Sleeving A Barrel ??

Wedgy

I have a Savage Mark II .22 long rifle that I want to shoot the Aguilla 60 grain subsonics out of but the stock barrel doesn't have a fast enough twist. I need a 9" twist and it has a 14" or something. A local smith said they can drill out the barrel and put a sleeve in it and that would be the cheapest way. Anyone ever do this and is there a better option ? I've done a bunch of barrel nut rifles but never a .22LR and this gun doesn't have a barrel nut. I searched and found they do make a .22LR go gage.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/551539/forster-headspace-go-gauge-22-long-rifle

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
I've relined more than a few .22LR barrels. It is a 'last ditch effort' to get "Grandpas' old rifle shooting, again,,,,, not for making a 'target; rifle although most shoot very well. I've got no idea where you're going to get a 1-9 twist barrel liner for a .22 rim fire. Relining barrels is not nearly as easy as changing barrels that are held on with a nut. It is, in most cases, beyond the skill and tooling costs of most hobbyists. Your best bet would be to have a new custom barrel installed and why in the world anyone would bother re-barreling an action that the barrel is held on with pins is beyond me..... That savage ain't an Anschutz.

Is it because of the accuracy with the 60 grain Subsonic ammo ?

I have tried this ammo in many 22 rifles and found that none would group Like the higher velocity ammo, and the heavy lead bullets did not like the faster twist barrel because they did not engrave well and sheared the engraving on the bullet. The only thing that seemed to show promise was a
marlin Micro grove barrel with 10 lands. The accuracy was better and the engraving looked better/cleaner on the bullets that I recovered.

Normally Lead bullets need a slow twist in order to engrave well. I would very interested if you find out that works. Keep us posted.

PS: Something to think about would be a gain twist barrel. I have a 460 S&W pistol that shoots very large bullets fast and it has a gain twist barrel in it for the big bullets and is not hard on thin jackets.
I am still trying to verify what I have been told about the twist rate (S&W says it is a 1 in 100" to a 1 IN 20" twist). That sounds crazy but it shoots very well. so I will believe it when I see it.

You might get someone to make you a gain twist that is something close to a 1 in 9 or 10 to a 1 in 12.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks Mud ! I have heard some say they won't cycle in a 10/22 but I haven't tried them. Otherwise I would be all over the 10/22 takedown. I guess I might have to load a few mags and head out for a little test session.

EDIT:
just bought this on Ebay(Volquartsen 1:9 Twist Barrel for Ruger 10/22 22LR $135) so I guess I will try the 10/22 route, I have 2 laying around, probably go with a folding stock, and the 7lb trigger on the 10/22 is going to need work.

Thanks Mud ! I have heard some say they won't cycle in a 10/22 but I haven't tried them. Otherwise I would be all over the 10/22 takedown. I guess I might have to load a few mags and head out for a little test session.

EDIT:
just bought this on Ebay(Volquartsen 1:9 Twist Barrel for Ruger 10/22 22LR $135) so I guess I will try the 10/22 route, I have 2 laying around, probably go with a folding stock, and the 7lb trigger on the 10/22 is going to need work.

Cycling is all about the recoil spring. It has to be strong enough to hold the cartridge in battery but let the bolt blow back.

The other option is just get used to cycling the bolt manually.

Keeping the action clean will help.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.