Metal Epoxy Weld

What is the BEST Metal Epoxy anyone has used on a firearm that holds like Tig/Oxy Acet welding/Brazing?
I have a hinge plate that someone cracked on a 1930s German Rifle. I have Tig and Jewlers Oxy Acetylene welding equipment, but this Hinge plate is very thin. I won't weld it and maybe "Braze" it. Would rather use a strong epoxy and grind away any extra to have a good fit when assembled.
Thanks
Len & Jill
I can say that the best metal epoxy we ever used in nearly 20 years of fixing helicopters in the Army was 20-20 Metalset. In the civilian world it is sold as Metalset A4. I am talking about applications where a lot of vibration occurs regularly. Give it a try. It is sold on Amazon under the name, "Metalset A4."

I'd look into Miller-Stephenson 907. Unlike Devcon (which I like and use extensively) it is made to do what you need to do, bond metal together, in this case, aircraft parts.

The problem that you're going to run into no matter what bonding agent you use is not a lot of surface area. All these bonding agents have their strengths reported as "psi", pounds force divided by area. A large bonding area is crucial to success. If you can do something like bond a thin strip on the hidden side across the break you'll gain a tremendous amount of strength.

I'm guessing that the broken part has the s/n stamped in it, too. Even if a replacement was available, it wouldn't work for that reason.

I wouldn't expect a welder with extensive experience in Dual-Shield welding (my guess as to the process used on submarines) to know the first thing about GTAW. They might have been exposed to GTAW way back in welding school, but that doesn't make them experts in the process some 25-40 years later. To a certain point, welding is welding, but each process has it's own tricks and nuances that have to be learned by doing.
We have top of line TIG equipment and I can weld every process out there. Really going toward Silver Solder due to the area of the crack.
Thanks

I would reinforce across the break with some dog bones of good spring steel shim stock after the repair, I am guessing without seeing the piece that you could do it on the inside where it wouldn't be visible. If you silver solder them you get a TON of surface area and reinforcement, you could tig 3 points on the ends and two on each side too and get a lot of strength back. Apply the bones hot and when they cool they will pull everything together a tiny bit too. If you are worried about it bending when it cools if you tig them on you could temper in a jig that will hold it straight.

What jeweler's torch do you have?
When we were in the process of renovation of our shop we bought all new welding equipment. Tig, Mig, Stick along with Oxy Acetylene. We have industrial size Oxy Acetylene and Jewelers Torches. Have tips that go down to "PIN" size flame.

Attachments

• Jewel Torch.jpg
    Jewel Torch.jpg
    649.8 KB · Views: 65
That looks like Smiths Little Torch. It's been the standard for bench work for many years.

I would go to a welding supply store and ask for the lowest temp soldering rod, or buy from an online jeweler supply. I would not want solder with flux on the rod. Buy your flux separately and use it generously. Clean the part very well. You can use a pencil to mark where want to solder to stop flowing. If you plan to refinish the part, then you can preheat with the torch. If you're trying to preserve the existing finish, I would put the part in you oven set at the highest temp. This will help the soldering to flow.

That looks like Smiths Little Torch. It's been the standard for bench work for many years.

I would go to a welding supply store and ask for the lowest temp soldering rod, or buy from an online jeweler supply. I would not want solder with flux on the rod. Buy your flux separately and use it generously. Clean the part very well. You can use a pencil to mark where want to solder to stop flowing. If you plan to refinish the part, then you can preheat with the torch. If you're trying to preserve the existing finish, I would put the part in you oven set at the highest temp. This will help the soldering to flow.
YES
SMITH
Some Silver Solder doesn't require flux if mixed with copper. i have several fluxes and Silver Solders.
Cleaning parts is most important.
Pre-heat parts -Yes
Thanks for your input!
I'll post pictures of the parts sometime when I go to repair it. Worst possible place to break and repair.
Len & Jill

Flux is essential for good flow.and penetration.

I was a.bench jewler for.many year, I can solder a gnats eyelash back together.😁
You are the man!
I should give the part to you if you still have equipment or use mine. We are both in GA
I can weld the crack of Dawn

Last edited:
What is the BEST Metal Epoxy anyone has used on a firearm that holds like Tig/Oxy Acet welding/Brazing?
I have a hinge plate that someone cracked on a 1930s German Rifle. I have Tig and Jewlers Oxy Acetylene welding equipment, but this Hinge plate is very thin. I won't weld it and maybe "Braze" it. Would rather use a strong epoxy and grind away any extra to have a good fit when assembled.
Thanks
Len & Jill
Len
Try taking it to a high end eyeglass repair outfit. They do some pretty nice welding and brazing on thin pieces.
Mike