Elk Hunting Bullets

I Load the 165 gr sst in 300 win mag for my son. 3 years ago he shot a cow elk at 364 yards double lung. Exit hole was about 2 inches, she went 40 yards. I've been very happy with sst's for inside 500 yards
Because they fragment so easily they're actually a very good choice well beyond 500yds if the double lung shot is your choice. They also have a very good BC so they tend to be very accurate at longer ranges as well.

I shot a bull elk last fall at 100 yds using a 30 Nosler and 205 Elite Hunter. elk went 15 yards on 3 legs and tipped over 5 seconds after being shot.

Hit him in front right shoulder and the hole below is the entrance I to his rib cage after going through the leg/shoulder. I have zero concerns about using this bullet at any distance for elk.
EB88A4EB-9F8A-4F3A-84EE-104A5614D33D.jpeg

I shot a bull elk last fall at 100 yds using a 30 Nosler and 205 Elite Hunter. elk went 15 yards on 3 legs and tipped over 5 seconds after being shot.

Hit him in front right shoulder and the hole below is the entrance I to his rib cage after going through the leg/shoulder. I have zero concerns about using this bullet at any distance for elk. View attachment 341459
Well, he's certainly dead.

Much more meat loss than I like to see but compared to losing a whole animal it's pretty minimal.

Hit him in front right shoulder and the hole below is the entrance I to his rib cage after going through the leg/shoulder. I have zero concerns about using this bullet at any distance for elk. View attachment 341459
Oh HELLYEAH!

Well, he's certainly dead.

Much more meat loss than I like to see but compared to losing a whole animal it's pretty minimal.
There certainly is more meat loss but I feel it makes up for it in a quick kill and minimal chance of a lost animal. I haven't elk hunted a ton but I have heard plenty of stories about how tough they can be and how far they can go. But my point was more around Berger's being too explosive up close. Some are…I would never take that shot with a 168 Berger. But I will take that shot on a whitetail all day with a 168 VLD out of a 280 Ackley.

But what I am ultimately getting at is that bullets take a lot flack for failing to work, blowing up, penciling, etc. But I think an overwhelming majority of the time, if people use the bullets as intended and make a good shot then the animal should go down fairly quickly.

There certainly is more meat loss but I feel it makes up for it in a quick kill and minimal chance of a lost animal. I haven't elk hunted a ton but I have heard plenty of stories about how tough they can be and how far they can go. But my point was more around Berger's being too explosive up close. Some are…I would never take that shot with a 168 Berger. But I will take that shot on a whitetail all day with a 168 VLD out of a 280 Ackley.

But what I am ultimately getting at is that bullets take a lot flack for failing to work, blowing up, penciling, etc. But I think an overwhelming majority of the time, if people use the bullets as intended and make a good shot then the animal should go down fairly quickly.
There's the big "IF". I frequently talk about matching placement to the expected performance of the bullet.

For that shoulder shot I personally would stick to an expanding mono or bonded bullet and reserve the use of the much more explosive/frangible bullet for the behind the shoulder "high long shot" but that's just me and admittedly I'm a freak about terminal performance and keeping meat loss to a minimum while still ensure a clean, quick, humane kill.

Another great bullet for that choice of shot is the Hornady SST. They'll penetrate 3-5" consistently and then fragment violently.

Another consideration that is often ignored is the fact that high velocity impacts on major bones like the Humerus turns them into even more fragments. If you're shooting at something you intend to do a shoulder mount with the type of bullet and shot placement really need to be well matched to avoid ruining the trophy.

There's the big "IF". I frequently talk about matching placement to the expected performance of the bullet.
I agree with this…that is part of what I was referring to with the 'used as intended' part of a bullet. Like I said, I was comfortable with that shot and placement based on discussions with folks who have hunted quite a bit with that bullet, and now based on my own experience. But I wouldn't have the same POA with a lighter bullet out of the same gun.

My son (12) and I have shot maybe a dozen deer and a hog or two with his 6.5cr and have the same POA on deer with 140VLD's. Those shot in the same place as the elk was shot all dropped like they were hit in the head with a hammer, save one. I used it in Kansas on a good buck, probably weighed 225. He went down like the elk did, limping and crashing 15 yards away. But I wouldn't have the same POA on an animal any bigger than a deer with that gun.

I'm not saying I'm right, just that my experience with accubonds, ballistic tips, and Bergers I have found what works the best for me.

I agree with this…that is part of what I was referring to with the 'used as intended' part of a bullet. Like I said, I was comfortable with that shot and placement based on discussions with folks who have hunted quite a bit with that bullet, and now based on my own experience. But I wouldn't have the same POA with a lighter bullet out of the same gun.

My son (12) and I have shot maybe a dozen deer and a hog or two with his 6.5cr and have the same POA on deer with 140VLD's. Those shot in the same place as the elk was shot all dropped like they were hit in the head with a hammer, save one. I used it in Kansas on a good buck, probably weighed 225. He went down like the elk did, limping and crashing 15 yards away. But I wouldn't have the same POA on an animal any bigger than a deer with that gun.

I'm not saying I'm right, just that my experience with accubonds, ballistic tips, and Bergers I have found what works the best for me.
Well you may or may not be "right" but you're certainly not wrong.

Unlike many you seem to understand the need to match expected terminal performance to POA.

Right or not if you're consistently getting the intended result you're not "wrong".