ELD-X NOT recommended under 400 yards.

Interesting, I've never seen a Berger explode in a LOT of game, never had one not exit a deer and only one not exit an elk. Can't say we say anything nearly as good performance wise from the ELDs.
I shot my mule deer last year with 195gr Berger's out f my 28 at 275 yds. Slightly quartering away, first shot was right behind front shoulder, headed for exit slightly in front of offside shoulder. Solid hit. Animal didn't go down, and was right next to some private so hit it again, dropped right there. On recovery, neither bullet exited and I didn't need the second shot. Insides were soup and the largest piece I recovered weighed 73 grains. Next largest was 23-24. No exit, bullets came apart. Animal dead. Goes to show ya, bullets behave differently in different situations for different people.

I shot my mule deer last year with 195gr Berger's out f my 28 at 275 yds. Slightly quartering away, first shot was right behind front shoulder, headed for exit slightly in front of offside shoulder. Solid hit. Animal didn't go down, and was right next to some private so hit it again, dropped right there. On recovery, neither bullet exited and I didn't need the second shot. Insides were soup and the largest piece I recovered weighed 73 grains. Next largest was 23-24. No exit, bullets came apart. Animal dead. Goes to show ya, bullets behave differently in different situations for different people.
Saw exits on elk a little farther with the 28 but I imagine up close they wouldn't from what I saw. I preferred the 180 over the 195 but I'm going back to 215's or 230, just make me happier on elk than the 7mm.

Sounds like it's too late to matter now, but what specific information were you looking for regarding the Hammers? There are a lot of folks here on LRH who've shot them and could have helped you out.

Yeah, I posted here asking for what velocities I might obtain with the 225 Sledge Hammers out of my 26" barrel .338 Win. I must have missed you guys when I posted. Most folks here are very helpful. I figured that it wasn't a bullet that was experimented much here. It's not really a long range bullet.

thank you,

Cross

Imagine a bullet with great long range terminal preformance characteristics not being the best up close weird.

That said I've killed from 32 yards to 420 yards with it without any issues. The retained weight on a few was quite low but I didn't have blow ups on the hide or the crap some have said to have had

have killed moose at 40 yards to 660 yards with eld-x no issue
I would like to ask your advise and hear some stories from you some time. Im going on my first moose hunt soon and was planning on using the ELD-X. Could you give me more details on the moose kills?

Interesting, I've never seen a Berger explode in a LOT of game, never had one not exit a deer and only one not exit an elk. Can't say we say anything nearly as good performance wise from the ELDs.
The one time we used a Berger it never exited. Shot a mature NH whiretail with a 130 hvld at 2900 fps at 80 yards and it was like a hand grenade. The whole entry side of the ribcage was pretty much unusable. I did recover the jacket and a very small piece of the core for a total weight of 30 grains in the hide on the opposite side. We were fine with the performance dead is dead. Just would like to see a smidge less meat damage than that. The 140eld-m has been a solid performer almost always making an exit and the entry not quite so violent.

I shoot bergers in 7 wsm, 7 rum, 338 edge, 338 rum ,300 rum, put up 11 to 12 deer a year and I love and have the highest confidence in them. but I pick bullets in the .290+ SD range. The one rifle I have grown a good liking to is my 338 rum with a 250 berger, it is usually the only rifle I have that the bullet sometimes wont exit at closer ranges. I shot a 200+ pound whitetail at 80 yards dead in the shoulder, boom 180 degree toss and dented ground where he stood. the bullet caught by the off side skin bout the size of a fifty cent piece in a perfect mushroom with almost no meat loss. With a SD of .313 at 2950 it just seems to be a great killer, that 130 has a sd of .266 , I would pick one closer to .290 sd

I am not sold on the 195 , I built a 7 ultra rogue that I built for the 195 and it will bug hole it but the 195 seems to frag so I moved to the 180 and it performs great

......I looked at getting some Sledge Hammers for the hunt but was unable to get any load/expected velocity info from anyone. Also, I have no experience with them so while their reputation is good and I like the fact that they're made in the Bitterroot Valley, made the decision that I couldn't go wrong with A-Frames..........

I just ran across this myself, certainly atypical of Steve/Hammer. My partner shot a Boone/Crockett grizzly with a Swift A-Frame, a good bullet. Have fun!

I emailed Hornady, after we had that huge debacle about Brown bear with the ELD-X. I was curious why they recommended the SST from a .338 WM, and the 220 Interlock from a 30-06, when the 200,212,and 230 ELD-X is not. Even the 270gr in the Lapua isn't recommended for brownies.

View attachment 140982
interesting. The Elk I shot was about 185-200 yard away the 200- ELD-X penetrated from right to left, one taking out the heart the other the lung. both were recovered on the opposite side just under the skin. Their weight 78gr and 90gr respectively. The Elk basically dropped after 3-4 steps.

I was wondering why the extreme weight loss 110 to 120 grains. Now I have my answer. Thanks..

Ho, new member here. Reading this post with interest.
My son and I are going on an elk/moose hunt in the Northern Rockies, in BC. Lots of griz around. Outfitter suggested minimum 300 WM with 200 gr loaded. He isnt concerned about what will kill an elk or moose, he is thinking about what will penetrate a charging griz that presents a frontal chest or shoulder but not a heart/lung from the side. He wants bone shattering penetration from chest to arse.
I loaded some 190 gr Accubond LRs, and some 200 gr Eld-x and they shoot MOA to 300 yds in my son's T3. With the penetration concerns inside 400 yards discussed earlier, Im not sure the are adequate. I found an old box of Barnes TSX 200gr FB, and they shoot equally well. But supply is limited around here, so If I want a 200gr copper bullet I need to load Barnes 200gr LRX. Good local supply.
Appreciate any experience with the LRX terminal performance inside 400 yds. We leave in 45 days. Thx!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.