Glue ? Or epoxy ?

I can easily see the forearm being stiffer by it's inclusion. If there were a way to include it in a tubular shape (inside the forearm, under the barrel?) I suspect that the stiffness would increase again.

I'm playing with this right now....Or at least collecting the needed items. I purchased a 4" wide strip of carbon fiber, and my plan is to inlet a old wood Rem 700 stock deeper, and basically glass bed the fiber into the stock. My plan is to first add a layer or two of 10 mil tape to the entire action and barrel and set the fiber into the stock. After it's dry, I'll bed the action with a skim coat. I have tried epoxying steel rods and Carbon Arrow shafts into the forends and I think it worked OK, but I think a full strip of carbon running the entire length of the stock would stiffen it up better. I'm not going to get to actually doing this until winter time, I just have way too much going on in life right now so if someone has tried this or does try it, let me know if it works! ;)

To the OP, I have only used solid wood blanks for stocks, but have thought of doing as others have said with laminating a strip of carbon fiber between layers......So I would have to use epoxy. For straight wood, I think you'd be fine with either Titebond or epoxy, but if using epoxy, pay attention to clamp pressure. It's easy to apply too much and squish out too much glue, making a weak joint. Those that question tight bond should glue two block of wood together and then do a twist break in a vise. If glued properly, the wood will split long before the glue joint breaks.

Bought wood today, got it laid up with Titebond. Tomorrow I take it back to store and get it sanded flat, then get started cutting it up square and then the in letting begins. Flame birch on the outside, plain birch in center.

New question....are there any harmful or detrimental affects from too large of a barrel channel ? A new barrel is in my near future for this rifle. The current barrel has a taper, the next one will not. Straight 1.200 diameter full length. Thought I'd plan ahead and cut new stock barrel channel for that barrel.

Other than looks, not that I've ever seen.....I'd probably open it up when I got my new barrel just to make sure I didn't screw up but that's just me!

So here is an update on my project:
0728191803.jpg
0728191738.jpg
It's starting to take shape, finally. Really miss my thunder stick.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.