Erik Cortina is going to do the Backfire challenge

Who is anyone to say what IS or IS NOT a hunting rifle.
I'll say what I said in the last post regarding this challenge.
I'd be willing to bet my LIGHTEST rifle is 14lbs and my heaviest is around 22 lbs.

I hunt with them all, by definition, that makes them all hunting rifles.

A hunting challenge where you artificially limit equipment is just as stupid as limiting weight. I have a bipod, tripod and pack on 100% of my hunting trips. If you need to get off the ground in order to see the shot...it's very easy to deploy the bipod, and use the tripod for a rear rest and/or the bag for support.
Hell. Take an MDT Triple pull, with your tripod and you can essentially take prone shots standing up.
If I am not mistaken, some states have a limit on what your rifle can weigh to hunt

I'm just waiting on the new drone laws to settle and then will be purchasing a drone to fly out targets at random distances and biodegradable balloons is the best I've came up with yet. Where I live (
Western Washington) very difficult to place targets out at decent distances due to heavy brush and steep ground etc. and targets at range become pretty boring after you shoot at the same spot all the time.
Balloons may say they are biodegradable, but they really are not. We need less trash generated by shooting.

Geniuses or not I love this trend. I live a few hours from the Backfire guys and every mothers son here in Utah thinks they're all set at 700 without any practice. I think it took a rare level of humility (for Utah) to say "we ought to be honest about our abilities, and I am rethinking my personal limits." Not the ethics of hunting far away, but our honesty about our part of the bargain. I literally know guys who never practice and say they're willing to take 800 yard pokes anytime because their gun is "good to 1000+". Meanwhile I have to be extremely attentive about where all the roads are no matter what I'm doing because they line up like toy soldiers on the canyon roads and they WILL fire over someone at a 3 point on a different mountain and expect to stone it. Maybe it's marketing but man, I'm not mad about it, I think a lot of other marketing allows some of us to lie to ourselves easier.
I visit and shoot in Hurricane which is in Jim's backyard about two times a week, take the nieces and nephews out shooting. There is alot of people shooting there out in the desert. I shoot a long range competition in Manti it's also a private range which I belong too. We have 2 lanes of targets out to 1,000. We shoot during competition 300-1000 yrds about 80 rounds and often there will be a person or two who will have 100 Percent impacts, the best I've ever done is only 2 misses. Long story short I believe a few people on a given day could have 100 out of 100 impacts not often though. I also think there's quite a few of us that could have a hundred percent kill shots at 300 to 600 yards. As far myself during a hunt I am picky about my shots not necessarily the distance.

I killed a lot of elk in Mt. with a 20 pound 338 edge. Funny thing is I never had a prone shot. They were all off a knee or a bipod on a jacket over a sage brush. Weight is good in every way other than packing. Some guys are willing to pack it others are not. Doesnt mean its not huntable.

I visit and shoot in Hurricane which is in Jim's backyard about two times a week, take the nieces and nephews out shooting. There is alot of people shooting there out in the desert. I shoot a long range competition in Manti it's also a private range which I belong too. We have 2 lanes of targets out to 1,000. We shoot during competition 300-1000 yrds about 80 rounds and often there will be a person or two who will have 100 Percent impacts, the best I've ever done is only 2 misses. Long story short I believe a few people on a given day could have 100 out of 100 impacts not often though. I also think there's quite a few of us that could have a hundred percent kill shots at 300 to 600 yards. As far myself during a hunt I am picky about my shots not necessarily the distance.
Of course, there are definitely some, but I'm quite sure it's a minority of those who think they can. You're describing practice, most people don't, they just think they're naturally gifted because they are told so, just like the grown adults we see on I 15 getting nowhere but telling themselves they're so graceful, so coordinated, while they weave around making others brake. They get a few groups off a bench at 100y a year and download an app. There's a lot of people out there with 2 moa setups they say are .5 because of one group, plugging in unverified MV from somewhere and hitting the woods. The same goes for bowhunters around here. Of course there are people who have a high level of skill, we do after all have unlimited places to practice, but you and I both know people who are dishonest about it.

Me and my wife are thinking of moving down there to sanpete, it's on our list, we got stuck in Davis way too long for two people raised in the woods. Not that we want to contribute to building up the rural areas but it's a matter of survival and sanity at this point.

Last edited:
If I am not mistaken, some states have a limit on what your rifle can weigh to hunt
I really doubt that. It would serve no purpose.
From what I've seen...it's a SINGLE STATE, but as I've said...you're artificially tailoring the "challenge" to the requirements of one specific state.
Why? For what purpose?
It would be no different than forcing the challenger to use a strait wall cartridge like the 350 Legend since thats a requirement for Ohio.

Makes no sense to do that either.