Where to start seating A-Max and SMK?

Can you provide a basis for this? A logical reason?
I wonder, because I've never seen one.

Why does ANY bullet 'like' one seating over another, in a particular chamber?

That's why I qualified "more often than not". There is no scientific reason that "I" know of, I just know that has been my experience and the experience of a lot of my friends having tried different seating depths. I realize that EVERY rifle is different, even if the same reamer was used. Not trying to argue, just stating what works most often in my experience.......Rich

I start every bullet, regardless of the ogive, at .010" off the lands and from there adjust the powder up.
I have had problems in the past finding accurate loads with Hornady SST's and Berger VLD's. The SST's were the 7mm 154gn and I have not been able to get them to consistently print groups under .75" in two different rifles (a Sendero and 700P). The Bergers were the 7mm 168gn and I shot the whole box (100ct) looking for a accuracy load. That was in the 700P mentioned above. That same 700P will shoot the 150gn Nolser Ballistic Tip into the .2-.3" range with consistency.
It is sometimes harder to find a consistent, accurate load for a secant ogive but I have never seen a scientific theory or proof as to why this is. If this was the case, I guess Weatherby's (with their freebore) wouldn't accurately shoot secant ogive bullets. I don't know this to be fact, just cynical reasoning. :) I would imagine someone out there has a Weatherby that can stack A-Max's on top of each other.
I swore off Hornady bullets a few years back. I was tired of buying those red and white boxes and not being able to get the "gilt-edge" accuracy that I was getting with Ballistic Tips. In most of the heavy barrel rifles that I shoot, I usually can get the BT's to shoot in the .2's and .3's, where with A-max's, V-max's and SST's I worked hard to get .4's. I burned alot of powder in my searches.
I recently bought some .30 cal 178gn A-Max's and have been betting good accuracy and groups from them. They are shooting sub .5's at 100yds, and this evening I shot a sub 2.5" group at 500yds with them in my .300WinMag. Not world class but pretty good for my old eyes and stock factory Savage. JohnnyK.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.