Caliber accuracy in a factory rifle - does it matter?

Benman73

My wife and I are planning on getting two rifles to shoot longer ranges with at our local range (200, 300, and 500 yards), and possibly trying our hand at F-class. It is not in our budget to drop the money on custom setups, so we will most likely be purchasing factory rifles. If we decide later that we want to shoot more competitively, we would of course begin the process of upgrading components. So accepting that a good factory rifle will (at best) probably shoot around 1 MOA consistently with proper load development, does it matter which cartridge we choose? For instance, would a factory Savage chambered in a 6BR Norma be substantially more accurate than say a 243 or 260? Or do you really need to have a custom barrel, trued action, and other rifle work done like full length bedding, to realize the full accuracy potential of something like the 6BR over a more "standard" cartridge?

Any feedback is much appreciated!

A factory savage in 6br will shoot rings around any factory 243 or 260 99 times out of 200.
Check ww.savageshooters.com for used and deals on new ones.

Savage has a FTR team using their guns and they win more than their share.

Very smart choice.

Benman73

I think you are underestimating what a "good factory rifle" can do today. The target below was shot with a buddies Savage LRP in 260 Rem. This is a total stock rifle with no modifications. I have the same rifle. The group in the picture is for 5 shots and measures 0.375" and was shot at 200 yards with 108 grain Lapua Scenar bullets. The numbers on the target are velocities of each shot. I've never duplicated this accuracy with my rifle because I can't shoot that good - but the rifle can. Another nice feature of this rifle is that you can shoot it without waiting for cooling and it only gets warm. This is a heavy rifle so recoil is pretty much zilch making it fun to shoot for one and all.

Attachments

• savage LRP 260 Rem.jpg
    savage LRP 260 Rem.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 91
Check out the Savage M12. For F-Class there are two options, Open and T/R. T/R is restricted to the 308 Win or 223 Rem shot off a bipod with rear rest. Open is not as restricted to cartridge selection with mechanical rest allowed. The M12 Long Range Precision either in 260 Rem or 6.5 CM is a good choice for target and hunting. The M12 F-T/R in 308 is capable of taking an F-Class local match or two as is without having to invest in a custom. Both rifles are capable of upgrades.

Some calibers are inherently more accurate than others, which is the reason a lot of competive shooters choose the calibers mentioned.

As mentioned, the Savage will provide you with a GREATER chance of getting lucky where you can have a 'stock" rifle that will shoot to your expectations...need good glass and loads (hand loads) though.

I just recently purchased a Savage Max 1 Predetator in 6.5 Creedmoor and am very satisfied with accuracy. It has produced 5/16 inch groups at 100 yards with handloads and 5/8 inch groups with factory Hornady ammo.

Now with all of this being said, you will probably end up with a custom at some point so why not just spend the money up front.

Good luck and happy shooting.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.