Load Development

gonehuntingagain

I finally made the investment in a digital camera so I can now post my pics of some loads that I tested with my Rem VS LH that I got last year. I decided on using the Nosler 168gr J4 since they are not too expensive when I get them in the 250 pack. I have been using WC844 military pulldown powder, so I wasn't expecting too much for groups. I did try 1 load with IMR4350. All were at 100 yards. Check these out.

308_Group1.jpg

308_Group2.jpg

IMR4350_308_Group.jpg

The pulldown powder didn't do too bad at all, I think the stringing was me more than anything. The gun is totally stock, I only adjusted the trigger.

I also completed my Shooting Table that was shown here

[ 06-08-2004: Message edited by: gonehuntingagain ]

I have just got the same rifle in .308. I dont have any ".308" powders laying around, and I'm encouraged to see that you got a magnum type powder to shoot so well.

What primers did you use with the IMR4350??

I do think Varget or others might produce better results. Dont you??..sakofan..I have het to shoot mine. Waiting on scope.
frown.gif

[ 06-08-2004: Message edited by: sakofan ]

I'm pretty sure I used Fed 215 magnum primers - I'd have to look, but I used what the Speer book said, so if it stated mag primers, then I used one.

I tried Varget with several different loads with the J4s and Fed 210s and just could not get them to group worth a ****. Varget was sending them downrange at slightly over 2700 fps, with only +/- 10 fps. All bulltes are seated to the max length for the magazine.

I haven't loaded too many with the IMR4350 since I have an 8 lb jug of the WC844 available. For what I do with the gun, it performs good, plus it was inexpensive - I also reload my 223 with it as well. When it runs out, I may try something else.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.