Good article on why everyone either loves or hates the 6.5cr

I'm not a Creedmoor owner. I have had many .260AI rifles since gunsmithing school in 1979. I think the Creedmoor is a fine cartridge, it's just not the ONLY cartridge. More often than not I use a 7mm-08 for elk. Mainly because I like carrying my Kimber Montana around. I just ran two factory loadings for 6.5 Creedmoor vs 7mm-08. Just a place to start. I reload for everything, but used factory for this comparison. They are very similar.

Bob

6.5 Creedmoor
CD319698-A0B8-4DB2-BB1D-77BECEE9E7D3.jpeg

7mm-08
519EA114-DF54-4A5C-9491-F4B1F09E7942.jpeg

What??? The 260 is the ballistic equivalent of the 6.5 Creedmoor. It's not 300fps faster. The Swede in a modern LONG action is 100fps faster than the Creedmoor. But why choose the Swede when you got the 6.5x284? Good luck finding factory ammo for the Swede that is 100fps faster than the Creedmoor and you'll never find the unicorn 300fps faster 260 ammunition lol. You guys are too much.
l think the 6.5 Swede will work in a SA. 6mm Remington will fit in a SA. @57mm that's 2 more than the Swede. DWM Bell killed almost half his Elephants with a 6.5 Swede. During Russia's Winter War with Finland several train loads of Russians fell to the Swede. One Fin sniper racked up almost a thousand kills with his 6.5 Swede. Some at over a 1000yds with Open Sights. Ever since the 264 Winchester Magnum came out people have lamented it was not a 7mm, too light for really BIG animals. 6.5Creed comes out as Thor's Hammer. Kills anything that walks.. Still a good bit SLOWER than a 264 Win Mag.
Perhaps the 6.5 Creed was the answer to the question NOBODY asked??

Meh ... average. Now, that is a much better attitude than hatred. As previously noted, hatred takes too much energy. I initially felt the same way as you did until I got behind it. I appreciate its capabilities better, but I have not explored the possibilities of handloading for it ... yet. I am still using factory ammo and capped the maximum range at 350Y for this combination on a deer-size game and smaller.
I think RL26 and some of the newer bullets really make the 6.5 CM more interesting. I'm STILL figuring out a cost effective way to get my 260 AI built and am getting frustrated. I may scrap the idea and build a 7-08. I'm liking some of the data out there for it with 180 gr boowits. A fast twist 22-250 is right up my alley too. Or a long throated 308 Win seated out to 2.950". A 6.5 CM isn't off the table for me. I can wear pink too. Heck I may still have some of my "Miami Vice" ensemble from the 80's ;)

l think the 6.5 Swede will work in a SA. 6mm Remington will fit in a SA. @57mm that's 2 more than the Swede. DWM Bell killed almost half his Elephants with a 6.5 Swede. During Russia's Winter War with Finland several train loads of Russians fell to the Swede. One Fin sniper racked up almost a thousand kills with his 6.5 Swede. Some at over a 1000yds with Open Sights. Ever since the 264 Winchester Magnum came out people have lamented it was not a 7mm, too light for really BIG animals. 6.5Creed comes out as Thor's Hammer. Kills anything that walks.. Still a good bit SLOWER than a 264 Win Mag.
Perhaps the 6.5 Creed was the answer to the question NOBODY asked??
The Swede needs a long action to run long, heavy bullets. Unless you want to single shoot it or load light stubby bullets it needs a long action. The Finnish sniper you speak of never had a Swede. He had a 7.62x54r Mosin Nagant. Bell had a 7mm Mauser.

To stir the pot further 😁, as it's already got a good boil going, I must now go back to dismissing the creedmoor after I've sort of defended it: biggest reason for me not to have one is I already have a .270 AND....the 270 is a better hunting cartridge 😱. Hear me out here....

the 6.5 absolutely makes more sense in a target rifle Less recoil, greater supersonic range cuz high bc bullets.... but I hear people compare it to the 270 in a favourable light (maybe I'm just too sensitive haha but I actually seems like it gets compared to my 270 and 300 win mag A LOT and I can't figure out why...it loses hard as a hunting round against those).

the 270 doesn't shoot as high a bc bullet. But it starts out a lot more powerfully, shoots flatter, AND...by the time the 6.5 has caught up to it NEITHER round are the best choice compared to the big 7mms and 30s. And while the 6.5 is trying to catch up the 270 is hitting harder and shooting flatter.

