First time load development with Hammer bullets

It's a 25 3/4" factory match contour Blaser R8 barrel with a fat bastard gen-2 muzzle brake on it. I'm using new Lapua brand brass for all my testing this weekend in the 300 Win. I'm probably gonna do some testing tomorrow using my 300 Norma Mag which has a 26" barrel with 1 in 8" twist. I've got some of 214 and 199 Hammer Hunters that I've been saving to test in it. Think I'll take a short break from the Win Mag tomorrow and try to fire off some loads for the Norma with those heavier Hammers to see how they perform.
I'm not a ballistics expert for sure, but elevation is a significant factor for bullet stabilization; at least according to most ballistic calculators. I think that's why you're stable in the CO high country with the 181s.

I'm not a ballistics expert for sure, but elevation is a significant factor for bullet stabilization; at least according to most ballistic calculators. I think that's why you're stable in the CO high country with the 181s.
Thanks for the comment tygr. And yes I totally agree that elevation is a key factor when it comes to bullet stability for certain. However, I live close to Texarkana Tx. My shooting bench is at 237ft above sea level; not much elevation at all. But the 181's seem to be performing exactly as designed and I'm also able to shoot great groups with Berger's 230 grain OTM bullets too at this altitude from the bench all the way out to 1,000 yards. So my guess is that its just a fluke barrel; could probably buy several more of the exact same barrel and none of them would probably be able to stabilize the 181 Hammers or the 230 Bergers either I'm betting.. But I'm not complaining and it kind of goes to show that you never really know for certain if your bullets will stabilize in slightly slower than rated twist barrels or not until you test them I guess.

BG, what have you done to try to make them tumble?

Marginal twist, impact velocity or distance?

I'm loading hammers shortly and unless I can get on a large hog a fall elk hunt could be my first shot on game.
Try Swift Scirocco instead.

Some good shooting ol' boy. I laugh when I hear folks talk about the cult like following of hammer bullets yet the same folks bleed Berger yellow. I like Bergers for a certain purpose but avoid them for closer shots if all possible. I have developed Hammer loads in several rifles, a few that were raggedy *** A-bolts and have been able to find satisfactory loads quickly in all guns. I have yet to find a disappointing aspect of hammers, sure the BCs aren't stupid high but for the intended purpose they are well suited. I have been pleased with them and will continue to be a supporter as long as they shoot good, remain American made and maintain exceptional customer service.

Still working on some of my other rifles converting some of them over to Hammer Bullets for using on various hunts for this coming up fall season. I worked up a load for my custom 28 Nosler that is one of the most accurate yet. Loading the 177 Hammer Hunters in it using 81.0 grains of N570 getting 3,305 fps average muzzle velocity with groups in the .1's at distances of 300 and 400 yards. Also worked up a load today for my factory Bergara Hmr Pro 6mm Creedmoor with the 88 grain Hammer Hunters using 42.9 grains of H4350 giving muzzle velocity of 3,350 fps; it's producing groups just right at or under .25 MOA at distances of 300 yards. Planning on working up another load this weekend converting a 7 Rem Mag factory Bergara over to Hammers as well if I can keep getting the same kind of accuracy. I saw the Hammer Bullets load data on this site and was wondering if there's an area I should be posting my load data to be published on there somehow or if I should just keep posting my results on this thread?

Still working on some of my other rifles converting some of them over to Hammer Bullets for using on various hunts for this coming up fall season. I worked up a load for my custom 28 Nosler that is one of the most accurate yet. Loading the 177 Hammer Hunters in it using 81.0 grains of N570 getting 3,305 fps average muzzle velocity with groups in the .1's at distances of 300 and 400 yards. Also worked up a load today for my factory Bergara Hmr Pro 6mm Creedmoor with the 88 grain Hammer Hunters using 42.9 grains of H4350 giving muzzle velocity of 3,350 fps; it's producing groups just right at or under .25 MOA at distances of 300 yards. Planning on working up another load this weekend converting a 7 Rem Mag factory Bergara over to Hammers as well if I can keep getting the same kind of accuracy. I saw the Hammer Bullets load data on this site and was wondering if there's an area I should be posting my load data to be published on there somehow or if I should just keep posting my results on this thread?
Post your results on the Hammer hunter bullet page and the absolute Hammers on the Absolute Hammer Hunter page . Your data will be posted for others too share . Thanks

I have a 28 Nosler, I am down the road from you in Sulphur Springs, TX., I am developing a load with the 169 HH, I wanted to use the 177 HH, but another member on this forum that tried them had issues with them not stabilizing. He would get good group's, then notice a key hole, he has an 8 twist same as mine, he was below 500' sea level, like me, so I am curious if you are not seeing the same problems?

Where is the hammer page?
Load data for HAMMER HUNTERS (Post #8)

Load data for ABSOLUTE HAMMERS (Post #2)

Last edited:
I have a 28 Nosler, I am down the road from you in Sulphur Springs, TX., I am developing a load with the 169 HH, I wanted to use the 177 HH, but another member on this forum that tried them had issues with them not stabilizing. He would get good group's, then notice a key hole, he has an 8 twist same as mine, he was below 500' sea level, like me, so I am curious if you are not seeing the same problems?
I haven't had any problems with stabilization so far with the 177's. Like him I am firing them out of an 8" twist barrel 28" Bartlein Remington Varmint contour. Mine is throated a little extra longer than Sammi but not sure exactly how much longer; I wanna say it's around .110" longer but can't remember exactly. It is a fast barrel and so is my 26 Nosler though. They were built by the same gunsmith (Chris Brown of Long Range Customs) in Idaho. Every rifle he has built for me to date shoots in the .1-.2 MOA range. He does outstanding work in a timely manner for very fair prices. The furthest I have shot the 177's so far is to 500 yards. It's possible that they will destabilize after that but I don't know cause that's as far as I've tested them to. Like I said though mine has an extra long throat and helps with seating them out longer and burning 2 to 3 grains of extra powder before I tend to hit noticeable pressure giving them just over 3,300 fps for my accuracy load in that rifle. If I was load developing with a SAAMI spec chamber, even with an 8" twist 26" barrel then I would have chosen the 169's instead of the 177's to keep my velocity up which in turn also helps slightly with bullet stabilization issues. If I notice any stabilization issues when I start my long range testing out to my 725 yard target and beyond then I will keep y'all informed.

I got a new Proof Research 7mm Rem Mag that I'm gonna be doing load development for this weekend starting tomorrow using either the 143 HH or the 155 HH; I have both on hand. I looked up the Hammer Load Data and it appears there's not much info on there for a 24" 7 Rem Mag unless your using RL-23 which is the one useful powder that I do not have. Honestly though, the velocities with 23 don't really look that impressive to me anyways (possibly too slow for 143's and maybe even 155's for top velocity ranges those weight bullets). From what I can find looking through my Hornady and Nosler manuals it appears that the best possible powders for those bullet weights will be IMR-4350, IMR-4831, RL-19, and RL-22. And there's some others (I have had fantastic luck with IMR-7828 from 150 grain and up in the past in the 7 RM). Anyways, I'm gonna start with the IMR's first tomorrow and then just go from there if neither works out unless someone out there has any better recommendations other than RL-23 which I don't have any of? Steve if you wanna chime in to point me off in the right direction powder wise please feel free to do so! Thanks, Jon

I got a new Proof Research 7mm Rem Mag that I'm gonna be doing load development for this weekend starting tomorrow using either the 143 HH or the 155 HH; I have both on hand. I looked up the Hammer Load Data and it appears there's not much info on there for a 24" 7 Rem Mag unless your using RL-23 which is the one useful powder that I do not have. Honestly though, the velocities with 23 don't really look that impressive to me anyways (possibly too slow for 143's and maybe even 155's for top velocity ranges those weight bullets). From what I can find looking through my Hornady and Nosler manuals it appears that the best possible powders for those bullet weights will be IMR-4350, IMR-4831, RL-19, and RL-22. And there's some others (I have had fantastic luck with IMR-7828 from 150 grain and up in the past in the 7 RM). Anyways, I'm gonna start with the IMR's first tomorrow and then just go from there if neither works out unless someone out there has any better recommendations other than RL-23 which I don't have any of? Steve if you wanna chime in to point me off in the right direction powder wise please feel free to do so! Thanks, Jon
Rl22 and 23 load within a grain of each other. So of your powders listed I would look at imr4831 or rl22.

In my experience, many bullets tumble after impact, especially as they lose velocity with a long range hit. A faster rate of twist will help some bullets, but adventually the slower impact velocity at long range will allow the bullet to tumble. In many cases, this is not a bad feature. In my experience, when I've had an impact velocity of over 2400 FPS, the bullets have not tumbled unless they struck a heavy bone. However, after entering an animal, the velocity of the bullets slows quickly, and at the end of penetration, the bullet will sometimes reverse with the heel going thru first as the bullet is likely more aerodynamic with the mushroom bringing up the rear.

In my experience, many bullets tumble after impact, especially as they lose velocity with a long range hit. A faster rate of twist will help some bullets, but adventually the slower impact velocity at long range will allow the bullet to tumble. In many cases, this is not a bad feature. In my experience, when I've had an impact velocity of over 2400 FPS, the bullets have not tumbled unless they struck a heavy bone. However, after entering an animal, the velocity of the bullets slows quickly, and at the end of penetration, the bullet will sometimes reverse with the heel going thru first as the bullet is likely more aerodynamic with the mushroom bringing up the rear.
This is why our minimum required twist for Hammer Bullets is oriented toward terminal performance not ballistic performance.