Do you think they’ll change the .270s twist rate?

Calvin, I have a 270 WSM that I've been shooting 140's and 160's in for a couple of years with a 1:10 twist barrel, and it has been very accurate. However, I cannot get 175 vld's to group worth a crap, probably because of the very long nose. I just ordered a new barrel for it; the barrel maker recommended the 9.5 twist, which should stabilize these longer 175 gr. bullets. But for the extremely long heavy bullets, you may want to go to a 1:9" twist. Good Luck!

Calvin, I have a 270 WSM that I've been shooting 140's and 160's in for a couple of years with a 1:10 twist barrel, and it has been very accurate. However, I cannot get 175 vld's to group worth a crap, probably because of the very long nose. I just ordered a new barrel for it; the barrel maker recommended the 9.5 twist, which should stabilize these longer 175 gr. bullets. But for the extremely long heavy bullets, you may want to go to a 1:9" twist. Good Luck!
I have a 270 AI in 1:9 twist it stabilizes everything good, except the matrix 175, my recommendation for everything that is available and anything else that might come out in the future get a 1:8 twist.

I have an older 700 LA that may get switched out to an updated .270 with longer throat and faster twist. RL26 has truly revised how I look at the old girl now. My current 51 year old .270 Win with new 24" Shaw barrel will push the 145 ELDX at 3100 easily and the 150 ABLR same with RL26 so it can now be looked at differently plus with longer barrel it will definitely be worth considering as posts have aptly stated here. So since the .270Win with faster twist, longer throat and probably longer barrel will become available, shouldn't it be called the next .270CM? The next build will definitely be the .270 with all the attributes cited within here for sure. It is still very pleasant to shoot versus the 6.5's so I never understood the recoil concerns when comparing the two calibers.

I just ordered a new barrel for it; the barrel maker recommended the 9.5 twist, which should stabilize these longer 175 gr. bullets. But for the extremely long heavy bullets, you may want to go to a 1:9" twist.

FYSA, Matrix Bullets recommends a 1:8" twist (https://matrixbullets.com/us/hunting-bullets-277-175-0gr-vld.html).

I have a 270 AI in 1:9 twist it stabilizes everything good, except the matrix 175, my recommendation for everything that is available and anything else that might come out in the future get a 1:8 twist.

Agrees, the 1:8" is a much better twist rate choice. My .270 AI has a 30" Lilja 1:8" 3G that stabilizes the 175 Matrix very well. What velocity and SG are you getting out of your 1:9" at your altitude? This might (?) play a factor. When I plug in my number in Berger's twist rate calculator, here's what I get ...

175 Matrix VLD .270 AI SG.JPG

But sometimes rifle/barrel set-up and load are just incompatible.

Last edited:
I'll add to this conversation with some positive news for 10 twist 270 shooters. I emailed matrix ballistics and inquired about the 155 match vld they now offer for 270 cal. The website suggests a faster than usual twist but in my email correspondence (and they were extremely fast to get back to me) they stated that a 1:10 would stabilize that bullet just fine, probably going to order some to try sometime soon. BC is unknown.

The 165 Matrix will work at some elevation in a 1-10 twist, we've been shooting them for years and they flat rock an elk!!
I believe you. I'm only at 1100 feet above sea level and when most hunting seasons happen here it's already somewhere between 0 and -25 celcius so that's right out of the question for me. Gives more confidence in that 155 tho. What cartridge you shooting them out of?

Matrix does state on their site the only difference between match and hunting vlds is the meplat on the hunting vlds is a little more open - wouldn't be hard to do that to the 155s.

Do you think they'll change the .270s twist rate?

No.

Well, apparently it has been available since the 1970s ...

Steyr M .270 1 8.6  twist.JPG

(SOURCE: https://www.steyrclub.com/threads/prohunter-270win-favourite-projectiles.7561/)

Stey Pro Hunter 1 8.6 twist.JPG

(SOURCE: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt.../topics/12582385/all/270-winchester-1-9-twist)

(~.32 mark shows the twist rate)

@Calvin45, it might be pricier than re-barreling your current rifle to a faster twist but YES a factory option is available, how well the others catches on is another story. 😇

Last edited:
Well, apparently it has been available since the 1970s ...

View attachment 187436
(SOURCE: https://www.steyrclub.com/threads/prohunter-270win-favourite-projectiles.7561/)

View attachment 187435

(SOURCE: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt.../topics/12582385/all/270-winchester-1-9-twist)

@Calvin45, it might be pricier than re-barreling your current rifle to a faster twist but YES a factory option is available, how well the others catches on is another story. 😇

cool! Learning all kinds of things from this thread. Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.