Going Back To Where I Started........... Kinda

Yeah those accelerator-type sabots are neat, I've contemplated playing with them.

Any accuracy, at all?

It did take some experimenting with load, bullet, seating depths, and some barrels prefer over others. Always start with a clean, smooth bore. So far, I have not found the type of accuracy one would expect from a decent varmint barrel, but you can get them to acceptable shorter range hunting groups. Barrels may differ, but with one of mine, the groups began to grow after passing the 4,600-4,700fps mark.

I have also used these same sabots with a .224" 70gr Speer SP for deer hunting at acceptable shorter ranges.
Sometimes a particular bullet may "spin slip" inside the sabot and not stabilize well, but usually, I remedy that by light pressure rolling the bullet over a bastard file just enough to increase friction and grip. This has been mostly rare, but some brands/lots are a few tenths smaller/larger than others or slightly smoother jackets.

It did take some experimenting with load, bullet, seating depths, and some barrels prefer over others. Always start with a clean, smooth bore. So far, I have not found the type of accuracy one would expect from a decent varmint barrel, but you can get them to acceptable shorter range hunting groups. Barrels may differ, but with one of mine, the groups began to grow after passing the 4,600-4,700fps mark.
I have also used these same sabots with a .224" 70gr Speer SP for deer hunting at acceptable shorter ranges.
Sometimes a particular bullet may "spin slip" inside the sabot and not stabilize well, but usually, I remedy that by light pressure rolling the bullet over a bastard file just enough to increase friction and grip. This has been mostly rare, but some brands/lots are a few tenths smaller/larger than others or slightly smoother jackets.
Well I finally got time to do some fire forming and some load work up on two bullets, 35g HH and the 52g HH, I will go ahead and tell you I made a mistake on the twist rate@ 7.0, as slick as the Hammers are 4770 is all I can get out of the 52g HH safely in my rig, the twist is just to tight had it been a 9 twist I feel sure I would have made 5K.
The 35 made it to 5138 safe in my rig, load work up was done with 3 shots for each bullet, ended up at 64g of H 4350 with the 35 and 62g of H4350 with the 52's. Both with CCI 200's
I have 51AH' and 44g HH's on the way to test, a little disappointed in myself but I'll take it regardless, no crimp on these loads as I have sent 5 cases to LEE for dies to be made, both loads followed standard Hammer load development trends, all six shots were sub 3/4 Moa.
More to come when I can get to it
Bean

Y'all don't have any rl17 kickin around do ya?

Only a couple of #'s at present, but I'll keep my eyes open for it.
I realize I tagged you in there too haha. I was mainly asking Butterbean as I found in my .257 wby with 75 hh bullets I was able to beat h4350 with rl17, if only by a bit.

What I had meant to quote your post for was just to say good thinking on the rolling bullets down a file to mitigate slippage. Lots of trial and error no doubt

Read the whole thread. Absolutely amazing. I would be happy to see 4k in my RUM. I was checking your load data on the hammer postings. So far I have been very conservative
Here on LRH folks are conservative when it comes to politics but not loading practices 🤣🤪

Just playin, not advising anyone to try blowing themselves up 😁

Everything I load is safe in my Rig's
I beleive you. We think alike. There's folks that would condemn us both as madmen for being able to outperform what the Almighty Published Load Data says we can haha. Never mind that things like Hex boron nitride, progressive burn rate powders, and bullet geometry (including but not at all limited to hammers) do change the pressure curve. To say nothing of superior brass allowing for higher pressure before showing problems. I don't dispute that some of my loads are exceeding 65kpsi…but the question of safety is not the same as the question of an arbitrary number. There are rifles and chamberings for which 65kpsi would be totally unsafe as well.

You already know about my findings

120 Barnes tac tx at 4050 fps in a lowly 300 win mag. Hbn treated, Peterson brass, superformance, fed 215m

75 hammer hunter at 4170 in a .257 wby, hbn treated, Norma brass, rl17, non magnum primers

Both from 24 inch barrels.

I beleive you. We think alike. There's folks that would condemn us both as madmen for being able to outperform what the Almighty Published Load Data says we can haha. Never mind that things like Hex boron nitride, progressive burn rate powders, and bullet geometry (including but not at all limited to hammers) do change the pressure curve. To say nothing of superior brass allowing for higher pressure before showing problems. I don't dispute that some of my loads are exceeding 65kpsi…but the question of safety is not the same as the question of an arbitrary number. There are rifles and chamberings for which 65kpsi would be totally unsafe as well.

You already know about my findings

120 Barnes tac tx at 4050 fps in a lowly 300 win mag. Hbn treated, Peterson brass, superformance, fed 215m

75 hammer hunter at 4170 in a .257 wby, hbn treated, Norma brass, rl17, non magnum primers

Both from 24 inch barrels.
I've always said I live on the borderline and then there are folks that are just boards 😉, it's good to know I've got company