First time load development with Hammer bullets

PapaSmurff

So I got a new 300 Win Mag Blaser barrel in and started load development for it this afternoon. After a few shots with factory ammo to get it roughly sighted in on my 300 yard target I started with the 166 grain Hammer hunters. To my surprise the shots literally dubbed each other! Velocity with 80.0 grains of RL-26 was 3,220 fps. I then moved out to the 400 yard target with the next 2 shots with 2 more shots and surprise again; both shots were mostly overlapping and dead center bullseye. That 2 shot group measures 3/8" center to center. Finally for my third group I decided to pull a Hail Mary and try the 181 Hammer Hunters; not changing the setting on my micrometer seater die at all, just dropped the powder charge down one grain to 79.0. Guess what, those two shots overlapped even more so! The 181 two shot group measures 1/4" at 400 yards. That's a .0625" MOA two shot group! It's not even supposed to stabilize the 181's in an 11 twist barrel or the 166's for that matter but they both shot with incredible accuracy out of my Blaser R8 Match contour barrel. I stopped right there after just those 6 shots because a storm was moving into my area so I had to pack up for the day. I will do more testing at longer ranges this weekend however. I'm including a picture of my 400 yard target for y'all to see. The 2 perfectly center shots are the 166 Hammer Hunters with muzzle velocity of 3,220 measuring 3/8". The two shots on the left side are the 181 Hammer Hunters which measures .24 of an inch with my caliper. Unbelievable accuracy from both those loads! Can't wait to try the Hammers on game this coming fall hunting season!

Jon

Attachments

• 6265ED21-B72E-4055-A13A-D14AD73639A3.jpeg
    6265ED21-B72E-4055-A13A-D14AD73639A3.jpeg
    54.9 KB · Views: 404
So I got a new 300 Win Mag Blaser barrel in and started load development for it this afternoon. After a few shots with factory ammo to get it roughly sighted in on my 300 yard target I started with the 166 grain Hammer hunters. To my surprise the shots literally dubbed each other! Velocity with 80.0 grains of RL-26 was 3,220 fps. I then moved out to the 400 yard target with the next 2 shots with 2 more shots and surprise again; both shots were mostly overlapping and dead center bullseye. That 2 shot group measures 3/8" center to center. Finally for my third group I decided to pull a Hail Mary and try the 181 Hammer Hunters; not changing the setting on my micrometer seater die at all, just dropped the powder charge down one grain to 79.0. Guess what, those two shots overlapped even more so! The 181 two shot group measures 1/4" at 400 yards. That's a .0625" MOA two shot group! It's not even supposed to stabilize the 181's in an 11 twist barrel or the 166's for that matter but they both shot with incredible accuracy out of my Blaser R8 Match contour barrel. I stopped right there after just those 6 shots because a storm was moving into my area so I had to pack up for the day. I will do more testing at longer ranges this weekend however. I'm including a picture of my 400 yard target for y'all to see. The 2 perfectly center shots are the 166 Hammer Hunters with muzzle velocity of 3,220 measuring 3/8". The two shots on the left side are the 181 Hammer Hunters which measures .24 of an inch with my caliper. Unbelievable accuracy from both those loads! Can't wait to try the Hammers on game this coming fall hunting season!

Jon
That's some good shooting , got too love those hammers.

That's some good shooting , got too love those hammers.
I am loving them in those preliminary test results today for sure! I have always been a Berger or a Hornady guy and I'm an outfitter for elk in Colorado. Have lots of successful kills with Hornady's and Berger's both but usually don't get very many exit holes with those brands. From everything I read about Hammers I will get exits most of the time, especially with the 181's. Regardless I know they kill good and with that kind of accuracy (.0625 MOA) I already feel lucky!

I have had several kills with 180 gr Accubond bullets but I'm jumping ship on Accubond and switching over to Hammers all the way.
I shot my best group with 180 gr Hammer Hunters first time loading for them,same with the 166 gr Hammers also.
They are way too easy to load for and all three of my 300 win mags shoot them great.
I have NEVER ordered Hammer bullets and was told they were out of stock,could happen as they are getting more popular but Customer service and always in stock keeps me buying Hammer bullets.