To stir the pot further 😁, as it's already got a good boil going, I must now go back to dismissing the creedmoor after I've sort of defended it: biggest reason for me not to have one is I already have a .270 AND....the 270 is a better hunting cartridge 😱. Hear me out here....

the 6.5 absolutely makes more sense in a target rifle Less recoil, greater supersonic range cuz high bc bullets.... but I hear people compare it to the 270 in a favourable light (maybe I'm just too sensitive haha but I actually seems like it gets compared to my 270 and 300 win mag A LOT and I can't figure out why...it loses hard as a hunting round against those).

the 270 doesn't shoot as high a bc bullet. But it starts out a lot more powerfully, shoots flatter, AND...by the time the 6.5 has caught up to it NEITHER round are the best choice compared to the big 7mms and 30s. And while the 6.5 is trying to catch up the 270 is hitting harder and shooting flatter.
As previously noted, it is your ultimate responsibility to synthesize what you read on social media.

Last edited:
I like to shoot just about any rifle.I am 77 years old and so shooting big horsepower rifles is not as fun as it used to be.I have 3 6.5CM`s.One is being re chambered to 6.4 -284.I also have a 6.5-55 and a 6.5-270.I like 6.5 caliber.It gets the job done.I have a 300 yard backyard range with gongs.I like to shoot off hand at the gongs.Are any of the 6.5s super duper LR cartridges?Probably not ,but are great to 400-500 yards.If I need to take a longer poke I grab my Tikka 270WSM Brux barreled 1-8 twist.If I ever get up to Alaska again,my 300WSM or 30-06 will be enough gun.What is nice about the 6.5CM is availability of good brass and loaded ammo.You can find it anywhere.I have never lost an animal shot with the CM,but know my limitations.Every man needs to know his limitations.I am not an Operator,wannabe sniper or weekend warrior.I have been hunting shooting since about 10 years old.I spent 6 years in the Navy have shot High Power and Bench rest.Just sayin, you can`t judge a man by what he shoots.Huntz

I own one 6.5CM rifle, it is what it is and it is not my personal favorite. But it has a couple of things going for it IMO:

1. Consumer acceptance = more options and availability in factory ammo and reloading components as well as economy of scale generally means it is cheaper. Your mileage may vary post-COVID. But here I prefer it to its close cousins like 260rem and 6.5x55.
2. It is a very good option for folks wanting to hunt nothing larger than whitetail and will never care to use it beyond 300-500yds. Especially where the application is a new youth hunter where recoil is a key concern, I like it (slightly) better than the 243win and 270win (7mm08) options as I prefer to use a bullet more than ~100 grains for whitetail. For applications like this, #1 is a key factor as well - relatively easy to find and relatively inexpensive.
3. My 6.5CM is a Fieldcraft and those characteristics in #2 make it a very nice option for a very lightweight rifle for deer, hogs and small antelope. That being said, my 280ai Kimber Montana is great, too.

That being said, I hunt more with my 270win and 280ai. Mostly because my youngest son is a great fit for the 6.5cm and my older son (19) loves the 270win. That leaves me with the 270wby, 280ai and 7 magnum options in my safe when we all go hunting together.

I sure appreciate some of the clever bantering going on about this caliber. Any true hate stuff is generally avoided.
I stopped many moons ago hunting large game. I used a Rem 700 7mag with no muzzle brake( heresy back then) and a stock sorry recoil pad.
So after picking up the long range target and PD fever the 6.5CM and the 6CM calibers fit my needs perfectly
The 6.5CM will also nail feral pigs at long distances keeping in mind these pigs are NOT game animals so ethical energy down range is of no concern to me.
IMHO, the 6.5CM has a niche in the hunting shooting community

It's 2021 man. Not 1950. If you're not using a rangefinder then you're doing long range wrong. The fact is with a range finder and a ballistically superior cartridge, your hit probability goes WAY up. There's no reason not to give yourself every advantage you can. If you're handicapping yourself than that's either for your own challenge or your own ignorance. You're not proving anything.
1st off I see it different, all I'm trying to show is what I said in the beginning If you have to dial what's the difference of 4mils vs 4.5, if you have to hold for the wind what's again what's the difference between 2 mils and 2.5, Is the Needmore better on paper, Yes It Absolutely Is, Will it help you if your Battery goes dead in your rangefinder and you you don't know or remember how to range your quarry with your scope, Nope not Nary a bit, 2nd off if you feel I'm handicapped or ignorant my above offer still stands and I'm perfectly aware that it's 2021 and I'm current with todays shooting equipment and I use it regularly but there are a many folk here like @Coyote Shadow Tracker that know the deal, The ultimate point here is you can have a "Ballistic Superior Needmoor " but it's still only as good as you are, As I said if you think the 308 and 270 are funny ( you forgot to mention the 25-06) and 1950ish Bring your Needmoor on, I mean no offense but IMO It's folks like you that tarnish the Needmoor shooting community in general with a closed mindset of ballistic superiority, Most everyone on this site knows where I'm at but in case you don't

Lee Brockmeier
6780 West Whitesell Ave
West Terre Haute In 47885
812-264-6183