Do you think they’ll change the .270s twist rate?

Want to know what you're thinking will happen. I hope the manufacturers of standard hunting rifles will make the twist rate of their factory standard 270 Winchester's faster than the long established 1:10 twist soon for us handloaders, not as a custom option but a standard one. The sig.277 fury and the 27 Nosler are bringing with them true high bc 270 bullets and the promise of more to come, with 8.5 twists. I actually just sent an email to savage arms to see what the possibility of this happening is. I'd love to pick up a no-frills plain vanilla 111 in .270 win to replace my current plain vanilla 111 270 win with a factory standard 8.5 twist to load 170 Berger's, 165 and 175 matrix hunting vlds, attain better accuracy with the 180 woodleigh weldcore, and the new coming 165 ablrs. Do you thing anyone's going to revive the plain old 270 (and as far as I'm concerned the original true long range hunting dedicated cartridge) with a better twist?
Buy a new premium barrel at whatever twist rate you deem appropriate.

You can find 280AI pretty easily. Instead of waiting for .277" bullets to be developed, use .284" that is already well proven.

.270 has been around forever and hasn't gone to fast twist and heavy bullets yet. Why wait when you can go up by 0.007" and have plenty of proven bullets and loading data?

If you just want to complain about not getting exactly what you want, 270 is perfect. If you just want something close to your idea, it already exists.

Simply because the OP is asking about the .270 Winchester and not a .280 AI. Not really sure what you mean by waiting for .277 bullets to be developed/lack of heavy bullets; for heavier than 150 class, Matrix has 165 and 175 VLDs, Berger has the 170 EOL Elite Hunter, Hammer Bullets has the 156 and 168 Hammer Hunters, Nosler has the 160 Partition, Woodleigh has the 180 Weldcore PP, Hawk has the 180 RT, etc...

He can have a pre-fit for his Savage for the bullets that require a fast twist for the SG requirement. My .270 AI propels the 175 Matrix VLD at 2993 FPS (my current accuracy load) out 30" Lilja 1:8" 3G #6 barrel.

Here's an excellent article on .270 Win for LRH >>> https://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/270-win-for-long-range-shooting.580/

Last edited:
It depends on the market. As is the .270 Winchester in its current guise will fulfill the majority of hunters needs just fine. If people go crazy for it, it may happen. For people shooting 400 yards or less, it won't make a bit of difference.

The best way to get a manufacturer to listen is to give them feed back, manufacture don't know what's trending if no one gives them a heads up.

That's true ... and Nosler posted on their FB regarding the same. That the heavy 277 ablr was coming out based on feedback and encouraged all to send them email, post on their FB, etc. to let them know what you want.

I think it might be the chicken or the egg argument. Rifle manufacturers won't go to a faster twist because there are no factory loads that require it, and the ammo manufacturers won't make the ammo because there are no factory rifles to shoot it.

It might be but sometimes those that innovate will benefit in paving the way. Case in point, the successful collaboration/joint partnership between Ruger (a rifle manufacturer) and Hornady (bullet, brass/case, ammunition, and reloading manufacturer). Hornady has also partnered with other shooting entities.

Won't it be nice for Berger to start loading the 170 and partner with a rifle manufacturer(s)? The opportunity is there. 😇

I also pinged HSM (good old little company in our own backyard) "IF" they have any plans in loading the 170s. The worst they'll say is no or not at this time but it's a start.

Ed

Last edited:
Calvin. Have to talked to Mystic Precision in B.C.? He does a lot of pre fits. I just bought my first 110 savage action and am thinking of getting a pre fit as well. I'm going to call NSS and see what they can ship to us now that the changes in ITAR are through.

Agreed! Jerry Teo (Mysticplayer) used to frequent this site but he is last seen on Jun 12, 2013. He is probably too busy with his business.

To the OP: I will let you know the barrel life for the 27 Nosler. I have a rifle getting a barrel now.

To the poster(s) that ask why the 270... Because I like it. I like a 45 ACP and a 357 Magnum also, It doesn't make any one of them inherently better than anything else. And, Oh By The Way - the .277 is the REAL 7mm. Google the decimal equivalent to 7mm, You'll see.

To the OP: I will let you know the barrel life for the 27 Nosler. I have a rifle getting a barrel now.

To the poster(s) that ask why the 270... Because I like it. I like a 45 ACP and a 357 Magnum also, It doesn't make any one of them inherently better than anything else. And, Oh By The Way - the .277 is the REAL 7mm. Google the decimal equivalent to 7mm, You'll see.

Troublemaker! 😇

deer-eats-popcorn_64.gif

Why is .284 called a true 7MM? >>> https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/why-is-284-called-a-true-7mm.170727/

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.