Elk Hunting Bullets

With a 300 Win Mag, -- could I get some good feedback on the Berger 215 grain open tip match bullets performance and expansion when shooting between zero and 600 yard shots ? thanks very much...
Welcome to LRH and enjoy it! Do a search on Berger 215 and .300 WM, esp. BROZ's. Load that .300 WM and you're golden. Good luck! If you already have 215s and you decide to go a different route, I will be more than happy to take them. Good luck!

I will expand by saying I would be worried about a close shot into shoulder socket or solid bone.
At farther distance differs story. My win mag ran those and they shot well out to 1500. But very soft for close shots.
Bros has good info on them for sure. Make sure the tips are cleaned. But keep in mind bros is a fantastic shooter so he has a high probability of making that perfect shot. I'm not that good. I need something that if I'm not perfect it will do it job.

With a 300 Win Mag, -- could I get some good feedback on the Berger 215 grain open tip match bullets performance and expansion when shooting between zero and 600 yard shots ? thanks very much...

My only suggestion.....be very careful with bullet placement at shorter ranges! High velocities and thin jacket bullets do not make a good "reliable" partnership when hitting heavy bone or needing deep penetration on angling shots!

Also, match bullets are called that for a reason.....they often do not perform as desired when hitting flesh and bone!

For best performance.....do a "reverse stalk" and figure on better performance starting around 300 or so yards! From zero to 300 yards .....careful placement or a different bullet! JMO memtb

I have had good luck with the 215 Berger out of my 300 Win. Multiple deer in the 500 to 750 yd range. With one elk at 625 yds. The bullet has performed well, but I am thinking about trying a hammer in the 166 to 180 gr range. Depending on the hit with the 215 the meat loss can be substantial. It's hard to make the change when I haven't lost an animal or seen a failure. Most of my animals are shot under 500 yds so I think I might try a hammer this year. If you do use the 215 I wouldn't have any concerns. As mentioned just make sure to check that the tips are open before hunting. Plugged ones use to foul or shoot targets.

I have not seen a 215 OTM listed before. They make a 215 Hybrid Target though. In OTM they have 175,185, & 230 in .308

I would never shoot such a bullet at an elk, If you want to shoot targets way out though that's a good choice.

A good, heavy jacketed consistent and reliable bonded bullet like the Nosler Accubond, Hornady Interbond, or a Nosler Partition is ideal for elk.

Another good choice can be found in the expanding mono's, my preference runs towards the Peregrines and Barnes lines.

Same topic ( sortof ) but I am curious about the 180 gr Hornady SST bullets. I am wanting to start reloading for my Tikka 300 win mag and found some on a shelf this week. I didn't buy them and will probably regret it but I wasn't sure if they were good for Elk hunting. 300 to 500 yrds is about all I'd bee looking at for ranges. Thanks for any feedback

I have taken moose at 15 yards to 875 yards along with boos out to 950 yards bears out to 675 yards with them they are all I will use through my 300 win