brake caliber size, does it really matter

ARlife4me

With those who have suppressors of a larger caliber and use them on smaller 1's does a brake fit for that caliber improve any in performance? Pretty much all of my 5/8x24 threaded barrels have a 30cal brake installed from 24, 26, 27 and 28 cals. Then again I have a 30cal rated brake on a 33cal gun (I checked before installing and it's 30thou over 33cal bullet size). Any experience 1 way or the other feel free to post?

I have several MBM brakes and all are fitted for each caliber about .020 over caliber size.
That makes them more effective. However I don't know how much less effective a oversized brake would be. I suppose you would have to test to find out. If they are as effective as you need then it doesn't matter if it is the most effective.
I would be interested in someones data who has tested them.

Search is your buddy on this one. Personally for me not enough ever to feel the difference shooting the gun. Yes, you could get your calculus and trigonometry engineer who will be able to calculate mathmatically the closer the bullet is to plugging the exit hole makes the brake more effective. I usse some larger calibers 7stw, 28nos, 300rum, 338edge, and many off the .308 case. Have a bunch of MTM brakes and even have some just for testing on rifles. All my rifles for a new brake get one in 338 even if it is going on a 6.5CM. If you want the brake more effective burn more powder behind bullet.
Edit. Yes normal brakes and with ASR brakes. They work great without the suppressor on it. There is a 45cal 5/8x24 for sale right now $50 bucks delivered. SMOKING PRICE!!!

If you don't have enough clearance for the brake, carbon can build up and cause bullet strikes. I can't imagine bullet strikes from a high powered round.

I guess I'll need to state effective a little differently? How much more or less could it affect accuracy and not so much on recoil or sight movement. Some of that could a style (radial, linier, etc) on what could be the way it exits the brake?

If you don't have enough clearance for the brake, carbon can build up and cause bullet strikes. I can't imagine bullet strikes from a high powered round.
Never have I seen this happen. I dont clean my brakes other than wiping them down to clean the residue off.

Seen quite a few 223 suppressors with strikes due to not being tightened down. Just tore the exit slightly to half again as big. They were sealed so I have no idea what the inside looked like. I have personally had two muzzle strikes on brakes. 1-7STW 120gr@3600 due to brake being loose. Did not feel it or notice anything until second shot. Then saw big impact at 50yds, and found it when looking. Now it has an extra little groove in the final hole. 2- Sent in a 338 brake to get it tapered and timed to a 300WM, and what I got back was unknown diameter. 175gr@3220 I noticed this one immediately from the smoke and bullet splatter all over. Struck the 2nd port first, tore up the next three including cracks and chunks tore loose, and blew the front of the brake out to a large ragged hole. Could they have been worse probably but they weren't.

Recent Posts