Disappointed with the Berger 156 grain EOL

I'd step up to a 338 edge or Lapua!!! Sounds like the bullet performance was perfect.
I think just missed.....No Blood and No Deer..NoExit wouund by that bad *** caliber and speed.
I think ya missed him.Hey It happens to allof us at some point in life.
I hit one with same bullet going about 2853 according to my load development numbers..And.He went down like a truck fell out of the sky on him.It looked like all four legs were yanked out from under him in 4 different directions.
Better Luck Next Time My friend.

If you are really trying to save meat, the scirocco is the only one on your list that isn't destructive to a large degree. Hammers in my limited experience are very hard on meat- even as bad as Bergers. If you want a meat friendly bullet, Barnes TSX, and A-frames are a good start but they don't kill as good as the less friendly ones.
That has a lot more to do with bullet placement than anything.

If you don't shoot into the prime cuts there's going to be minimal loss.

I'm more of a bonded and mono shooter these days but I've been through the gamut of top named/popular bullets and more than anything it always comes down to placement.

Just shot an Oryx with 156 gr 6.5SST at 215 traveling 2970. No slug recovery, wen through and through, second animal the 156 exited... Oryx went about 15 yds. Will keep using the 156's in the 6.5SST, the 130VLD in the 6.5x47 and the 195's in the 28 until they stop killing stuff dead.

oryx-entrance.jpg
oryx-exit.jpg

I shot a buck at 130 yards with my 6.5 PRC using Berger 156 grains EOL. I hit him right behind the shoulder. The buck ran about 50 yards with no blood. There was no exit wound. My Son and Grandsons have shot whitetail and axis with no exit wounds. Kind of disappointed with this bullet. My loads were going about 2860 fps and no exit wounds on that buck I shot. Looking for some advice as to what would be a good bullet to use that would have good exit wounds, thanks in advance
We jave had great results with 130 swift scirocco. I am a broken shoulder exit holes kind of guy. We've killed 56 or 58 critters in 3 years with the 130 swift and only caught 1 bullet so far.

156 berger on Muledeer buck at 250yds with 6.5PRC @ 3,060fps. Buck standing mostly broadside and bullet hit rib on entrance and blew golf ball size chunk of heart out exit hole, leaving massive blood trail.
0D3258AB-4EBA-49F0-A4B0-282D6102A06A.jpeg
F3C32941-FE15-413C-8855-CFD6283A66FD.jpeg

Why did you shoot twice?
That's probably a couple different chunks of the 1 bullet that exited. But i always shoot again if given the chance! And especially,stay on the gun if the animal drops in it's tracks,.dropped critter is the most likely to suddenly recover and run!

Ok, yeah I was just curious. I hit a elk a second time, but if I see a good hit like either of those on a deer I'm not shooting again.

Another 1 shot, no tracking required for me with the 156gr bergers in my 26 nosler. I have them running 3,167 fps and have yet to have an animal take a step. High shoulder shots, middle of the shoulder shots, heart shots - doesn't matter. If you put these in the vitals the deer, hog, coyote, whatever it is goes right down.

Since I made the switch from the 140gr nosler accubond a year ago, I'm 12 for 12 on 1 shot, no tracking kills.

If you are looking for exits, I don't know that bergers are the right bullet for you in a mature buck scenario broadside.

This rifle is the most devastating killer I've ever shot - especially in a 6.5

Recent Posts