Erik Cortina is going to do the Backfire challenge

I visit and shoot in Hurricane which is in Jim's backyard about two times a week, take the nieces and nephews out shooting. There is alot of people shooting there out in the desert. I shoot a long range competition in Manti it's also a private range which I belong too. We have 2 lanes of targets out to 1,000. We shoot during competition 300-1000 yrds about 80 rounds and often there will be a person or two who will have 100 Percent impacts, the best I've ever done is only 2 misses. Long story short I believe a few people on a given day could have 100 out of 100 impacts not often though. I also think there's quite a few of us that could have a hundred percent kill shots at 300 to 600 yards. As far myself during a hunt I am picky about my shots not necessarily the distance.
What are the sizes of the targets? I hit my gong today at 910 but it was 3/4 MOA high and 3/4 MOA right. Not good enough.

So here is a Long Range Hunting test for all the LRH wannabees.
3 shots at a vital sized target or lifesize elk, or mule deer/sheep even better as fast as you can work the action
Max time for 3 shots is 10 secs (timer starts at the report of the 1st shot) and that is generous (as that is likely far more than you'd have in a real live hunting situation)
6.5 minimum caliber/140gr min weight /3000FPS min (yes, intentionally ruling out needmores and the like as they should not be used on big game over 400-500yds imho)
Results - 1 vital hit of 3 is a fail, 2 vitals hits congrats, but you should practice more and 3 vital hits, well, you are a star and no one should ever give you crap about your shooting skill or your long range hunting.

With all this said, I personally will Never take a shot at any animal greater than 600 and have thus far only taken 4 over 400 (410 antelope, 446 mule deer and 427 elk) and an elk at 505 (all 3 were drt, but that is with 340 Bee, no 6.5 and I love 264 WinMags) and I have killed well north of a hundred big game animals. Before anyone yells and says well that is not LRH, this is JOMO and I respect the game too much to shoot more than 600, as at that distance and greater, far too much can happen with any animal in the bullet's flight time and mother nature always has a say at any distance. I know several guys that can kill steel and paper at 600 to 1600 all day, Some shoot game further than 600, some do not, but I've heard even EC has said before that he does not take hunting shots >600 so at least I am in good company.

What are the sizes of the targets? I hit my gong today at 910 but it was 3/4 MOA high and 3/4 MOA right. Not good enough.
A round MOA target at each distance and a 15" by 22" IPSIC target at each target as well.

3 shots at a vital sized target or lifesize elk, or mule deer/sheep even better as fast as you can work the action
Max time for 3 shots is 10 secs (timer starts at the report of the 1st shot) and that is generous (as that is likely far more than you'd have in a real live hunting situation)
6.5 minimum caliber/140gr min weight /3000FPS min (yes, intentionally ruling out needmores and the like as they should not be used on big game over 400-500yds imho)
Results - 1 vital hit of 3 is a fail, 2 vitals hits congrats, but you should practice more and 3 vital hits, well, you are a star and no one should ever give you crap about your shooting skill or your long range hunting.

With all this said, I personally will Never take a shot at any animal greater than 600 and have thus far only taken 4 over 400 (410 antelope, 446 mule deer and 427 elk) and an elk at 505 (all 3 were drt, but that is with 340 Bee, no 6.5 and I love 264 WinMags) and I have killed well north of a hundred big game animals. Before anyone yells and says well that is not LRH, this is JOMO and I respect the game too much to shoot more than 600, as at that distance and greater, far too much can happen with any animal in the bullet's flight time and mother nature always has a say at any distance. I know several guys that can kill steel and paper at 600 to 1600 all day, Some shoot game further than 600, some do not, but I've heard even EC has said before that he does not take hunting shots >600 so at least I am in good company.
The problem with long range shots at game is that you likely only get one shot. All shooting competitions, be they PRS, F Class, or even three position give you tons of feedback on the wind. Eric Cortina's 500 yard blackjack competition starts with the largest target - most people hit it, and the lucky ones, who get to shoot first, see their impact - instant wind feedback. And a range? Forget it - you have wind flags.

The best practice is one shot a day at various ranges and various wind conditions in various locations. In CO I get the first two, but I am too lazy to load my gongs and drive to a different location. I have said it many times before, but it is far easier to hit a target the size of a deer's vitals in the Arizona desert than the mountains of CO.

I do agree with you about 600 yards - I practice daily at 760 (only when the wind is blowing) and 910 (rarely if my wind hold is greater than 3 MOA). At 600, the wind, even a strong one, is manageable. At 910? Very difficult to hit within 5" 90% of the time if the wind is blowing. And the problem at that range, in CO at least, is what may look to be a zero wind condition might be 2-3 mph as your bullet crosses the chasm to the target.

There was a contentious discussion about accuracy on another thread (the one about hit percentage not being driven by rifle accuracy). In my experience, a very accurate rifle starts to make a difference past 600 yards. JMO; YMMV.

How about 1 shot and 10 seconds to do it. Into the vital area of whatever you hunt. As far as 140gr and 3000fps, well that's irrelevant without knowing the bullets type, it's minimum effective velocity and BC.