Load development with Thunderbeast

jbur13

Good Morning-
I'm new to suppressors and have a 300 rum with a Thunderbeast Ultra 7. What are you guys doing for load development while using the suppressor?
Here's my problem- I went to the range with a bunch of newly loaded ammo and after about 3 shots the mirage is so bad I have to let the barrel cool for 20 min. How in the world am I going to get a load developed? Yes, I have a suppressor cover on it.
My question is, should I put my brake on the gun, develop a load, and do final zero with the suppressor?
Would love to hear what works for people using cans!

Get you one of these
20220828_184119.jpg

When I got my first suppressor, I told myself I didn't need a suppressor cover. Turns out, I experienced exactly what you are talking about with mirage too bad to see after a couple shots. Added a cover, and don't have an issue.
It also sounds like you need to get a barrel cooler to help push that hot air out. Get a good one as suppressor slows the air leaving the barrel and you need a higher static pressure to force the air through.

The suppressor cover will help, but you will still have mirage on a calm day. The best thing that I have found to help when shooting high volume with a suppressor is to place a portable camping fan on the bench aimed at the suppressor. This will help to cool the suppressor but mainly it helps decrease the optical aberration caused by the mirage.

Do load development without it. Do you have a POI shift with your Ultra 7? If not, even better. With my Ultra's I only have two barrels that have a POI shift with the can on. Usually my groups get a little tighter, can acts like a little tuner with the little amount of weight it ads.

Get a good cover that has the heat shield rubber in it. Just a cover won't do much, you need the heat shield material that has the rubber... I shot quick and I never have mirage issues...

I have the ultra 9 and when I put it on and shot with the loads I already had nothing changed beside 1 click down. The velocity stayed the same groups might be tighter. I have a supressor cover and had some mirage but you must live where it's really hot because I shot 6 to 7 shot groups and no issues where I couldn't see the target. What cover do you have?

My loads are the same with or without my suppressor on. So you may want to do your development without the suppressor then check it with the suppressor
Glad to hear your load didn't change. I was afraid of having to start over if I use a brake to develop my final load.

The suppressor cover will help, but you will still have mirage on a calm day. The best thing that I have found to help when shooting high volume with a suppressor is to place a portable camping fan on the bench aimed at the suppressor. This will help to cool the suppressor but mainly it helps decrease the optical aberration caused by the mirage.
I like that idea! thanks-

Do load development without it. Do you have a POI shift with your Ultra 7? If not, even better. With my Ultra's I only have two barrels that have a POI shift with the can on. Usually my groups get a little tighter, can acts like a little tuner with the little amount of weight it ads.

Get a good cover that has the heat shield rubber in it. Just a cover won't do much, you need the heat shield material that has the rubber... I shot quick and I never have mirage issues...
Yes, there is a little POI shift and I'm leaning towards development without the can, then adjust for final load with can, and don't take it off after that.
What brand cover has the material with heatshield and rubber?

Yes, there is a little POI shift and I'm leaning towards development without the can, then adjust for final load with can, and don't take it off after that.
What brand cover has the material with heatshield and rubber?
Devour has the heatshield.
No mirage with heavy rates of fire, even scoped AR platforms aren't an issue with multiple mag dumps