Last edited:
I kinda went backwards Saturday on Hammer load development. Tried 85gr HH in 6.5CM.....kinda think that rifle is gonna want a heavier bullet. The cheapo Hornady 140s I used for break in and brass fire forming were shooting great. Gonna try the 97gr AH and see if it goes better....
What powder are you going to use?
I use the Absolute Hammer 97 gr in my 6.5 Grendel and use Re10 powder and getting insane velocities.I bet you will get similar results with different powders than I use.

What powder are you going to use?
I use the Absolute Hammer 97 gr in my 6.5 Grendel and use Re10 powder and getting insane velocities.I bet you will get similar results with different powders than I use.
I was using Norma 202 on the 85 HH. Seemed to really climb in velocity when going up in 1/2 grain increments:

41.0 2906
41.5 2964
42.0 3006
42.5 3066 2 out of 4 shots had a slight sticky bolt
43.0 3092 very sticky bolt. 0.001" head growth

Granted, this little rifle has a 16" barrel, but I was expecting a bit more velocity from those 85gr HH

I learned that a FL size with expander ball then a FL without helped my groups immensely with HH's. Maybe try that if you are not already.
I kinda went backwards Saturday on Hammer load development. Tried 85gr HH in 6.5CM.....kinda think that rifle is gonna want a heavier bullet. The cheapo Hornady 140s I used for break in and brass fire forming were shooting great. Gonna try the 97gr AH and see if it goes better....

Mine with the 166 and with the 181 are shooting under .1 MOA with both bullets. But I'm wondering since I have an 11 twist barrel if the bullets are just gonna tumble and not expand inside game animals or if the front petals will still break off and cause sufficient destruction. Does anyone have any terminal performance results on animals when using hammers with slower than recommended twist rates? The accuracy is just amazing so I wanna use them but not if they won't kill well because of my slower than recommended barrel twist rate?

I learned that a FL size with expander ball then a FL without helped my groups immensely with HH's. Maybe try that if you are not already.
After fire forming, I use the Redding S type FL sizing die without the neck bushing. Then I size the necks using the Lee collet type die. After sizing, my brass runout is next to nothing. I then seat bullets using LE Wilson chamber type die. Lastly, I use a Lee factory type crimp die.

Mine with the 166 and with the 181 are shooting under .1 MOA with both bullets. But I'm wondering since I have an 11 twist barrel if the bullets are just gonna tumble and not expand inside game animals or if the front petals will still break off and cause sufficient destruction. Does anyone have any terminal performance results on animals when using hammers with slower than recommended twist rates? The accuracy is just amazing so I wanna use them but not if they won't kill well because of my slower than recommended barrel twist rate?
Contact Steve at Hammer Bullets.There is an email address on the bullet site and a phone number.
That is a question for the expert,I use them but don't know the limits of twist.Let all of us know the results

Contact Steve at Hammer Bullets.There is an email address on the bullet site and a phone number.
That is a question for the expert,I use them but don't know the limits of twist.Let all of us know the results
I called and talked to Brian. He thinks that the bullets will most likely tumble inside the animal. But he's not 100% sure of that so he wants me to do some testing to find out for sure and get back to him with my results. So, it looks like I'm gonna be using water jugs and boxes of magazines/newspapers behind each full water jug this weekend to test them out. Planning on testing the 166 Hammer Hunters and also the 181 Hammer Hunters. If there's time I will also be testing out the 260 grain Hammer Hunter in my 338 Norma Mag with the same set of parameters. Testing shots will be done at 400 yards to mimic a real in the field shot at medium distance. I will keep y'all informed of the results!

Make sure you verify drops at long range with actual shots and don't just rely on using BC and ballistic calculation. I worked up a fantastic shooting load in my 28 Nosler only to find out later that for some reason the hammer was being deformed and BC drastically altered by my rifle.