Load development with Thunderbeast

I have the ultra 9 and when I put it on and shot with the loads I already had nothing changed beside 1 click down. The velocity stayed the same groups might be tighter. I have a supressor cover and had some mirage but you must live where it's really hot because I shot 6 to 7 shot groups and no issues where I couldn't see the target. What cover do you have?
The day I had issues was 70-75 degrees and dead calm. I live in north Idaho and by rifle season it will cool down 25+ degrees. I may wait and do it all 2 weeks prior to season opener. My current cover is an Armageddon

Glad to hear your load didn't change. I was afraid of having to start over if I use a brake to develop my final load.
It may not be true for all it worked for 3 ar-15 , a 308, and 3 300 win mags. And other than the AR-15 I use a muzzle brake as a quick attach for my suppressor. I shoot a silencerco hybrid

The day I had issues was 70-75 degrees and dead calm. I live in north Idaho and by rifle season it will cool down 25+ degrees. I may wait and do it all 2 weeks prior to season opener. My current cover is an Armageddon
I shot mine in 80 degrees. What scope? But I do have the ultra 9 maybe that helps being longer

I do it all the time with my ultra 7 ultra 9 and 338 ultra .. On 300 rums and 300 Norma Improved 22" barrels and bigger 338's

i dont run the covers ever and I wont shoot any of my rifles more than 3 during load work specially big mags no point to me and increases throat erosion

I take two or 3 rifle with me and switch off

More times than not I will take the can off between three shot strings so it doesn't heat soak the barrel and it cools the can faster

Last edited:
Do load development without it.
Lots and lots of BS about barrel harmonics and yada-yada aside.... yeah, groups will generally only get better hanging suppressor weight off the end of a barrel, just take the can off until you get a decent load for final tuning. I generally do load development with the suppressor on, but with the RUM and big thumpers sometimes you have to make compromises. If you don't have at least a roughed-in load you gotta start somewhere, right?

I would use a bare muzzle and not a brake if you have a DT model (suck it up, Buttercup!). If it's the CB brake that goes inside the can, leave it on. Basically nothing other than what will still be on the barrel once you put the can on.

I did not read all the responses. But, from your original post, here is my advice.

You should not be taking more than 3 shots at a time without letting the barrel completely cool anyway.

Absolutely work up your load with the suppressor, if that is how you will be shooting it.

If you are shooting a ladder test, start at your lowest charge weight, shot first 3, let cool 30 minutes. Shoot 4-6, let cool 30 minutes. Shoot 7-9, let cool 30 minutes.

If you are doing a OCW test, same practice.

I usually load up 5 to 6 three round groups for both charge weight (week 1) and seating depth (week 2).

Shoot first 3, let cool 30 minutes.
Shoot next 3, let cool 30 minutes.
Etc.

Take more than 1 gun to shoot during cooling cycles. I take 4 to 5 each week. And plan to spend 3-5 hours at the range during load development.

I did not read all the responses. But, from your original post, here is my advice.

You should not be taking more than 3 shots at a time without letting the barrel completely cool anyway.

Absolutely work up your load with the suppressor, if that is how you will be shooting it.

If you are shooting a ladder test, start at your lowest charge weight, shot first 3, let cool 30 minutes. Shoot 4-6, let cool 30 minutes. Shoot 7-9, let cool 30 minutes.

If you are doing a OCW test, same practice.

I usually load up 5 to 6 three round groups for both charge weight (week 1) and seating depth (week 2).

Shoot first 3, let cool 30 minutes.
Shoot next 3, let cool 30 minutes.
Etc.

Take more than 1 gun to shoot during cooling cycles. I take 4 to 5 each week. And plan to spend 3-5 hours at the range during load development.
Cbs GIF

A budy rigged up an 12v air mattress inflation pump to a thin flexible hose and connected that to his bore guide. Forces air rapidly down his barrel and out the can.
Just got back from a PD shoot. He would shoot five shots and cool. The temp was upper 70's and his barrel and can were cool in about 5 minutes.