FFP scope for an elk rifle

I own several different ok scopes and 1 badass scope. The MK5 HD 3.6-18 is insane. I felt I could never justify the cost. Got lucky on a rifle package that had it on it. After taking the scope off and putting it on another rifle I have decided I don't own a rifle that justifies the excellence of the MK5, so I'm now building a T3x in 284 for a new long range rig.

Hands down amazing glass. I promise you that you will not be disappointed with spending the extra. If you are I'll buy your MK5 if you don't like it !!!!!

Hi guys. I know there are lots of similar threads and I've read many of them. But spending other people's money is fun, right? I'm looking for a scope to put on my .284 Win Tikka for an elk hunting trip to Colorado this coming season:
View attachment 341714
It will be my first western hunting trip, but I've been deer hunting in MN and WI and shooting PRS style competitions out to 1k so I'm at least a decent if not amazing shot. I want the scope to enable a harvest out to 600 yds.

I'm set on:
- 3-18ish mag range
- FFP, mil
- locking elevation turret
- not super heavy. I'd live with up to 32 oz, but would prefer <28 oz (1.75 lbs)
- $1k or less preferred, but I could swing up to $1250 (and can get a Tenmile or LHT for that due to a friend with dealer pricing)
- Will retain a zero well. Forgot this initially as I feel like it should go without saying, but given recent contentious forum posts on the LHT, maybe not? I've read all of that and not sure what to make of it.

I tried to include every decent scope I could find that meets that criteria on the list, but doesn't include an OG LRHS/LRTS as they're so hard to find (esp the 3-12). No, the PST doesn't have locking turrets but wanted it there for reference.

View attachment 341715

What have I missed, and of that what would you all recommend? Thanks.
I would love to know more about your rifle. I want to build the same setup. I'm putting together what I need to build "my" ultimate long range rig.

I've been linearly interpolating between min and max FOV to get FOV at 5x and 12x to make an apples to apples comparison, I think that works but I'm not positive.
No, FOV is not necessarily linear. Look up "scope tunneling". If any of your choices do that, your interpolated numbers will be skewed. It looks like you've already made your decision (and picked good scope) but just so you know going forward or anyone else looking at your graph.

No, FOV is not necessarily linear. Look up "scope tunneling". If any of your choices do that, your interpolated numbers will be skewed. It looks like you've already made your decision (and picked good scope) but just so you know going forward or anyone else looking at your graph.
Sure, hadn't considered that scope companies would be owning tunneling in their official numbers but I guess so. If that's the case then that would carry through the interpolation and overly penalize the FOV at mid-range mags for any scope with tunneling at high mag.

Last edited:
I would love to know more about your rifle. I want to build the same setup. I'm putting together what I need to build "my" ultimate long range rig.
Thanks. It's a 24" X-Caliber CFW barrel, haven't shot it yet so not much to say other than it's the small-medium contour and 2 lb 11 oz. I had to grind out the factory stock barrel channel quite a bit to get it to fit. I think it's SAAMI spec but it's got generous room for heavy bullets, see here.

It's got the Mountain Tactical Tikka Arca rail on it, which I really like. They don't advertise it at all (for copyright reasons most likely) but it's completely compatible with the Area 419 Arca Lock but isn't sharp like their rail, and locks up hella snug on my Atlas bipod with their clamp, or my tripod mounts. I also use it on my PRS rifle chassis.

I also bought the Lumey's CF/Ti bolt knob, not shown in the pictures but the point of a mountain rifle is to get as much CF as possible on it, right? Saved me all of 0.51 oz lol.

Last edited:
Have you weighed a Nightforce? My SFP 8-32×56 NXS, sporting only a 30mm tube is the HEAVIEST scope I own!!! I own old school USA Burris with steel tubes.... they are a little heavier than my comparable old school Leupolds, and even a new age Burris XTR2. Lighter stocks, carbon fiber wrapped barrels, bipods and even SLINGS are manufactured with lighter materials. A little weight helps with felt recoil. My Meopta spotter is heavy and built like a tank.... it's sharp, clear.... really very, very nice. You might look at the Excellent FFP Nightforce NX8... a little less heavy and more expensive than comparably powered NXS, but at least 2-1/2 times as expensive as the Optika6. I'd probably opt for my old school SFP Burris Signature 4-16×50 or Leupold Vari-X III 4-14×50 on my 300RUM for LR Elk. But what the heck, I'd probably grab my 338WM Model 70 Classic Stainless factory BOSS with old school USA Burris Fullfield 4.5-10×30 Posilock, spank an Elk at 500yds with a 250gr Barnes-X @2700fps(bore) and not even think twice about it. Well.... maybe I'd be just confident in my equipment, load and practiced skillsets. I believe frequent practice with good equipment, trumps 5k or 6k uber-costly hunting setups. I have very good equipment, but it's not the most expensive. I don't carry SWARO Binos, I've got a 20yr old 10× Leupold Gold Ring compact... although it's not so compact... sturdy but good. The hardest lesson I learned was to get good glass.... FIRST!!! I almost ruined hunts when I went cheap. So 30 years ago, I went Burris and Leupold. Good optics, although all my spotters sucked until I got my Meopta.

I have a Sig tango4 4-16 on my Tikka, no locking elevation but really clear glass for being less than half the price if some of the other options.
Zero stop
Mil/mil turrets/reticle
Built like a tank.
Holds zero really well and tracks very very precise.
Weight is like 19-20oz.
That's a better scope than it gets credit for…I agree it's very clear

Hi guys. I know there are lots of similar threads and I've read many of them. But spending other people's money is fun, right? I'm looking for a scope to put on my .284 Win Tikka for an elk hunting trip to Colorado this coming season:
View attachment 341714
It will be my first western hunting trip, but I've been deer hunting in MN and WI and shooting PRS style competitions out to 1k so I'm at least a decent if not amazing shot. I want the scope to enable a harvest out to 600 yds.

I'm set on:
- 3-18ish mag range
- FFP, mil
- locking elevation turret
- not super heavy. I'd live with up to 32 oz, but would prefer <28 oz (1.75 lbs)
- $1k or less preferred, but I could swing up to $1250 (and can get a Tenmile or LHT for that due to a friend with dealer pricing)
- Will retain a zero well. Forgot this initially as I feel like it should go without saying, but given recent contentious forum posts on the LHT, maybe not? I've read all of that and not sure what to make of it.

I tried to include every decent scope I could find that meets that criteria on the list, but doesn't include an OG LRHS/LRTS as they're so hard to find (esp the 3-12). No, the PST doesn't have locking turrets but wanted it there for reference.

View attachment 341715

What have I missed, and of that what would you all recommend? Thanks.
What I got for a Christmas present is a Vortex Strike Eagle FFP, 5x25 x56, will go on my 375 Ruger. The Mark V Leupold TMR I have and really like, another I like is a Leupold VX-3i LRP 6.5-20x50 Side Focus FFP Impact-60 MOA, I really like the reticle as I can use the reticle and no adjustments up or down for most of my hunting in Colorado. Have fun a lot of good glass now in this price range.

If you haven't already out of all the scopes you have listed the Meopta is hard too beat . If I were you I would read up on all the reviews and compare light transmission dusk and dawn etc . The Meopta Optica 6 scopes have zero stop and zero lock with capped windage and are compared too scopes 2 too 3 times there price . They have European glass and are not made in China , they made some of the Zeiss scopes and have been around for nearly 100 yrs I don't think you can find a better scope for 2 grand. At least check them out
^^^^^^^
This,I have three of them and ordered another from Cameraland.