FFP scope for an elk rifle

I've got a pair of LRHSi's and a razor lht. My go to hunting scopes. Like them both, the lht edges out in optical quality and less weight but it's sfp. I've never been a Leopold fan but would look at them again.

Hi guys. I know there are lots of similar threads and I've read many of them. But spending other people's money is fun, right? I'm looking for a scope to put on my .284 Win Tikka for an elk hunting trip to Colorado this coming season:
View attachment 341714
It will be my first western hunting trip, but I've been deer hunting in MN and WI and shooting PRS style competitions out to 1k so I'm at least a decent if not amazing shot. I want the scope to enable a harvest out to 600 yds.

I'm set on:
- 3-18ish mag range
- FFP, mil
- locking elevation turret
- not super heavy. I'd live with up to 32 oz, but would prefer <28 oz (1.75 lbs)
- $1k or less preferred, but I could swing up to $1250 (and can get a Tenmile or LHT for that due to a friend with dealer pricing)
- Will retain a zero well. Forgot this initially as I feel like it should go without saying, but given recent contentious forum posts on the LHT, maybe not? I've read all of that and not sure what to make of it.

I tried to include every decent scope I could find that meets that criteria on the list, but doesn't include an OG LRHS/LRTS as they're so hard to find (esp the 3-12). No, the PST doesn't have locking turrets but wanted it there for reference.

View attachment 341715

What have I missed, and of that what would you all recommend? Thanks.
Heck of a table. Suggest ou also check Burris - very good quality for the money/several grades-levels - and they real/sturdy hunting scopes -HQd in Colorado.

I have a 4.5 - 18 x 44 Bushnell Elite LRTSi (very much like the LRHS) with an illuminated G3 small "Xmas tree" reticle. I use Bushnell's ARC 1 Mile range finding binoculars with it for hold-over information. Then I set the hold-over on the target and estimate windage and hold on one of the Xmas tree's "branches". This is an ideal scope for Nevada's usually longer shots. My scope has been Cerakoted OD green.

That "tree" is excellent for windage holds. And the Illumination is great for darker days or when animals are standing against a dark or shaded background where black reticles can get lost.

I would prefer a SIG Sierra 6 BDX scope with its companion KILO rangefinder binocular/ballistic engine but I like the slightly better glass of the Bushnell Elite scopes. The BDX setup uses Bluetooth to "talk" to the scope from the rangefinder to give exact hold-over as well as windage IF you have a Kestrel 5700 working with the rangefinder. The BDX system is the most advanced scope system yet.

RIFLE.jpeg

Last edited:
A lot will disagree with me on this, but I would not trust an Athlon.

I was sent a Helos to test. Failed miserably within 20 rounds. Sent it back and got a second. DIsaster.
Then was sent a Midas, same issues. After that one, I told the guy thank you for the opportunity, but no thanks.
They would not track, would not return to zero. At all. Not even close. 3 in a row. Tested on a 6.5SLR.

I have a buddy who had an original Cronus on his 6.5-06AI, then .280AI. It went down days before a NM pronghorn hunt we were going on (that he didn't diagnose until he missed several shots and switched to another rifle), and a WY pronghorn hunt following that. He borrowed my Premier for that WY hunt and a Mexico Coues hunt while waiting on a replacement. Athlon sent him a new Cronus BTR, and so far so good. 2 years and counting, but he doesn't shoot much.

I would have 0 confidence in them. 4 for 5 having issues of the ones I personally have shot behind is a telling tale for me.
I think that happens with all scopes at times!!

I've got a 3-15 razor LHT on a 6.5prc and it's a couple Benjamins less than the 4.5-22 and just fine for big game out to 800yrds. Just took two Coues deer with it at 730 and 580yrds. Honestly it has better glass than my NIghtforce. Easier to read reticle FFP and zero stop. My NF is a older NSX 5.5-22.

Love this scope want to buy a couple more and one of the 4.5-22's.

I have set up two back country guns with that Mark 5 3.6-18. Let me tell ya that thing is sweet easy to use and bet you could swing one for around 1200 mark if you keep your eyes out. Happy hunting! 👍

Hi guys. I know there are lots of similar threads and I've read many of them. But spending other people's money is fun, right? I'm looking for a scope to put on my .284 Win Tikka for an elk hunting trip to Colorado this coming season:
View attachment 341714
It will be my first western hunting trip, but I've been deer hunting in MN and WI and shooting PRS style competitions out to 1k so I'm at least a decent if not amazing shot. I want the scope to enable a harvest out to 600 yds.

I'm set on:
- 3-18ish mag range
- FFP, mil
- not super heavy. I'd live with up to 32 oz, but would prefer <28 oz (1.75 lbs)
- $1k or less preferred, but I could swing up to $1250 (and can get a Tenmile or LHT for that due to a friend with dealer pricing)
- Will retain a zero well. Forgot this initially as I feel like it should go without saying, but given recent contentious forum posts on the LHT, maybe not? I've read all of that and not sure what to make of it.

I tried to include every decent scope I could find that meets that criteria on the list, but doesn't include an OG LRHS/LRTS as they're so hard to find (esp the 3-12). No, the PST doesn't have locking turrets but wanted it there for reference.

View attachment 341715

I've used the LRHS, LRHSi, and LRTSi in both 3-12 and 4.5-18 and they've all been excellent at retaining zero, tracking precisely, and returning to zero. As a bonus, they have really nice glass too. I highly recommend them. Of the bunch, I prefer the LRTSi. I'm not a fan of donut reticles in long range hunting applications but the LRTS and LRTSi don't have the donut. The subtensions on the illuminated reticle are a little thicker than the non-illuminated, and even though you don't need to turn on the illum, it is very well done, with the brightest setting being barely visible in bright daylight and the lowest setting being barely visible in near darkness.

If you can find one, a used LRTSi would be the pick of the litter. If you can't, then I would concede the donut and go with the LRHS2.

John

I'm confused about this, what Bushnell calls the RevLimiter is on the LRHS and sounds like a zero stop. What is it you're saying the LRHS doesn't have? The LRHS is my top choice now, trying to see if there are any deal breakers.

Edit: if you mean no turret lock, yeah that's a bummer but not a deal breaker. Shouldn't have put it on my requirements list in hindsight.
The original LRHS and LRHSi have a zero stop but non-locking elevation turret. They have a low profile capped windage turret.

The LRTS and LRTSi have a non-locking elevation turret with zero stop and a locking windage turret.

The LRHS2 has the same turrets as the LRTS and LRTSi.

John

Meopta all the way. Just purchased one of these and its awesome. Watched many reviews online. A lot of scope for the money.

I have been eyeing up an optika 6, 3-18 mrad reticle since they came out. I've had great experiences with Meopta's through the years, but mainly I like the doughnut reticles, especially on something that goes down to 3X. I also like that they only light the center.

Only thing holding me back is that they are kind of an unknown quantity as far as reliability and ruggedness. I see clny has a good sale going. Might be worth a shot for sub $800.

I have been eyeing up an optika 6, 3-18 mrad reticle since they came out. I've had great experiences with Meopta's through the years, but mainly I like the doughnut reticles, especially on something that goes down to 3X. I also like that they only light the center.

Only thing holding me back is that they are kind of an unknown quantity as far as reliability and ruggedness. I see clny has a good sale going. Might be worth a shot for sub $800.
$649 at B&H

View attachment 341714

I'm set on:
- 3-18ish mag range
- FFP, mil

View attachment 341715

Have you looked at or heard of Arken Scopes? They seem to have a nice product at a very affordable price.