Where do I start?

Standbanger

New lease and it has a really long ag-field 900-1100 yards. I can cut the distance by alomost half small grove of trees. Normal circumstances for me is close shots less than a hundred yards. If I should decide to hunt this field the 3 rifles I have are as follows. 1. Remington 7mm08 reworked by Redhawk Rifles great rifle with a 3x9x50 Zeiss Conquest scope. 2. Tikka T3 .270 with 3.5x10x40 VX3 Leupold Scope. 3. 6.5 Grendel AA upper, Liberty lower with Geiselle match trigger with 3.5x10x50 VX3 Leupold scope. My thoughts are to re-scope the Tikka with MK4 Leupold (not sure which) practice at local range 200 yarder and go from there. What advice do you all have.

thanks in advance

I'd put a bigger and better scope on the Tikka .270 and practice at distances up to the length of the field, by gradually working your way out from 200 out to the field length.

If I can't decide soon I will just give up on the idea. I am not trying to wound an animal. Scopes are mysterious and expensive. I would like to make one purchase and be done.

If I can't decide soon I will just give up on the idea. I am not trying to wound an animal. Scopes are mysterious and expensive. I would like to make one purchase and be done.
I can see you are also from Alabama.... Most people from places like Montana, Wyo, Arizona, and places like that where LR hunting is common practice, don't understand how it is here, unless they've ever hunted here. Most people in Alabama will hunt their whole lives and never take a shot over 200 yards, just because we've always been taught to hunt the dense woods and swampy bottoms where the big bucks live.

I've always been considered "weird" by fellow hunters because I've always loved shooting long distances. When I go hunt with people I ask them to put me in the longest stretch possible, and they look at me funny...But I always kill deer. :D

I've always enjoyed setting up on a hilltop and scouting the surrounding hills and shooting deer like that. You don't have to be as cautious with your movements or worry so much about being really quiet. It's also a surreal feeling being up there. It's the closest thing we can experience to hunting in Montana.

Unfortunately where I hunt now (Greenville), we don't have any big hills or long stretches on our property. But the old property I hunted did have some big wide-open hills where I could perch up on a hilltop and scout around.

It just takes practice man...Don't sweat the small stuff. You've got plenty of time between now and November to practice your LR shooting.

Here's the setup I would run, if I had your rifle... It will suit you just fine for inside of 150, out to 1000 yards.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/29...inny-style-base-tikka-t3?cm_vc=ProductFinding

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/24...aluminum-rings-matte-low?cm_vc=ProductFinding

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/98...d-hold-bdc-reticle-matte?cm_vc=ProductFinding

then you need to quit buying Leupolds and buy Nightforce 5.5-22X56, then you will be done. Mudrunner is right, use the .270 and practice, practice, practice. you will know when you are comfortable. Good luck

then you need to quit buying Leupolds and buy Nightforce 5.5-22X56, then you will be done. Mudrunner is right, use the .270 and practice, practice, practice. you will know when you are comfortable. Good luck

You don't need a Nightforce to hunt long range. There are plenty of scopes under $600 or even less than that. I would really look into the Vortex HS-T 4-16x44 and if you don't want to spend that much look at a Redfield Revenge 6-18x44. He said he can cut those 9-1100 yard shots in half so he will be shooting around 500yds, the scopes I mentioned are more than capable of covering this. I agree practice is extremely important, once you're confident, the .270 is excellent for the ranges you'll be shooting at.

Long shots definitely not the norm for me in Alabama. As far as Leupold thats what I grew up hearing about "son get you a lewpold thats all you need". I have nothing against Nightforce they just look awful big for a hunting rig.

Night force is big and expensive for what you are doing. Michigan is very similar in not much long range. I to was also taught Leopold was the best. Since then I have been outfitting my rifles with more Nikon stuff. Or like stated above Redfield. Very good scopes and more than capable of doing what you want.

you pay a lot for the Leopold name. I used to work for a retailers and they have an additional 10% margin in them compared to other optics. if you are looking for a less expensive scope, Burris is probably the best for the money, but then you already have good scopes. 500 yards is not a problem for any reputable scope. when you pay more, by and large, you get better guts and better glass. the guts give you better return to zero and repeatability. Glass is glass. you have a Zeiss so you can see what good glass is and when it matters at dusk and dawn. I have shot deer at 500 yards with a Bushnell 3200 atop a factory Winchester model 70 300WM. so if 500 yards is your range, don't spend any more money all 3 rigs are capable of this yardage and have plenty of power for a clean kill.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.