DOES size matter??

Love308

I have a Browning BLR 308 with 19-20 inch barrel. Does having a shorter barrel really effect accuracy at mid ranges (100 to 500 yrds) that much??? BTW im not new to shooting guns but rather new to long range shooting...

In a word, no. Barrel length has very little to do with pure "accuracy." In some respects, they're even more conducive to accuracy than longer, less rigid barrels of the same weight.

Problem is, they do effect other facets that can have a very pronounced impact on accuracy. They reduce velocity over what you'd get with the same cartridge in a longer barrel. This, in turn, makes range estimation and wind reading far less tolerant of errors on the shooter's part. Not a problem with a scoped rifle, but if you're using iron sights, the shorter sight radius makes sight alignment all that much more critical. Not really a straight-up question of shorter barrels being less accurate than longer, but a conglomeration of many different factors that come into play here. For what you're after, I'd be more inclined to go with a longer barrel if that's an option.

I doubt a 308 was used much at the Houston warehouse..
And I doubt a shorter barrel will hurt -short range- accuracy much with the underbore 308.

A shorter barrel can hurt accuracy across the board with larger capacity for bore cartridges though. This because very high muzzle pressures slapping the back of boattail bullets, causes ugly release.
For accuracy, it's never a good idea to go with a barrel too short, or too long for the cartridge.
Nothing is free

Kevin/Mikecr pretty much sized it up.

I would add that 500 yds is not that far for a 308 Win if you're shooting paper/steel or medium game. Hence, a 20" barrel shouldn't suffer much with up to 168g bullets.

If you step up to 175gr+, then you may yearn for more barrel length and the right powder.

JMO
-- richard

Shorter barrels are stiffer so if same quality, generally speaking a short barrel will be more consistant then a long barrel of same contour, in theory.

What you loose is velocity a bit, slower velocity means more time in flight over distance which means more time for gravity and wind to effect the bullets trajectory.

Thanks for responding to my thread and thanks for the great information! i was unsure if my Brownings accuracy but now im wondering what is ideal velocity for a 308??

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.