6.5prc 124 hammer hunters load development?

I bought an 8 pounder of RL26 in late 2019 and two 1 pounders. I still have the 8 pd. and 2/3rds left of a pound. I haven't seen RL26 since 2019. Lots of Retumbo and for awhile H1000. Have plenty of those . A lot of N570 and N565 also. I'm set.

Last edited:
Guys I just wanted to put it out there that I might be using Magnum Primers with the 58.5 Grain load. I will have to check my load book on that. Don't want to put out any bad data to you guys. I will post once I get a chance to look it up. What ever primer it is it shoots good.......
The first couple of prc's we loaded were with mag primers. Topped out at 3200ish. Switched to lr primers and were able to get 4 more grains before pressure and topped out at 3470 fps. 26" barrels. We have been able to use n560 and rl26 almost grain for grain in the prc.

The first couple of prc's we loaded were with mag primers. Topped out at 3200ish. Switched to lr primers and were able to get 4 more grains before pressure and topped out at 3470 fps. 26" barrels. We have been able to use n560 and rl26 almost grain for grain in the prc.

What velocity differences are you seeing between the 123 AH and the 124 HH? The speeds you are getting out of the 124 are almost 100 fps faster than I could get the 123gr going with N560.

What velocity differences are you seeing between the 123 AH and the 124 HH? The speeds you are getting out of the 124 are almost 100 fps faster than I could get the 123gr going with N560.
We have not tried the 123g Absolute in the prc. My guess is they will be about the same. The prc is a very efficient and we see less gain from the more efficient cartridges with the Absolutes.

We have not tried the 123g Absolute in the prc. My guess is they will be about the same. The prc is a very efficient and we see less gain from the more efficient cartridges with the Absolutes.
I'm glad you said that. I know it wasn't smart and it's a whole different bullet but last year I loaded five 123 Absolutes with same load I do with 124 Hammers . I chonographed. The Abulutes were on average 10 fps slower . I thought what the heck ? Something's wrong. I've never tested them since. I'm sure with a different powder they would shoot faster. Was using RL23. Fed 210. ADG.

I'm glad you said that. I know it wasn't smart and it's a whole different bullet but last year I loaded five 123 Absolutes with same load I do with 124 Hammers . I chonographed. The Abulutes were on average 10 fps slower . I thought what the heck ? Something's wrong. I've never tested them since. I'm sure with a different powder they would shoot faster. Was using RL23. Fed 210. ADG.
With the same charge they should be slower. The lower engraving pressure would need more powder to get to the same pressure. In most cartridges the potential velocity is higher.

With the same charge they should be slower. The lower engraving pressure would need more powder to get to the same pressure. In most cartridges the potential velocity is higher.
Thanks Steve for clearing that up in my head ! I haven't tried Absolutes in 6.5x284 or Creedmoor yet. Just PRC.

Thanks Steve for clearing that up in my head ! I haven't tried Absolutes in 6.5x284 or Creedmoor yet. Just PRC.
From what I'm reading , correct me if I'm wrong it seems the regular hammer bullet versus the absolutes will keep up with velocity when you have run out of case volume with a 100 % case fill versus having extra volume in a overbore cartridge. I load the 124 gr , 123 gr and the 109 gr I made it too 3300 and 3450 with N165 and 3724 fps with N560 with the 109 gr . My next load work up was going too be with the 123 gr and N 560 , but now from what I'm reading I may just stick too the 124 gr and the 109 gr with N 560 .

From what I'm reading , correct me if I'm wrong it seems the regular hammer bullet versus the absolutes will keep up with velocity when you have run out of case volume with a 100 % case fill versus having extra volume in a overbore cartridge. I load the 124 gr , 123 gr and the 109 gr I made it too 3300 and 3450 with N165 and 3724 fps with N560 with the 109 gr . My next load work up was going too be with the 123 gr and N 560 , but now from what I'm reading I may just stick too the 124 gr and the 109 gr with N 560 .
I would think the 123AH would need faster powder than n560 in the prc.

I would think the 123AH would need faster powder than n560 in the prc.
So far I got my best speed with the 123 AH and N560 in the PRC after trying a number of different powders.

This year I switched my 24" Proof for an 18" Carbon 6 so I'm going to try N555 with the 109gr AH to see how fast I can get it. If Hard Rock was getting 3700 I'm hoping to get at least 3400 out of it.

So I developed the 123AH to 3470fps with R26 and WLR primers. Shot half a dozen axis deer with them with decent results. I'm now tempted after reading this to see where I'm at with a similar load using 124 or 131HH. Question for this thread is what is the difference in BC and real world terminal ballistics (if any)?

So I developed the 123AH to 3470fps with R26 and WLR primers. Shot half a dozen axis deer with them with decent results. I'm now tempted after reading this to see where I'm at with a similar load using 124 or 131HH. Question for this thread is what is the difference in BC and real world terminal ballistics (if any)?
Terminal performance will be hairsplitting diff. Technically the Absolute will shed petals a bit quicker because of slightly less material in front of the shoulder. The Hammer Hunter has a small advantage in bc. Usually.

Terminal performance will be hairsplitting diff. Technically the Absolute will shed petals a bit quicker because of slightly less material in front of the shoulder. The Hammer Hunter has a small advantage in bc. Usually.
The 131 gr will have a definite bc advantage , but max velocity is around 3200 fps out of my other 6.5 prc 25in Bartlein 1-7.5 twist , I might squeeze more out of it just haven't pushed that one that is a long bullet requires a 1-7.5 twist . It is as long as any 140 gr bullet , it should be a great performer on game bigger than Tx size deer.

The 131 gr will have a definite bc advantage , but max velocity is around 3200 fps out of my other 6.5 prc 25in Bartlein 1-7.5 twist , I might squeeze more out of it just haven't pushed that one that is a long bullet requires a 1-7.5 twist . It is as long as any 140 gr bullet , it should be a great performer on game bigger than Tx size deer.
I meant too say the 131gr hammer is as long as any 140 gr cup and core 6.5 cal bullet