger M77 300 Winmag. Wasn't to bad.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.