EOL Scouting elk with airplanes?! SMH...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rinella is good stuff, good show, good podcast and I have personally witnessed his content get non hunters into the sport. Hell a non hunter friend told me about meateater.

I think part of the problem follows along with the problems in our society today. The focus is always on success. Get in get what ever it is your doing done then brag about it. No one seems to do anything because they just enjoy doing it. The priority should be enjoying the outdoors and the hunt. Success is just a bonus. Granted an enjoyable one but it's not supposed to be like a job.

Dave

yeah scouting with a plane doesn't seem right or fair. but if this is the show/episode i'm remembering, they were dealing with some pretty serious terrain actually finding the bull on the ground and getting to him and getting him out. so seems he still did a buncha real hard work.

but yeah a lot of the shows seem to be private land if not high fence. drive up the hill, walk in a few hundred yards, bam. certainly wasn't that easy for me!

Luckily on my gov salarly I'll probably never be in a position to be tempted by it! Lol

Yup my gov salary ain't paying for that either! On the other hand I don't think I would enjoy flying around looking for critters to hunt. I guess I still see the romance in hiking and glassing from the ground. I've seen plenty of critters from the air on wildfire operations and have gone back to those units to hunt but that is usually separated by months or years.

I don't even watch hunting shows. They just don't seem real. I will watch meateater from time to time but that's about it.

yeah scouting with a plane doesn't seem right or fair. but if this is the show/episode i'm remembering, they were dealing with some pretty serious terrain actually finding the bull on the ground and getting to him and getting him out. so seems he still did a buncha real hard work.

but yeah a lot of the shows seem to be private land if not high fence. drive up the hill, walk in a few hundred yards, bam. certainly wasn't that easy for me!
This one hit youtube a day or two ago. The terrain wasn't that rough - this was part one, essentially shows him flying around in the plane and finding "shooter bulls". I am guessing part two will be where he actually shoots it.

In my neck of the woods err ocean. We have guys hiring planes to go up and look the day before tournaments in the afternoon. Some of these events have 200k+ when all is said and done. The good thing is they need that just to find them. The guys who are actually good at it can still hand them their a**. I'm sure the same is true with the very good hunters vs guys like him. It's a shame a company like Nightforce doesn't step up and cut him off

Yup my gov salary ain't paying for that either! On the other hand I don't think I would enjoy flying around looking for critters to hunt. I guess I still see the romance in hiking and glassing from the ground. I've seen plenty of critters from the air on wildfire operations and have gone back to those units to hunt but that is usually separated by months or years.

I don't even watch hunting shows. They just don't seem real. I will watch meateater from time to time but that's about it.

To me that is what hunting is - battling the terrain and elements and finding the animals - you take the work of finding the game out of it and its no longer hunting - that is just my opinion.

In my neck of the woods err ocean. We have guys hiring planes to go up and look the day before tournaments in the afternoon. Some of these events have 200k+ when all is said and done. The good thing is they need that just to find them. The guys who are actually good at it can still hand them their a**. I'm sure the same is true with the very good hunters vs guys like him. It's a shame a company like Nightforce doesn't step up and cut him off

Agreed!

Steve eats some things that turn my stomach, but he is talented.
One of his shows he cooked bear meat by putting it in the stomach lining and adding the bear fat then inserting hot rocks to cook it.
Not my style but ingenious.

Well if the shoe were on the other foot.......
Myself and a kid from the ranch in the area i had a tag for hired a pilot and did do a precheck on the elk population....knowing most of the elk herd travels in a circular path in the area..we wanted to see if there were any on public lands adjacent to HUGE ranch owners....we didn't see any elk anywhere we could access to hunt.........
We did see three bulls lying up on a rocky ridge right above a non hunting veterinarians house..his property was adjacent to a HUGE pay to hunt ranch and right above one of their alfalfa hay fields.......
Looking for animals from planes is not new...and doesnt have to be expensive...i think we paid $500 for three hours of enjoyment...got to see country that many people never venture into..or cant be accessed by any private citizen without trespassing or being chums to an owner(and this kid with me is a great grandson to the original homesteader..yet we still couldnt get up by those three bulls)....and i did kill a bull that season...four days into the hunt 30 miles away from the three bulls we spotted...and after a State Police airplane spooked from me a giant bull that was only a hundred yards away from me...i was awaiting the spike in front to pass when the cops dive bombed me in an adjacent desert area to a ranch....needless to say I didn't ever see tbat bull again because he ran three hundred yards to the ranchers property and disappeared....about 3 hours later I killed a decent bull 10 miles to the east...because thats where the elk herd was running to, to get on another private ranch......and yes I got back to my truck and drove 10 miles out in front of them...knowing those elk werent sstopping and fhey were going to be on private property the entire time...it was a gamble...they were heading out of my hunt unit...and they did....just one 5 point less in the herd....

Steve Renili's show is a very good tribute to the current hunting situations found all over the areas....Hell..he even got Joe Rogan and a buddy out hunting...and I bet it helped get several of the UFC fighters out as well...but Matt Hughes, Chad Mindes and Tim Silva were on hunting shows long ago....

ELKEATER....if you want to **** and moan about lack of pay....get your *** of my payroll and start your own private company....you would then get to pay for all those government employees and be able to get to also know that any dollar amount that you pay as a private company never truly comes back to you....but as a government employee you always get your taxes back..thats if you pay them in the first place...and i bet you get medical, dental and vision for the entire family.....and i bet you probably got a government loan to buy a house.......
And a job that's would now take more than an act of Congress to get fired from(Hillary files)........enjoy your retirement.....

I believe he's bought the Governors tag the last couple years, and uses planes to find the biggest Bull he can for his TV show. It's a business move, designed to sell more rifles. I can't, and won't, condemn a guy for doing what it takes for his business to succeed. As long as he isn't breaking any laws.

That said, it's not the type of hunting I'd be interested in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts