ELD-X NOT recommended under 400 yards.

Solid choice imo go as heavy for caliber as you can, grew up when the partition and grand slam were very popular when all three animals were on the menu, have not seen any recovered bullets of any kind on a frontal shot of a big bear but have seen all three from dead elk, key word being dead ...
Ho, new member here. Reading this post with interest.
My son and I are going on an elk/moose hunt in the Northern Rockies, in BC. Lots of griz around. Outfitter suggested minimum 300 WM with 200 gr loaded. He isnt concerned about what will kill an elk or moose, he is thinking about what will penetrate a charging griz that presents a frontal chest or shoulder but not a heart/lung from the side. He wants bone shattering penetration from chest to arse.
I loaded some 190 gr Accubond LRs, and some 200 gr Eld-x and they shoot MOA to 300 yds in my son's T3. With the penetration concerns inside 400 yards discussed earlier, Im not sure the are adequate. I found an old box of Barnes TSX 200gr FB, and they shoot equally well. But supply is limited around here, so If I want a 200gr copper bullet I need to load Barnes 200gr LRX.
Appreciate any experience with the LRX terminal performance inside 400 yds. We leave in 45 days. Thx!

This LR hunting bullet thing is getting to be as bad as the 6.5 craze.

There's a reason the old stuff is still around and going strong.

Use big boy bullets and leave the "match grade" stuff for the paper.

Took my 23rd game animal with the 143 ELDX this weekend. A 155lb boar hog DRT.

He was quartered away, shot landed middle of the ribs. Got the liver, lungs, clipped the bottom portion of the spine and stopped somewhere between the spinal column and muscle of the neck.

I did. All I got was "Good Luck"
You called me and asked if I could help you with loads, and all you got from me was "good luck"?

I am the only one here that answers calls and if anything I talk too much. So I am not sure what happened here but something does not sound right. It is certainly possible that I missed your call and did not get back to you, but I would never leave someone with no info and a good luck.

I think some chalk up poor shot placement with poor bullet performance. Read stuff like "It didn't expand" "it blew up on the hide" followed by "didn't recover the animal" "it was lost"

I would agree and add that there are shots thru the soft tissue between ribs that only hits thin lung tissue, that will probably not fully expand many bullets, but certainly kill, if not immediately.

You called me and asked if I could help you with loads, and all you got from me was "good luck"?

I am the only one here that answers calls and if anything I talk too much. So I am not sure what happened here but something does not sound right. It is certainly possible that I missed your call and did not get back to you, but I would never leave someone with no info and a good luck.

No, I'm sorry, this wasn't communicated very well. I didn't call you and you didn't say "good luck". I'm going to eat some crow here and apologize for posting that. It was a summary of what I remembered but it isn't correct.

I should have reviewed your response before posting that. Again, I apologize.

Cross

(I'd be happy to post my PM and your response if you want but won't do so without your permission.)

Last edited:
No, I'm sorry, this wasn't communicated very well. I didn't call you and you didn't say "good luck". I'm going to eat some crow here and apologize for posting that. It was a summary of what I remembered but it isn't correct.

I should have reviewed your response before posting that. Again, I apologize.

Cross

(I'd be happy to post my PM and your response if you want but won't do so without your permission.)
Go ahead. If I was in adequate I apologize.

Interesting, I've never seen a Berger explode in a LOT of game, never had one not exit a deer and only one not exit an elk. Can't say we say anything nearly as good performance wise from the ELDs.
Antelope.jpg

Big difference from my experience with Bergers vs ELD-X. This was a 168Gr hybrid hunter out of a 280AI at ~300 yards. I posted a previous picture in this thread of an elk I shot at 300 yards with an ELD-X with completely different results. Lost ZERO meat on the elk, Lost the front HALF of this antelope with very similar shot placement. Impressive damage from the Berger and I have no reservations that they perform on game. I just like to eat what I shoot and prefer a bullet that doesn't completely destroy any meat in its path.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.