factory accuracy?

Overall I'm often surprised at how well most factory rifles shoot...no matter what manufacturer I see off the bench most will handle the 1 inch size with no problem and some of the el-cheapo rifles, under $300 are amazingly accurate.. heck most of us spend more than that on muzzle breaks!!

Well i just picked up a brand new remington 700 in 7mm rem mag last night With a 26 inch barrel. So hopefully we will see what this does. Bought a barska 6x24-50 varmint scope to top it off and have to take it back this morning as the windage adjustment knob is screwed up and wiggles and spins freely.

And im picking a different scope. The barska basically ran out of elevation bore sighting it....

I'm not a fan of Barska scopes. Nor Millet. The cheapest scope I can reccomend is a fixed power SWFA SS. 16 power or less. The 20 is a little hazy.

Well i just picked up a brand new remington 700 in 7mm rem mag last night With a 26 inch barrel. So hopefully we will see what this does. Bought a barska 6x24-50 varmint scope to top it off and have to take it back this morning as the windage adjustment knob is screwed up and wiggles and spins freely.

And im picking a different scope. The barska basically ran out of elevation bore sighting it....
What is your scope budget? I highly recommend Vortex optics for the money. They are great scopes and you really get what you pay for.

Do to a unforseen obstacle my budget got chopped i had 1000 for weapon and 750 for glass now only a 300ish budget for glass

Do to a unforseen obstacle my budget got chopped i had 1000 for weapon and 750 for glass now only a 300ish budget for glass
If you can up it by about $79.....This would make an excellent scope.

Vortex Viper Rifle Scope 3.5-10x 50mm Dead-Hold BDC Reticle Matte

Or this one...

Vortex Viper Rifle Scope 4-12x 40mm Dead-Hold BDC Reticle Matte

This would be the best option, but it's a bit outside your budget... Especially if you got the Dead-Hold BDC reticle option.

Vortex Viper HS Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 4-16x 44mm Side Focus Matte

Agree with all on the Vortex. Last week I put 3-9x40mm Vortex Diamondback on my 7mm Browning a-bolt. Just shot it yesterday and it works great. Had the a-bolt holding 3/4 to 1 MOA all the way out to 300 yards. (and that's saying a lot for this old a-bolt). The glass is good for the money and the scope is very functional and light.

I also use Vortex PST scopes too. You just cannot go wrong with Vortex.

The Diamondback is about $190.00

I have not owned many rifles but I have owned at least one of all these. As others stated it can be hit or miss with any of them but out of the box consistency for accuracy has to go to Savage. My brownings have been accurate. Remingtons actually tend to be the least out of box accuracy in my opinion which is what lots of people say and actually is how I have experienced although I have only owned 1 remington 700 and it still shoots decent. BUT there is a trade off here....lots of after market support and every gunsmith will work on a remington and remingtons have great actions to do some custom work on. I think remington factory barrels are their downfall. My browning shot the best with factory and handloads, followed by savage.

I have not owned many rifles but I have owned at least one of all these. As others stated it can be hit or miss with any of them but out of the box consistency for accuracy has to go to Savage. My brownings have been accurate. Remingtons actually tend to be the least out of box accuracy in my opinion which is what lots of people say and actually is how I have experienced although I have only owned 1 remington 700 and it still shoots decent. BUT there is a trade off here....lots of after market support and every gunsmith will work on a remington and remingtons have great actions to do some custom work on. I think remington factory barrels are their downfall. My browning shot the best with factory and handloads, followed by savage.
If you have your gunsmith true up the action and headspacing, and clean up the chamber. And have him hand-lap the bore on your factory barrel, you will have a much better chance of accuracy than if you shot it right out of the box, for only about $150-200 worth of work.

And if that barrel doesn't shoot, then you have already done steps 1-3 (true action, bed action, float barrel) towards a custom build, and all that's left is to thread and chamber a blank.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.