Hi all,

I have built a new 7mm STW. The build is as follows:

28" lijja medium weight barrel.
1:8 twist.
Custom brake - by my smith.
Accurized Rem 700 action.
MDT ESS chassis
Trigger tec trigger.
Custom chamber to shoot Berger 195 grain EOL bullets.

Brass - Hornady.
215 primers.

I am planning to start developing loads using retumbo, IMR 7977, and IMR 7828.

I need specific start load data for one or all of powders. I know that I will start below any suggestions given. I have contacted IMR, Hodgon, and berger. No load data has been provided.

Any help would be appreciated.

I have a GAP STW that shoots the 195s. 26" Bartlein. I use Nosler Brass,Federal 215s, 75 grains RL 26. 3050 fps. I shot 2 deer with it this year, one @ 510, the other @ 475. I also shot a black bear @ 867. The things a hammer! Shoots under .5 moa all day long. RL 26 rocks!

Hi all,

I have built a new 7mm STW. The build is as follows:

28" lijja medium weight barrel.
1:8 twist.
Custom brake - by my smith.
Accurized Rem 700 action.
MDT ESS chassis
Trigger tec trigger.
Custom chamber to shoot Berger 195 grain EOL bullets.

Brass - Hornady.
215 primers.

I am planning to start developing loads using retumbo, IMR 7977, and IMR 7828.

I need specific start load data for one or all of powders. I know that I will start below any suggestions given. I have contacted IMR, Hodgon, and berger. No load data has been provided.

Any help would be appreciated.
I would wait to hear back from Berger. They would be the most likely to give you load data.

Has anyone tried Rl33 with the STW? Seems that would be a good option in the big case also.

I'm pretty ignorant about some of this stuff. What is the "STW"?
The 7mm STW (Shooting Times Westerner) is a cartridge that was developed by Layne Simpson in the late 1970's as a wildcat, that was quickly standardized, adopted, and chambered in factory rifles by Remington. It has been a long-time proven long range hunting and shooting cartridge.

Necked down 8mm Remington Mag, if I'm not mistaken. Developed by a writer for Shooting Times magazine. Name escapes me, but I believe his last name was Lane.
Yes, it was developed by necking-down the 8mm Rem Mag cartridge to 7mm. Layne Simpson was the editor/writer/contributor for Shooting Times magazine, and has been for decades.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.