Going Back To Where I Started........... Kinda

What powder were you using for the 4250? Mine is 10 Twist and 26". I have a number of powders but most recently been using H1000.
I was using R22 and Magpro. Both ok.

This thread rather had me thinking, so I am going to try something I had not considered before.

Going for the gold and maybe a record? I am not sure I will gain a whole lot with the 300RUM, but lets find out.

1687109560091.png

300 RUM with 52gr Match, 30-06 with 50gr TNT (already breaks 5k fps) and 308 with 50gr TNT

This thread rather had me thinking, so I am going to try something I had not considered before.

Going for the gold and maybe a record? I am not sure I will gain a whole lot with the 300RUM, but lets find out.

View attachment 471174

300 RUM with 52gr Match, 30-06 with 50gr TNT (already breaks 5k fps) and 308 with 50gr TNT

View attachment 471174

Let me know as I have some of this sabots in stock , my plan was the rum as well

Let me know as I have some of this sabots in stock , my plan was the rum as well
Will do. I am a bit concerned the material composition of these older sabots may not hold up well in the 300 RUM and much beyond the 5,000+ mark of the heavy 30-06 load, for in a few past after firings, I found a couple of the sabots that showed signs of distortion that I believed was affecting the accuracy at the higher ends.

I really need to find, or make, a better sabot created from a better material for the very high velocities, pressures and heat. Quite some time ago, I read an article by another loader/experimenter who machined his own 2 part separating, discarding sabots from either hard nylon rod or Delrin. It is along these lines, except using a 3 part discarding sabot, I would like to experiment with larger and heavier bullets for higher speed in standard calibers other than 30cal/.224 bullets. I am thinking of a bore rider type that covers the longer 6mm, .257, .277 etc. bullets

Last edited:
Will do. I am a bit concerned the material composition of these older sabots may not hold up well in the 300 RUM and much beyond the 5,000+ mark of the heavy 30-06 load, for in a few past after firings, I found a couple of the sabots that showed signs of distortion that I believed was affecting the accuracy at the higher ends.

I really need to find, or make, a better sabot created from a better material for the very high velocities, pressures and heat. Quite some time ago, I read an article by another loader/experimenter who machined his own 2 part separating, discarding sabots from either hard nylon rod or Delrin. It is along these lines, except using a 3 part discarding sabot, I would like to experiment with larger and heavier bullets for higher speed in standard calibers other than 30cal/.224 bullets. I am thinking of a bore rider type that covers the longer 6mm, .257, .277 etc. bullets
I've got new ones if you need them

I've got new ones if you need them
Thanks, but I ordered a few hundred new yesterday. These new ones are light purple in color, so I don't know if it is a different material or just a color change. I do have some different mfg, older, black sabots from the 90's that were very hard, but they tended to break off a pedal or two at very high speeds.

From the old 300WM data I have from years ago, I am thinking I can push the 52 match around the 5,500fps mark, but I am not sure those bullets will withstand the RPM's. You can push a cup-n-core to higher speeds without failure due to the bullet jacket not being weakened by the rifling scoring, but if they begin to fail, I will switch over to some old Barnes I have.

This is all your fault Bean.........