Question on barrel shank diameter , does it matter

James Jones

I've been noticing that alot of barrel makers offer barrel with differant shank diameter , I was just wondering if their is realy any differance between say a shank with the diameter of 1.25 or 1.20 or even 1.35.

[ QUOTE ]
I've been noticing that alot of barrel makers offer barrel with differant shank diameter , I was just wondering if their is realy any differance between say a shank with the diameter of 1.25 or 1.20 or even 1.35.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends how much weight you want, and WHERE you want it.

Also some of the LARGER actions have a larger thread size which work better with fatter barrels

like the Stiller Python -- 1.125 thread i believe -- 1.2 and 1.25 dont give you much of a shoulder on the tenon.

HTH,
JB

JDJones,

Generally the larger the barrel shoulder is the more weight you can have hanging off your receiver, at least to the structural limits of the receiver.

For receivers with a 1" diameter thread like the Rugers and Winchesters I would recommend a minimum of a 1.150" barrel shank and would prefer a 1.200".

For the Rem, Wbys and anything else with a 1.0625" thread diameter I like a 1.200" as min and prefer a 1.250" diameter barrel.

Basically, I like my barrel shoulders to be at least 0.065" deep.

The larger the barrel diameter the stiffer then will be. Again, barrel length plays a large role in stiffness but for a given barrel length, the larger the diameter the stiffer the barrel.

I never recommend using a barrel that is larger in diameter then the receiver unless the receiver will be floated by the use of a barrel bedding V-Block and even then it is really not needed.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

I was thinking about having a barrel shank the same as the Rem 700 action OD (1.35) for say 3" then a 1.5" taper to 1.00" then out to .900 basicaly a modifided Palma taper its either that or a 1.25 for 3" then taper to .875 at the muzzel do you see an advantage with one over the other

JDJones,

What finish length are you planning on using?

Anything under 30" will work fine with the 1.250" diameter. In fact anything over that will as well but you may get into some receiver flexing issues.

The larger 1.350" diameter will offer a larger barrel shoulder for support but it will also add barrel weigth which gets you back into the receiver flexing issue.

Personally I do not like to go past 30" on a Rem 700 using a conventional bedding system.

Anything longer then that or heavier then that and I use a barrel bedding v-block to eliminate any possible problem with receiver flexing or barrel whip.

I just designed my "Extreme Sporter V-Block" which is a modified version of my "Extreme V-Block" system used in my heavy rifles. This allows the use of tapered, lighter weight barrels with the same benefits of the V-Block system.

Your barrel discription is nearly identical to the Lilja #8 contour which I have fitted many of these to Rem 700s and Savage recievers with great results. These are 1.250" diameter barrels.

TO be honest, I would doubt you would see any benefit going with the heavier shank. It will add cost to make the special contour and if you use say a McMillan stock you will have to pay for the custom inletting.

Personally, I would say the possible advantages would not be worth the extra cost and effort.

It does look pretty sweet with a barrel the same diameter as the reciever espeically with a recoil lug that is also the same diameter on top like the Holland Comp Lug.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.