Do you think they’ll change the .270s twist rate?

IBI barrels in BC are great barrels. Ttney will make you anything you want and have great products. Just had a 6.5 PRC built with om of their barrels and it shoots .25moa.

We have already move the standard twist for the 270 from 1-12 then 1-11 and now 1-10, I would think sooner or later it'll move again. It took a couple years of campaigning Savage to move to a 1-10 but they did.

We have already move the standard twist for the 270 from 1-12 then 1-11 and now 1-10, I would think sooner or later it'll move again. It took a couple years of campaigning Savage to move to a 1-10 but they did.
Hey B&G. Fill me in. When did all this movement take place, and who were the leaders?

Over time, all of my older 270 are 1-12 then we see a lot of 1-11's and Savage was 1-11 for some time don't know how long then some models went to 1-10 and then a few of us campaigned them to get all 270's to 1-10 now it needs to be tighter. We had to really work on the barrel makers to give us some support when Wildcat bullets was around and then Matrix came in with some heavies, once the barrel makers were mostly offering 1-9 or 1-8 then we were able to get Berger on board and get another heavy bullet, it's ripe to get manufactures to move again on the twist rate especially with the mono bullets becoming so popular. Savage will move easier than most!!

look into jc custom barrels they are in canada

The cost comparison is going to be purely relative to the buyer/end-user. @600 CDN ($430) is not too terribly bad for a locally made product. I paid $365 ($435 muzzle threaded and barrel with a matte finish) for the last pre-fit barrel from X-Caliber. I am not sure what the additional cost of importing a US-made pre-fit barrel "IF" allowed but WAG is that it is comparable. Just something to think about until factory rifles come with a faster twist rate barrel.

Thanks for the input everyone. Good to learn of a few more options I didn't know about regarding prefit barrels made in Canada- funny how Google doesn't show some of the things you're obviously looking for in the results. If Savage gets back to me with an email I'll be sure to share what they say. As bigngreen has said, if anyone's going to "go first" my money's on savage. I'm a big savage fan, always will be, I take a lot of smug enjoyment from seeing my "ugly" "sloppy actioned" "fisher-price stocked" "cheap" unmodified factory rifles give rifles that look sexier, cost 2-4 times as much money, are "better", etc a real hard run for their money. I respect the company for making unassuming unpretentious workhorses that don't pretend to be more than they are. Seems honest to me.

athe 270 winchester was designed for hunting not for target shooting. the rifle twist is correct and will never be changed.. if you want different twist the go to a 6.5 caliber,

athe 270 winchester was designed for hunting not for target shooting. the rifle twist is correct and will never be changed.. if you want different twist the go to a 6.5 caliber,
The 165 ablr and the 170 Berger eol and the 165 and 175 matrix vlds are explicitly designed and offered as hunting bullets. Not sure what the point is here, nothing to do whatsoever with differentiating between hunting and target shooting.

I am also hoping for more fast twist factory options.

Honestly, I doubt that there will much change in the basic models.

However, for more expensive factory rifles with "long range" stamped in the branding and more $$$ stocks, cerakoting, etc. I think you will see them.

Case in point, Barrett was already offering 1:9 in the Fieldcraft (not initially and I don't recall what model year they changed the 270win's from 1:10 to 1:9):

I would actually expect to see more options in .277 fast twist factory rifles in something like the 270 WSM vs. 270 WIN, though, as well. My 270 supporter friend is building a custom fast twist 270WSM now to shoot the heavier bullets. He is a HUGE 270 win fan but the analysis told him that he'd want to drive the heavys faster than the 270 win was capable of.

Same type of analysis is what drove the 27Nosler and the Fury cartridge.

If Weatherby's 6.5 RPM cartridge does well for them, maybe they will do a 270 RPM (and they'll likely leave the 270 WBY alone).

With the introduction of the 27 Nosler and the 165 Accubond Long Range bullet it's now more "mainstream" to use heavy bullets in a 270. Most barrel manufacturers make faster twist .277 barrels now. To me it's only a matter of time until the twist is made faster. I've been shooting a 270 Winchester since 1967 and always wondered about heavier bullets. Now it's here.

Solely an opinion, I think the .277 caliber high bc bullets will spawn factory cartridges i.e. a 27 Creedmoor, .277-08 and such. It'll be as the 6.5's went, the new cartridges will be vastly superior to the existing (sarcasm), and everyone will NEED one. The .270 Winchester although will remain the same 1 in 10 130gr bullet shooting icon as it always has.
Or with new bullet intros might cause someone to think a .270 Wea. with a fast twist tube might be better than a 6.5 PRC and have good factory ammo as a backup & the new Wea. ammo is cheaper now. And no, for some of us that have loaded awhile do fine with belted cases.
Oh, such delightful choices!

The heavier bullets for .270's are long range hunting bullets. The old 6.5 cartridges were all so hunting rifles, they had fast twist to stabilize the long 160gr. round nose hunting bullet for the 6.5's. They were not long range bullets, just long heavy for caliber hunting bullets. By having a fast twist for this purpose gave the 6.5's a head start for long range bullets.

To the OP's question, I think we will see at lest a few factory models with faster twist. The bullet manufactures answered to .270 guys wanting long range bullets, so rifle manufactures will see the need to at lest offer a model or two.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts