EOL Scouting elk with airplanes?! SMH...

Status
Not open for further replies.

FIGJAM

I am watching the most recent episode of Extreme Outer Limits on youtube and Bob Beck is trying to find a moster elk in Oregon. They hop in a plane and locate 4 good bulls, mark them on their map and then go after them - I haven't ever seen anybody do that and it totally rubbed me the wrong way...maybe its because I don't have access to a plane? Lol. Seriously though, at what point are we crossing the line?

Maybe he should get in a little bit better shape and put in the work to go find them the old fashioned way....I seriously can't believe they put that shiz on TV!

Yes. I think I have seen that episode. That's legal here in oregon but you cant hunt for 24 hours I believe after the plane ride. Same with a drone. It sure makes him look lazy on TV that's for sure. But people who have the money can always find a way to justify their actions.

It's not much different than going to a ranch where you pick your bull or buck from a wall of pictures and they drive you out there in their sidexside and you shoot it then head back to the lodge. That's not hunting. Its killing and there is no sport or accomplishment in it.

Beck was busted in 2012 for shooting 2 deer on 1 tag in Idaho. From the article I read sounds like a little "special" treatment. I know some in eastern Oregon dont think much of him.

What is the difference between flying around, Driving around or setting up game cameras ?. To me they all appear to be used for locating game.
A plane gives a hunter an incredible advantage over a trail camera or driving in a truck. A lot of good elk country isn't very accessible by truck - if some dude wants to hike in and set up trail camera or thinks he can scout effectively from a road, more power to him. A birds eye view from a plane seems to take the sportsmanship out of it.

Most hunting shows are pretty lame. There's only a couple I can watch. mtmuley

I agree. There is a couple that are headquartered here in SW MT and I see them from time to time out and about. One guy in particular I just can't understand. He is a decent advocate for sportsman on one hand, but on the other hand he is the first guy to almost give out GPS coordinates to certain hunting areas around the state. I recognize many of the trailheads he films his introductions and stock footage, and a lot of areas that he shows maps of. You don't exactly need to be Sherlock Holmes to figure out the areas he is hunting. I am pretty old school and always thought one of the great things about hunting was finding your own spots to go, whether public or private land. If you saw someone else there, so be it, but I certainly wouldn't advertise where I was going. From my understanding I think he was from out of state and probably moved here because of the opportunities we have, then subsequently started a TV show and an entire website dedicated to exploiting those opportunities. Just not my cup of tea I guess. I don't mind exchanging info with someone in generalities, and I would prefer to keep it to an audience of one.

I do kind of like that Rinella guy though. I have actually used a few of his recipes and they are pretty good. Don't think I could eat a whole roasted coyote however, I saw him do that on one episode and I was amazed and disgusted at the same time.

I agree. There is a couple that are headquartered here in SW MT and I see them from time to time out and about. One guy in particular I just can't understand. He is a decent advocate for sportsman on one hand, but on the other hand he is the first guy to almost give out GPS coordinates to certain hunting areas around the state. I recognize many of the trailheads he films his introductions and stock footage, and a lot of areas that he shows maps of. You don't exactly need to be Sherlock Holmes to figure out the areas he is hunting. I am pretty old school and always thought one of the great things about hunting was finding your own spots to go, whether public or private land. If you saw someone else there, so be it, but I certainly wouldn't advertise where I was going. From my understanding I think he was from out of state and probably moved here because of the opportunities we have, then subsequently started a TV show and an entire website dedicated to exploiting those opportunities. Just not my cup of tea I guess. I don't mind exchanging info with someone in generalities, and I would prefer to keep it to an audience of one.

I do kind of like that Rinella guy though. I have actually used a few of his recipes and they are pretty good. Don't think I could eat a whole roasted coyote however, I saw him do that on one episode and I was amazed and disgusted at the same time.
I think Rinella's Meateater is the best one out there. Seems like a pretty down to earth guy.

This Bob Beck dude though seems like a fraud. Maybe the airplane thing is one of those don't knock it til you try it type things, but it definitely seems like cheating to me. Luckily on my gov salarly I'll probably never be in a position to be tempted by it! Lol

Gov. Salaries can leave something to be desired but I would say you cant beat everything else about. I have watched some of his videos on YouTube and the whole thing seems like a sham. I think he is just the face and not the "genius" behind it.

I think Rinella's Meateater is the best one out there. Seems like a pretty down to earth guy.

This Bob Beck dude though seems like a fraud. Maybe the airplane thing is one of those don't knock it til you try it type things, but it definitely seems like cheating to me. Luckily on my gov salarly I'll probably never be in a position to be tempted by it! Lol

What's on camera and reality often don't match!

Status
Not open for further replies.