Favorite caliber for Long range shooting?

It has been a long time since I took a rifle course and when I did I think I used a 308 because that's what I had at the time.

For anything that requires travel I realize the risk of a niche cartridge. My favorite rounds to shoot is 6.5 Addiction. But it is reload only. My hunting rifles are 7RM, and 338 WM. Reason is I can do to a store and get ammo. I've been that guy. Packed for a match, drove the camper 8 hours. Got to the campsite and realized the keys to where the ammo was packed was back at the house. I was planning on using my Addiction so there was no trip to Walmart. Losing $100 on a one day match and converting it to a get away from work and the city I was in at the time is way different than several thousand on a guided hunt or an out of state tag.

If it is for a course I am taking my Sako TRG in 308 win. It has a 27" barrel and will run 168 Amax or 178 SMKs to a grand with no problems. It will also help you hone your fundamentals and ammo is available just about anywhere. Mine likes Hornady or Federal GMM so well I don't even reload for it anymore. I hunt with Hornady Black 168 AMAXs, perfect whitetail medicine to 600 yards out of my 16" gun. You just about can't go wrong with a 308 win for anything inside a 1000 for course work. I have made a cold bore shot with my Sako at 1250 using 178 SMKs. The 6.5 Creedmoor works for the same reasons if I am running factory ammo.

My favorite hand loaded cartridge and rifle is a 6.5x284 Norma. It will do everything my 300 WM will do at half the recoil. It is good to a mile on steel. For anything beyond that and for hunting to a 1000 yards I have a custom 338 RUM AI with a long throat and a 27" barrel. I prefer it to the edge and the LM because it can be built on a Remington action and loaded in a Wyatt's box and you could possibly find factor ammo in a pinch if you had too, though my gun hates factory ammo.

I think if you stick with 308, 6.5 or 338 you will be fine. There are tons of factory and custom rifle options in these calibers and cartridges. 338 is probably a little overkill for most courses. I have never seen one that shot beyond a grand for the actual course. Think 308 win, 6.5 creed, 300 Win Mag in factory options. They will also give you the best barrel life. Nothing fancy just solid choices. A 300 win mag would also serve you well for elk size game to 800 yards, though recoil, cost and fatigue may become a factor on an extended day shooting course.

Last edited:
SO FAR!!! My Weatherby MARK V , in .270 Weatherby Mag with Nosler 150 Grn ABLRs has meet all my LR expectations. Both Hunting Mule Deer and hitting Steel Plates at 1000 and 1100 yards. I'm just now looking at the Browning X Bolt Hells Canyon,. with a 26 inch Bbl. in 7 PRC. I think that caliber , is suitable for steel targets out to 1400 yards , with the correct Bullet and Load. That rifle could be the basis of a long-range target rifle.

Right now, I'm just a "longish range" hunter and really don't do any long range shooting!

But, if I ever do start….it will be with the little 6.5-284 that I bought years ago for that sole purpose! I think that it's still a pretty decent cartridge for LR shooting.

Good Luck with your search! memtb