300AX and 124gr hammer hunter load development (speed freak)

I have a hell of a load with the 181gr HH doing a crisp 3500fps with a healthy dose of RL33 but now I'm really wanting to push the speed and moving to trying the 124's

With that, I'm going to need some guidance on this one's load development.

I've been sifting through some of the lighter bullet loads for 300RUM to get an idea where start. Despite being an experienced reloader, I just don't feel confident enough to begin to select powders to try for this.

This is certainly uncharted territory for me!
Rl26,h4350,n560, RL16 should be good.

I hit pressure with the 124gr HH at 84gr H4350 in my 30 Sherman Mag.

Butterbean runs ~100gr of h4350 with 124s in his 300 Rum.

I would think you could start with 96gr of H4350. Try using a lee fcd if you can make one work for your cartridge or jam the lands.
If you can't do either of those use a tighter neck tension.
My guess is youl be running around ~ 103-105gr of H4350 at 4300fps with comfortable pressures.

OP. I've been intending to do the same thing with a 300 lapimp I have.

But this time stuff is a valuable commodity in short supply.

OP. I've been intending to do the same thing with a 300 lapimp I have.

But this time stuff is a valuable commodity in short supply.
Oh ain't that the truth! I remember when i was younger I had to pace myself, how often I'd go shooting and how much I'd let myself shoot in a day, because I didn't have much money and would run out of supplies if I just let myself go nuts…not that I have a ton of money now haha but my stockpile has gotten pretty good for someone like me (not a competitive shooter or anything like that) and I just don't get out to use it much anymore. Just the chapter of life I'm in, got 4 very young kids and so regardless of employment and continuing education I have different priorities and responsibilities right now and all the older people in my life keep warning me that these years when they're this little pass by too fast and I'll miss it when it's over (even though it's testing at times in the moment haha).

The really stupid thing is that I think I like handloading way more than I even like shooting the rifles, and so I get the itch to go shooting not just for the sake of shooting, but because at times all my brass is "occupied" and I want to "liberate" it so i can do some more handloading!!!

Oh ain't that the truth! I remember when i was younger I had to pace myself, how often I'd go shooting and how much I'd let myself shoot in a day, because I didn't have much money and would run out of supplies if I just let myself go nuts…not that I have a ton of money now haha but my stockpile has gotten pretty good for someone like me (not a competitive shooter or anything like that) and I just don't get out to use it much anymore. Just the chapter of life I'm in, got 4 very young kids and so regardless of employment and continuing education I have different priorities and responsibilities right now and all the older people in my life keep warning me that these years when they're this little pass by too fast and I'll miss it when it's over (even though it's testing at times in the moment haha).

The really stupid thing is that I think I like handloading way more than I even like shooting the rifles, and so I get the itch to go shooting not just for the sake of shooting, but because at times all my brass is "occupied" and I want to "liberate" it so i can do some more handloading!!!
This man understands ☝️

No joke! I remember when I started working around 14 how when I'd become an adult and be able to buy all the guns and shoot as much as I wanted 🤣🤣🤣 So naïve

After talking with Steve, we're leaning towards the 150gr power hammer!

Might not be as interesting as the prospect of the 124 or 137 doing 4000-4200FPS but the 150gr with the larger power hammer hollow point in the 3800's will be a show stopper

Recent Posts