Guide shoots to 600 yds after watching backfire.

Lower right was fowler, 20 shots about as fast as I could reload, with max handloads from my factory Tikka. The barrel was absolutely sizzling.

What direction do they typically walk?
Come down 3/4 and right 1/2 šŸ˜œ

But seriously, I have only anecdotal evidence from 2 rifles, a 6.5CM and a .300WM.
Didn't notice a direction but the groups roughly doubled in size, from 1/2MOA - ish to bigger than 1MOA, causing misses on the smallish 1150 yd targets we
we're shooting at. Let them cool for 10 or 15 min and were hitting again.

Reticle ranging is not accurate. The formulas have error built into it the further you go. Accuracy also is dependent on your ability to be within .1 of a mil, in reading and your target be measured exactly.
We don't even use this for military application anymore. It's considered a legacy skill.
dfanonymous:
And the legacy continues! šŸ˜‚
Range estimation using the mil-relation formula is still taught and tested on the conventional Army side. I agree that it's not the best method, especially on such small objects as milk jugs. Now I'm not saying Big Green is right, I'm just saying that's what is happening.
I agree with your comment about people not knowing where their laser falls within their aiming reticle in a range finder. I'll use a power line or distant pole (with clear unobstructed background) to test L-R/U-D. Even see variances in issued LRF's.

General statement:
The first video showed what I see in most hunters/shooters, too much pride in their shooting abilities (or lack their of). He clearly doesn't know what he's doing.
I will not defend that guy in any shape, form, or fashion as he just showed up to show his a@@. However I will say this to those that say "you shouldn't shoot at animals past whatever range you can't hit moa (or whatever) targets 100% of the time"; how many of you have pulled a shot when shooting a groupā€¦at 100 yardsā€¦from a rock solid positionā€¦under ideal conditionsā€¦? We are all capable of "going full retarb" (šŸ˜‚), some of us just hang out there more than others.

For those of us that are casual/occasional LR shooters, this video was a great watch. For those that are the true LRH enthusiasts or at least think they are, this video should should give you some pause when proclaiming you can hit 90-100% of shots at milk jugs at 600 yards in the field with a hunting rifle. Realistically this video was better at testing your ability to hit at varying distances.

We didn't go quite that strong. We require three shots in a 3" bullseye at 100 yards. Of course, once the kids start shooting and enjoy it they do better. Minimum rifle we'll allow is 243 Win.
We DIDN'T want him to, RUIN his "beginning",.. Hunting years, "Experiences", with,.. a Crippled,. Deer !
The .243 Win is Plenty with, the RIGHT Bullet, WELL placed and at, "reasonable", Ranges.
He's using an, 87 grain Berger, H-VLD at, 3,150 FPS and, his first TWO, Big bodied, desert Mule Deer,.. were, DRT !
His Heavy horned, 4 x 5, was slightly over,.. 30 inches Wide,.. shot at, 268 yards !
We're "stepping him Up" to, my ole', .270 WSM Tikka with, 140's at, 3,175 FPS for, Elk as it has been, "Braked", so that, he can,"Handle" IT, now.
There's NOTHING Like, a Wounded Gut shot, Animal, to RUIN, a Kid's Hunting Future, OR,.. too MUCH,.. Recoil !
@ CCAguns,.. 3 Shots into, 3" at, 100 yds, is about, Equal to hitting, a 10" Plate at,.. 325 yds !
Desert Muley's, are "usually" NOT shot at, real close Ranges,.. Here.

Last edited:
dfanonymous:
And the legacy continues! šŸ˜‚
Range estimation using the mil-relation formula is still taught and tested on the conventional Army side. I agree that it's not the best method, especially on such small objects as milk jugs. Now I'm not saying Big Green is right, I'm just saying that's what is happening.
I agree with your comment about people not knowing where their laser falls within their aiming reticle in a range finder. I'll use a power line or distant pole (with clear unobstructed background) to test L-R/U-D. Even see variances in issued LRF's.

General statement:
The first video showed what I see in most hunters/shooters, too much pride in their shooting abilities (or lack their of). He clearly doesn't know what he's doing.
I will not defend that guy in any shape, form, or fashion as he just showed up to show his a@@. However I will say this to those that say "you shouldn't shoot at animals past whatever range you can't hit moa (or whatever) targets 100% of the time"; how many of you have pulled a shot when shooting a groupā€¦at 100 yardsā€¦from a rock solid positionā€¦under ideal conditionsā€¦? We are all capable of "going full retarb" (šŸ˜‚), some of us just hang out there more than others.
Sorry, in my head I was thinking MASC block 1/block 2. At least the Army still pushes out snipers to their infantry's. That said, I'm sure it's still taught, just not used in the field. At least me and mine haven't sinceā€¦06?

Knowledge is power and stuff, but It's an extreme back up plan type skill to have. I use to run around Iraq with a little notebook on common sizes of things like a Toyota hilux and what not. Nowadays, snapā€¦ and that's it.

Last edited:
Sorry, in my head I was thinking MASC block 1/block 2. At least the Army still pushes out snipers to their infantry's. That said, I'm sure it's still taught, just not used in the field. At least me and mine haven't sinceā€¦06?

Knowledge is power and stuff, but It's a dumb skill to have. I use to run around Iraq with a little notebook on common sizes of things like a Toyota hilux and what not. Nowadays, snapā€¦ and that's it.
The other issue with reticles is time, both to get steady and to bracket the target. And animals don't come in one size; an animal that you think measures 15" but is actually 14" or 16" results in a 33 yard error at 500.

My question is, as you were missing to the right with a hot barrel, after it cooled did you adjust to the left or hold the same? Was it the hot barrel or did the rifle need adjustment to the left at those distances?
I didn't read this entire thread so maybe I missed it, but in the first part of the video you could see the grass blowing in the wind and the dust when a target was missed. After he quit shooting and then started filming again you can no longer hear the wind blowing in the background and the grass and dust are not moving. In the first half of the video most misses were to the right while the dust from the miss blew to the right. Most likely the better performance in the latter part of the video was due to the lack of wind. And the missing in the beginning of the video due to a bad wind call or cross winds between shooter and target. Just my 2 cents

So, just my rudimentary search yields a rifle weight at 9lbs depending on what's the sling and shell holder weighs, 6.6lbs for the rifle, 24oz for the scope, 3.2oz for the rings(heaviest listed for the T3X 30mm highs)

When he missed, he didn't miss by much, but he still called it like he saw it.

I commend him, FTR, I couldn't do it.

How much of that could be attributed to the factory ammunition? Would a single box of 20rds have a big enough velocity swing to create a miss?

There's just not a place for me to practice like that, really wish there was.

You can't even shoot milk jugs in AZ to to *** holes leaving target trash on public ground, the new law makes no difference as it was illegal to leave trash/targets before the new law. It is a shame as water filled anything is a great cheap reactive target.