EOL Scouting elk with airplanes?! SMH...

Status
Not open for further replies.
ELKEATER....if you want to ---- and moan about lack of pay....get your *** of my payroll and start your own private company....you would then get to pay for all those government employees and be able to get to also know that any dollar amount that you pay as a private company never truly comes back to you....but as a government employee you always get your taxes back..thats if you pay them in the first place...and i bet you get medical, dental and vision for the entire family.....and i bet you probably got a government loan to buy a house.......
And a job that's would now take more than an act of Congress to get fired from(Hillary files)........enjoy your retirement.....

:rolleyes:

I wouldn't do it to find one to hunt. I wouldn't mind doing it months ahead of time to get a look at country that I haven't been in before. I guess it would be just a bit better look than Google earth.

People hire guides all the time to find animals for themselves....should they have any right to hunt..didnt do any scouting for themselves...whose to say how the guide actually scouted his area...several of them fly...and several are now chasing elk from national Forest onto private ranches and leaving guards to keep the elk from leaving the ranch.......so now we want to ****y about looking for an elk....ridiculous.........
When we flew..we didn't fly any of the area that we actually hunted...our reconnaissance was to see how may elk were on three or four major ranches of which two were guide hunted and two did not have hunting...and usually the elk are standing in their alfalfa patches all season..then chased out after regular rifle season and then shot and thrown into ditches when they come back to feed....

It doesn't bother me, at least he doesn't pretend like everyone else. Its a sure sight better for the game to just find a couple then work on taking just that one vs driving a Razor around pushing every elk out of the country like 95% of what you see in Mt hunting season.
You don't see anyone loosing it over every Alaskan hunt that is on and a good share of those they have to make it clear they have to wait to go after something they saw on the flight in.
You can bet your bottom dollar if I could afford to fly often I'd be all over more wolves!!

People hire guides all the time to find animals for themselves....should they have any right to hunt..didnt do any scouting for themselves...whose to say how the guide actually scouted his area...several of them fly...and several are now chasing elk from national Forest onto private ranches and leaving guards to keep the elk from leaving the ranch.......so now we want to ****y about looking for an elk....ridiculous.........
When we flew..we didn't fly any of the area that we actually hunted...our reconnaissance was to see how may elk were on three or four major ranches of which two were guide hunted and two did not have hunting...and usually the elk are standing in their alfalfa patches all season..then chased out after regular rifle season and then shot and thrown into ditches when they come back to feed....
I would just say this - I don't have a problem with professional guides unless they are scouting elk from planes - then they may as well just raise them on a farm like cattle and charge their clients a ton of money to shoot a trophy. I could be wrong, I have never used a guide, but I am hoping a guide is someone who knows the areas and you are paying him to go do all the hard work and scouting to find the animal for you - just not in a plane. It still seems like cheating.

Having said that I might be open to a chopper helping me pack out the elk once I got it down! Lol J/K

TG-5150....
It sure looks like a way for the state to keep people from seeing all the wolves running amuck......
FIGJAM.....
I also wouldnt mind the helicopter...so far the furthest a downed elk or deer have been off the ground with me is just above the shoulders...when I swing the pack around to harness it......even a pack mule would be better than my old back.... But the ex wouldnt ever let me put the kid on steroids.....

Not everyones goal is to make an epic trilogy out of a hunt, some hunt for horn, some for meat some just for a kill, the meat gets put to good use none of them are any better or worse than any one else, were all just shooting an animal for our purpose in the end, no one actually has any moral high ground!

TG-5150....
It sure looks like a way for the state to keep people from seeing all the wolves running amuck......
FIGJAM.....
I also wouldnt mind the helicopter...so far the furthest a downed elk or deer have been off the ground with me is just above the shoulders...when I swing the pack around to harness it......even a pack mule would be better than my old back.... But the ex wouldnt ever let me put the kid on steroids.....
Haha - yeah, I have packed a few out on my back as well!

Not everyones goal is to make an epic trilogy out of a hunt, some hunt for horn, some for meat some just for a kill, the meat gets put to good use none of them are any better or worse than any one else, were all just shooting an animal for our purpose in the end, no one actually has any moral high ground!

Maybe - I'll have to think about that a little more. For whatever reason the plane thing rubs me the wrong way. Like I said earlier - maybe its one of those "don't knock it til you've tried it" type things.

We talk about respecting animals like elk with the shots we take, the distance we shoot them, the practice we put in, the calibers and guns we shoot, the importance of making a clean kill etc. I guess I am lumping the way we hunt them into that and maybe I shouldn't be...to have some big old bull that has outsmarted hunters for several years get spotted from an airplane and shot the next day seems a little F'd up in my mind.

Spotting from a plane or spotting from the highest point with a big spotter still means you do the same work to seal the deal!
A lot of things rub us the wrong way, sometimes through our lives those things will flip on us too. To me it just means it's not something I would do but that is between me, myself and I.

Maybe - I'll have to think about that a little more. For whatever reason the plane thing rubs me the wrong way. Like I said earlier - maybe its one of those "don't knock it til you've tried it" type things.

We talk about respecting animals like elk with the shots we take, the distance we shoot them, the practice we put in, the calibers and guns we shoot, the importance of making a clean kill etc. I guess I am lumping the way we hunt them into that and maybe I shouldn't be...to have some big old bull that has outsmarted hunters for several years get spotted from an airplane and shot the next day seems a little F'd up in my mind.
I totally agree. Kill them fair and square or don't do it. I wouldn't use aircraft for a packout either. And I've done a couple brutal ones by myself. Somehow, I don't think killing a bull should be easy. mtmuley

Status
Not open for further replies.