Metal Epoxy Weld

Lots of good advice here, no bs. Nice to see all the knowledgable welders here.
Welding has been my thing more than anything else for longer than I've been thinking about girls. Love a challenge, and can weld a broken heart (not really haha).

Len, if I was closer I'd do it for free.

We used some stuff in the machine shop that was pretty impressive, we used it for buildup on parts that couldn't withstand the heat of welding. I'll try to remember the name.
Do you have a pic of the break? Is it steel? Any solder silver solder, or epoxy will not refinish unless its just paint..

Last edited:
Lots of good advice here, no bs. Nice to see all the knowledgable welders here.
Welding has been my thing more than anything else for longer than I've been thinking about girls. Love a challenge, and can weld a broken heart (not really haha).

Len, if I was closer I'd do it for free.

We used some stuff in the machine shop that was pretty impressive, we used it for buildup on parts that couldn't withstand the heat of welding. I'll try to remember the name.
Do you have a pic of the break? Is it steel? Any solder silver solder, or epoxy will not refinish unless its just paint..
Thanks
I'll try to get it out with some pictures tomorrow.
I have all the equipment to weld or Braze but looking for options.
Are you still working in the shop?
Len

Another way to consider doing it is with a laser welder. You can use that with silver or other brazing material. Laser's work well on fine areas that need work. Changed the jewelry repair industry completely when they were introduced.
Bruce

I wish we lived closer together if you had a good TIG that would go down low enough with a small tungsten you can weld pop cans together I doubt if that plate is any thinner than that or you can weld razor blades together. You should be able to find somebody that's got a welder that is capable of welding that in your area. Check with your local weld Supply shop they will be able to point you to someone.

Attachments

• 0916191442_Burst01.jpg
    0916191442_Burst01.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 40
You can use heat sink putty around the welded or soldered area to minimize heat soak into the surrounding metal too to help reduce warping

My welding instructor could weld aluminum pop cans into a rose and his oxy/acet brazing skills would astound the best of welders-- he used to tig weld the ss and titanium alloy fins onto aerospace turbine engines for his profession--- I watched him hold 4 filler rods in his left hand and feed them into 1 long continuous tig weld with out ever stopping--- I wish I had 1/100th of his welding skill

I wish we lived closer together if you had a good TIG that would go down low enough with a small tungsten you can weld pop cans together I doubt if that plate is any thinner than that or you can weld razor blades together. You should be able to find somebody that's got a welder that is capable of welding that in your area. Check with your local weld Supply shop they will be able to point you to someone.
Gary
Hope all is well with you and your family
I do have a NEW Tig welding machine and can go very low Amps. Have the Lenses and different tungsten for my torch. I welded piping systems in the reactor of Nuke Subs in my younger years. about 90% of my welding was done with a mirror and all inspected by Xray.
Just looking for different ways to repair this old German sniper rifle. I have tig welded razor blades before, but quite a while ago. Have not done a lot of things since my spinal cord operation.
I can weld it, it is carbon steel not SS and then have to grind & Polish and re-blue.
I guess I'll have to break everything out and practice on some metal before i attempt this repair.
Thanks for all the responses.

As some of you who know me I turned 66 years young the other day.
In my younger years there was a saying:

"If It Can't Be Done By Lenny-It Can't Be Done By Any!!!
The Man That Knows All and Much Much More!

As I am older now and wiser, I always try to ask for help because there are always newer better ideas than when I grew up on.

Thanks for everyone's help. It is time for me to break out and use some of the new equipment Jill and I bought.

I'll post my progress and finished project. May be a while!

God Bless
Len

Thanks
I'll try to get it out with some pictures tomorrow.
I have all the equipment to weld or Braze but looking for options.
Are you still working in the shop?
Len
No, not at that place since '12. Mostly retired from working in other people's shops now to get back to my farm and doing my own stuff like building race cars and hunting buggies. Hoping to get a nice lathe to complement my mill next year, so I can start building rifles and reloading gear

Last edited:
As some of you who know me I turned 66 years young the other day.
In my younger years there was a saying:

"If It Can't Be Done By Lenny-It Can't Be Done By Any!!!
The Man That Knows All and Much Much More!

As I am older now and wiser, I always try to ask for help because there are always newer better ideas than when I grew up on.

Thanks for everyone's help. It is time for me to break out and use some of the new equipment Jill and I bought.

I'll post my progress and finished project. May be a while!

God Bless
Len
You sound like someone I would have liked to work with. I've always been a sponge when someone with obvious skills are talking

Gary
Hope all is well with you and your family
I do have a NEW Tig welding machine and can go very low Amps. Have the Lenses and different tungsten for my torch. I welded piping systems in the reactor of Nuke Subs in my younger years. about 90% of my welding was done with a mirror and all inspected by Xray.
Just looking for different ways to repair this old German sniper rifle. I have tig welded razor blades before, but quite a while ago. Have not done a lot of things since my spinal cord operation.
I can weld it, it is carbon steel not SS and then have to grind & Polish and re-blue.
I guess I'll have to break everything out and practice on some metal before i attempt this repair.
Thanks for all the responses.
There's a place here in town that does orbital welding automatic Tig they can go into a power plant and weld a whole bundle of pipes in one day and those welds look like they're projected into the pipe they photograph each weld is it's being put in and the inside and the outside looks identical and it just looks like that weld has been photographed into the metal close your eyes and run your finger down the pipe and you can't even feel the joint. A guy has two suitcases one with a water cooler and one with the tig in it and they get on a plane and fly out and do their welding and then fly back home that evening.