Gordy Gritters epoxy sleeving??

This is a total bolt sleeving video, using split sleeves is the same concept but your not going all the way like this video just doing a couple spots where the bolt is located during lockup and gluing the two halves so you don't have to redo the handle.

Another old school way was to take the rear ring base screws and replace them with longer screws that would stick down into the action raceway. You would then file/trim the screws a little at a time until you got the bolt/cocking piece to the fit that suited you. Not a perfect world but it was yet another way to skin the cat.
Back in the day replacement bolts were not out there.....kinda like life before the internet......

I used to sleeve all my bolts and take the clearance to .001. The sleeves sit right under the bridge of the receiver and are not visible with the bolt closed. When I do a full blueprint on a 700 I cut the raceway to . 705 and then sleeve the bolt to .704. I used to do this for all my actions but found that for general porpose hunting rifles it really wasn't needed. So after I stopped doing the sleeves I really found that there was no loss in accuracy. On Target or varmint rifle builds I do still sleeve to try and get every last bit of accuracy I can.
As far as the bolt being lifted up in the rear this is true. But when the trigger is released the firing pin spring pressure will force the bolt back to square before the primer is struck. This is why running the standard weight firing pin and spring is more accurate. It gives the bolt more time to settle down before firing. I have no issue to those who run real fast lock time pins and springs and they may help you shooting from field positions.
Shep

I theorize that the combustion in the chamber forces the lugs into engagement and if they are square and true then the bolt sleeving actually doesn't help.

There is nothing like 65000 psi pushing you back to square. But as far as the bolt falling back to square we are talking . 002 to . 003 thou at most.
Shep

Interesting thread. Now the following thing that I am going to write is going to make more than one gunsmith cringe. It goes a bit against the stream of thought. I hope I will succeed in making my idea understood as English is not my mother tongue.
First , we all agree that a correctly sleeved action or a custom action properly machined would have the locking lugs of the bolt in contact with the lug abutment in the action in the cocked position. When the firing pin is released , I understand that there would be minimal parasite vibrations produced , and so because the top lug is not slaming against the top abutment and the rear of the bolt is not slaming against the bottom of the receiver , even when the 60000psi of thrust push on that bolt.
Now take a fatory receiver like the Remington 700, with its sloppy bolt .25wsm explained very well how the bolt get back into some sort of central position during the firing sequence. But I wonder if that can not create parasite vibration? A gunsmith who has tought me few things was blue printing his receivers in such a way that the indicating rod in the receiver would be centered on the front part of the action at the lug levels, but loose enough that it could be slanted up to the inside of the rear bridge. The diameter of that rod on most of its diameter would be an exact Match of the bolt body, only the part under the lug area being a close match to the receiver. The indicating rod can be held in the upward position with a shim between its body and the inside bottom of the rear part of the receiver while it's getting indicated into a trueing jig. The receiver is then conventionaly single point blue printed.The bolt face and lugs of the bolt are trued in a conventional way to be perpendicular to the bolt body. So you can imagine that by doing so , the rear of the bolt stays in the upward position at all time during the firing sequence and the bolt lugs are always in contact with the receiver lugs.Also another thing which I have never seen mentioned, is that the cartridges in the magazine below are also exercising an upward pressure on the bolt at all time ( except when you are on your last round), of course not a great pressure ( we can push the rounds down with our thumb after all) and not as great as the upward pressure created by the cocked firing pin. The bolt remains very fluid to open and close . The only disadvantage I can see with that method is that you would lose a few moa of elevation as the barrel is starting to point downward . Not really a problem with the options of slanted rails available on the market. Now I am not saying that this is the right way to do things, but it has certainly worked for the gunsmith who told me that trick and his customers. I have blue printed and rebarreled a few rifles like that and I have not had any issues with function or accuracy. I can not tell if the rifles I have done that way would have shot better or worse than going a more conventional way. I would be happy from the experts on the forum about their thoughts on this . Thanks .

I've no issue with the idea that the case head can push the bolt lugs into their maximum contact, which is hopefully square. What I wonder about is, how hard is that working the brass unnecessarily? If the case head has enough force to square the bolt lugs then the case has expanded enough to form a seal with the chamber. Which likely means that the case is flexing in the web area. Even though it's just a little, over time it will be working those cases more than those for a rifle that doesn't have this problem.

The epoxy method of sleeving the rear bridge tightens the tolerance with epoxy instead of steel. In a sloppy bolt/raceway, the bolt is a greater source of negative harmonics due to its movement. Sleeving the bolt or adding borden bumps reduces that by reducing the movement/vibration. If the rear bridge is epoxied then reamed instead of adding a sleeve or bumps now you have a dead material vs steel. It makes little difference till you're looking at shooting for record. Then you can see the difference in agg scores over a season.
Here is a good article about some of the issues and how this action addressed it. I believe these folks are involved with D Tubb and his new rifle but I may be incorrect in that
http://cstmtech.com/essay-a-better-bolt-action/

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.