Throat length, does it really matter that much?

Increasing the throat length gives more case volume, the same as improving a case does.

This is true, so back to the test. Since the bullets were seated against the lands in both chambers, was this a test of the same cartridge with different throats or a test of different cartridges with the same throat?

..for Quickload predictions, I believe you've answered your own question = "I believe they can be helpful but are not absolute". Modeling is and always was an approximation that helps cut back the noise in a study so you can focus your empirical efforts on meaningful testing.
This was done with a 300WSm that could not get enough speed out to be competitive at 1000. It was a .210 freebore with a Broughton barrel and could just barely get 2800. Now when you throated it out to .285 freebore you could get 2870. This was the same barrel same bullets same powder and same brass all shot 10 thousandth in the rifling. We have done this with more then one. Also with the Dashers by just lengthening the throat and adding powder. If making the capacity bigger by a couple of grains did no difference it would not help by Improving a Cheytec or any other case. Matt

Kirby, Great write up and very informative information. For almost two decades I've noticed similar data but felt having the bearing surface of the bullet seated above the neck shoulder juncture helped accuracy and ease of tuning the gun.

What are your thoughts on that aspect and deeply seated bullets causing either accuracy and/or tuning issues?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.