Best Bullet for Elk Hunting??

muleythumper

I'm not a reloader YET, but am interested to know what you all believe to be the best bullet for elk hunting. I have hunted extensively for deer from Texas to South Dakota, and had excellent results with ballistic tips and Fed. Fusion. However, I don't know that they would be the best for elk. Suggestions? Thanks!

You will get many opinions on this subject. find a bullet that will shoot great out of your gun, short to medium range you cant go wrong with a nosler partion or accubond. long range I'm a fan of bergers. Elk are tough,good shot placement is 99%.

You will get many opinions on this subject. find a bullet that will shoot great out of your gun, short to medium range you cant go wrong with a nosler partion or accubond. long range I'm a fan of bergers. Elk are tough,good shot placement is 99%.

+1 What he said.

I have always had the best luck with the heaviest bullet per caliber.

After listening to serious elk hunters in Many states II am impressed with the reputation of the Swift 180 gr. , thirty caliber Scirrocco II''s both in design and construction.and performance.

As was so appropriately noted,, let your rifle tell you what it likes. Reccently I tested some Barnes bullets in a 7mm I own. They gave me the worst groupings of any bullets I ever tested and this is with a rifle I have owned for years and it shoots very accurately (usually). Does that make Barnes bullets bad? Nope, they just did not shoot well in this old Douglas Supreme barrel.

Gene S.

I'm not a reloader YET, but am interested to know what you all believe to be the best bullet for elk hunting. I have hunted extensively for deer from Texas to South Dakota, and had excellent results with ballistic tips and Fed. Fusion. However, I don't know that they would be the best for elk. Suggestions? Thanks!

It's kinda hard to recommend a factory ammo not knowing the chambering.

For instance, if it's .300 Win Mag, I'd go with HSM's 210 Berger VLD (http://store.iqmetals.com/trophygold300winmag210grvld.aspx) or ABM's 230 Berger (http://www.buyabmammo.com/300-winchester-magnum-230gr-berger-match-hybrid-target.html)

Sorry.....I reckon it just might help if you all were aware of the chambering. I shoot 7mmRM and 30-06, and I am considering something in 6.5 as well.....maybe 260 Rem., or 6.5x55 Swede.
Thanks again for any input.

Sorry.....I reckon it just might help if you all were aware of the chambering. I shoot 7mmRM and 30-06, and I am considering something in 6.5 as well.....maybe 260 Rem., or 6.5x55 Swede.

My hunting buddy harvested a MT bull elk at 300 yards (DRT) in 2013 using HSM's 180g Berger VLD Trophy Gold out of his Weatherby Accumark in 7MM Rem Mag. The 7MM Rem Mag would be my primary choice out of your list.

HSM also carry ammo for your other chamberings except for .260 Rem; I'd go with the heaviest bullet your rifles shoot accurately.

I have killed elk with 140 grain hornady a max and 140 grain sst in my 260. I have killed 2 elk this year with my 300 win mag with the applied ballistics 180 grain ammunition.

After listening to serious elk hunters in Many states II am impressed with the reputation of the Swift 180 gr. , thirty caliber Scirrocco II''s both in design and construction.and performance.

As was so appropriately noted,, let your rifle tell you what it likes. Reccently I tested some Barnes bullets in a 7mm I own. They gave me the worst groupings of any bullets I ever tested and this is with a rifle I have owned for years and it shoots very accurately (usually). Does that make Barnes bullets bad? Nope, they just did not shoot well in this old Douglas Supreme barrel.

Gene S.

I have been a hard core user of Barnes since the beginning. Early on they did not group well but for 100 yard shooting that was OK. I now use a M700 VSF 308 with 26" heavy barrel.. Believe it or not the Barnes 168 grain TTSX groups the best of any bullet. Although I would not use this gun for elk at shorter ranges I would use my M750 Whelen with 180 grain TTSX. Due to speed the 180 grainer in TTSX will give you more of every aspect than any 225 grain cup and core.

I too have been a Barnes user for many years. I shoot a .300 win mag, for elk, with 180 grain Barnes TSX bullets. 5 mature bulls , 1 shot and drop and 1 other leisurely walked 50 yards and dropped after a side to side pass through high lung shot at 292 yards. One bull shot at an oblique angle facing me uphill had the bullet stuck under the hide in the off side hip after breaking the opposite side front shoulder. It had traveled under the spine the entire length of the body after the 265 yard shot. Still have that bullet which retained 98% of it's weight. If your rifle will shoot these bullets accurately by all means use them!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.